Dealership Is Giving Me A New Gas Tank...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old Pilot

Reaction score
Had my TPS recall done today at a dealership I'd never been to before. This is the first time I've had the FJR to a Yamaha dealership since I bought it last year.

They did a bang up job on handling the TPS recall and I'm pleased with their service.

There was a glitch though. The mechanic let my gas tank fall to the floor. It hit my peg on the way. Oops!

The service manager gave me the news and before I could say anything he added that he was ordering a new tank for me. My tank was in very good condition, no dents, no gouges, only some swirls and a few fine hairline scratches.

Yeah, it's a screw-up, but stuff happens. I'm still pleased with them.

I have no idea what a new tank costs but I guess it's several hundred bucks.

Here's a pic of the damage. The dent is approx 4" in diameter, the impact point is obvious. Sorry I could not get a better pic, the thing is just too damned shiny. :rolleyes:

008.jpg

Ouch, that's an expensive mistake. I bet it's more than that even at dealer cost. RonAyers.com says:

Mfg. Part Number: 3P6-YK241-00-P4

MSRP: $858.27

Your Price: $638.58

Wonder if that includes paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, good to see them take responsibility. I just wonder what they were doing that the tank could fall off the bike? Generally, all you need do is remove the two bolts at the front of the tanks and pivot it up out of the way.

And yes, all body parts do come painted.

Had my TPS recall done today at a dealership I'd never been to before. This is the first time I've had the FJR to a Yamaha dealership since I bought it last year.
They did a bang up job on handling the TPS recall and I'm pleased with their service.

There was a glitch though. The mechanic let my gas tank fall to the floor. It hit my peg on the way. Oops!

The service manager gave me the news and before I could say anything he added that he was ordering a new tank for me. My tank was in very good condition, no dents, no gouges, only some swirls and a few fine hairline scratches.

Yeah, it's a screw-up, but stuff happens. I'm still pleased with them.

Here's a pic of the damage. The dent is approx 4" in diameter, the impact point is obvious. Sorry I could not get a better pic, the thing is just too damned shiny. :rolleyes:

008.jpg
We had a customer knock over a Katana 750 at the dealership one time. The tank hit the foot peg on the bike next to it,denting the tank. The new fuel tank was $750.00!! They are very expensive.

Wow. I had no idea they were that expensive. The dealer is taking a hit and I'm sure they did not make much profit doing the recall work.

Don't know how the mechanic let the tank fall, wasn't allowed into the work area.

I'm wondering if they'll be installing my lock into the new tank. I hope so.

The new tank will come sans gas cap and they will install your old one onto the new tank. Simple and quick.

@FredW - I'm betting that the tech has now learned that lesson. ;) Seems a lot of them prefer to remove the tank completely during service though. Even with my fuel cell and bulkhead fitting, they tend to remove the tank completely. One more thing for me to double check when I get the bike back. :glare:

Give the dealer some props. It's pretty nice that they stood up right away and didn't try and just bondo and paint it.

The new tank will come sans gas cap and they will install your old one onto the new tank. Simple and quick.
@FredW - I'm betting that the tech has now learned that lesson. ;) Seems a lot of them prefer to remove the tank completely during service though. Even with my fuel cell and bulkhead fitting, they tend to remove the tank completely. One more thing for me to double check when I get the bike back. :glare:

Give the dealer some props. It's pretty nice that they stood up right away and didn't try and just bondo and paint it.
Cool, thanks.

Talking with the service manager after I saw the damage, he said if it had been a simple dent they may have negotiated a repair with me but because there was a sharp impact strike which would have required filler, they felt obliged to replace the tank. They've definitely earned my respect so far.

I will ask them why their procedure is to remove the tank for the TPS install.

Once the new tank is actually installed to my satisfaction I may post the dealer's name.

The new tank probably comes without the fuel pump and that will be swapped over. Dealers often sell their "mistakes" on eBay. If they give you the old tank back, you could put it on eBay.

I guess that mechanic has never worked on an FJR. He definetely didn't need to remove the tank for the TPS removal.

That taught him a hard lesson.

Update-

Had an appointment this morning & they installed the new tank. It looks good. One small bitch is that they oriented the tuning fork badges incorrectly, with the tines pointing upward. No big deal tho & I can live with it.

The dealer is Megamotorsports in West Plains, MO. Like most of the bike dealers in this area, their biggest sales & service revenue is from 4-wheelers or quads or whatever they are called. They sell Yamaha, Honda & Kawasaki. They've been a Yamaha dealer for only a bit over a year. There are quite a few 600cc sport bikes in their showroom and they seem to be trying to grow a larger share of the bike business as compared to the quads. I saw my first new VFR1200 today, bright red. It was still in the shipping crate. Gotta say it looks better in person than in photos.

The owner ordered at least 6 pizzas from Pizza Hut at lunch and I was invited to eat. Yum, pizza.

:good: To them.

A dealer that goes the distance to correct the mistake deserves your repeat business. Eastside Moto in Bellevue put a small 1 inch light scratch in my side bag accidentally. They could have sent it out to Garauld for a simple respray, but they ordered a whole new bag.

I don't go to a dealer often, but when I do, they will get my business. Bought a little PeeWee Yammy from them for my boys.

Update-
Had an appointment this morning & they installed the new tank. It looks good. One small bitch is that they oriented the tuning fork badges incorrectly, with the tines pointing upward. No big deal tho & I can live with it.
I haven't decided if I am going to put the Yamaha emblems back on my gas tank. I have them but I kind of like clean looks without them. If I do eventually put them on I will make sure to orient them properly. :rolleyes: If it bothers you enough you could just remove them.

I don't like it. It's creepy and goes against the natural fiber of Service Departments. What they should have done to put your mind at ease was not mention it at all in case you didn't notice. Then if you did they should have strung you along while they looked into it. This would give them time to find a Used tank someplace. As for matching Paint that is just ridiculous. Giving you a Blue one would remind you of your place as a Paying Customer every time you saw it.