Day Ride from Barcelona

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CopB8

Reaction score
My wife and I will be spending 3 days in Barcelona next May as part of a longer trip. We just finished a spectacular 4 day Tuscany bike rental I was thinking I'd like to rent a bike for a day while in Spain. We're traveling with another couple who won't be riding so we only have a single day to ride.

I looking for suggestions on where we should go and what we should see. Want to pick the bike up in the morning and drop it off later that same day.

Thanks!

I was thinking about heading north up the coast. Probably about a 250km round trip. I thinks it's fairly mountainous and looks beautiful. I wonder if a scooter would be sufficient for a trip like that?

Also, one of the tripadvisor reviewers said that our US licenses aren't valid there and the motorcycle would be impounded if we got pulled over. Can anyone here confirm that?

I was thinking about heading north up the coast. Probably about a 250km round trip. I thinks it's fairly mountainous and looks beautiful. I wonder if a scooter would be sufficient for a trip like that?

Also, one of the tripadvisor reviewers said that our US licenses aren't valid there and the motorcycle would be impounded if we got pulled over. Can anyone here confirm that?
Driving Guide for Foreigners in Spain:

Many tourists who go to Spain will want to rent a car and drive around in Spain. There are a few practical things they should know before they rent a car.

1. The Spanish drive on the right side of the road.

2. International Driving Permit Information:

The web page of the American Embassy in Spain says that an American needs to have the international driving permit and a driving license from his state to drive in Spain for 90 days. Recently (July, 2013) an American from California who did not have the international driving permit was fined 250 euros.

It is advisable to bring one’s passport when one is driving, or a reproduction of the page which has the owner’s picture.

https://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html When traveling overseas, carry an International Driving Permit ... even if you're not planning to drive. Should you need to communicate with foreign authorities, this recognizable form of identification can help you get on your way more quickly.

Valid in over 150 countries, the permit contains your name, photo and driver information translated into ten languages.

map2.jpg
Before you travel the world, travel to any AAA office for your International Driving Permit. Bring your valid U.S. driver's license, $15USD , and two ORIGINAL passport-type photos (also available at AAA offices). You may also wish to fill out our International Driving Permit application in advance.

NOTE: International Driving Permits may not be issued more than six (6) months in advance of desired effective date.

Simply print out the application, fill in the information requested and bring it with you to the AAA office nearest you. If you prefer to secure your International Driving Permit through the mail, enclose your completed application form, two ORIGINAL passport-type photos each signed on the back, a $15USD permit fee and a photocopy of both sides of your driver's license and mail them to the AAA office nearest you (check locally for payment options). Include additional U.S. funds for expedited return mail service, if desired.

See USPS.com, Fedex.com or UPS.com for rates.

Last edited by a moderator: