Dealing with the dealers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've got an awesome dealer up here in sioux falls, sd. midamerica motoplex. got my 05 abs for 11,500 out the door. all service for 4 years (unlimited mileage) cost me like $500. and the chief mechanic rides an fjr. they match prices on tires and everyone knows me by name. big dealership, but they have treated me very well.

-bret

Good and bad info here for all persons planning on purchasing a bike, regardless of brand or model. I had a similar experience but that's for a different thread.

The bad..

I really don’t understand these guys that call several dealers and let them know they are interested in buying a product that they all sell. Really crazy when you let them all know you will be contacting their competitors and will purchase from the dealer in which you feel provides the most competitive price. Forcing a dealer to sell a bike at a loss, basically taking money from their families, just so they can get a good deal. I just don’t get it ….
This practice is quite standard in retail sales (it's called "transactional sales") and all dealers are familar with it! (as a former dealer - not Yamaha - and a college sales class instructor, I know this to be true). A prospective buyer is not offending anyone and the dealer is not forced to participate. Although the dealer may receive little or no "profit" over the typical off-the-street buyer, the dealer still has the same opportunity to treat the customer well, initiate a relationship, and "add value" to the transaction such that the buyer, feeling he was treated well, will consider making future purchases from that same dealer. That's where the dealer will "profit" from transaction.

Definitely troll behavior to then force the dealer to agree in writing, accept a deposit, and make them place the order. Only to have the nerve to check and make sure the dealer followed through AND BITCH when the dealer didn’t order it. I mean “what the hell”??? They quoted him the lowest price already.
Always, always, always get it in writing!!! Another practice no reputable dealer will find offence with. Can we all say this together, "Offer - acceptance - consideration (payment) equals contract." Include in your written agreement (contract) that the dealer will properly place the order on the first day of the program (add the appropriate date). If the dealer fails to perform, the dealer has breached the contract!

So the good info: get it in writing with all the details that are important to you; ask for proof that it was processed accordingly. If you're uncomfortable with these "demands," explain that you have a friend who has been burned by a dealer who didn't follow through on the process (we're all friends here, eh?).

Did I mention that for my day job I'm a lawyer.... :D

I guess I don't get the badge of honor for having to endure "the wait". I bought my 05 FJR in January of 05. It was at a shop in Vancouver Washington on consignment with 680 miles on it. I definitely didn't steal it as I paid a few hundred over MSRP which was fine with me because 1) I was riding it out of there that day and 2) It already had Two Brothers exhaust on it. 18000 miles later including a SS1000 in June and I couldn't be happier with this purchase.

I guess I don't get the badge of honor for having to endure "the wait". I bought my 05 FJR in January of 05. It was at a shop in Vancouver Washington on consignment with 680 miles on it. I definitely didn't steal it as I paid a few hundred over MSRP which was fine with me because 1) I was riding it out of there that day and 2) It already had Two Brothers exhaust on it. 18000 miles later including a SS1000 in June and I couldn't be happier with this purchase.
I for one don't get the wait thing at all. THe fjr is like every other bike we just seem to choose it before it come to the dealers.

If I decide that in May of 05 that I want a new Kaw, or Suzuki chances are they are sold out and I will have to wait until 06's come in or keep looking around hoping I find one. I was shopping at one time for a GSXR-750 which is an extremely hot bike and they don't sit around for long at all. All they had were 600's. I would have had to wait or look for something else.

To me it is all mind set, on how we look at it. When we put the money down and get an agreement it means we no longer have to keep looking around or limiting our choices to what some dealer may or may not have in stock.

When I bought my Vstar I was originally going to purchase the Custom. However it was 3 months out, and 3 months later still no bike. However the entire time they had the classic sitting there and I couldn't wait any longer so I rode out that day with the Classic.

It wasn't really the bike I wanted but the one I ended up with.

THe PDP means I can put dibs on a bike I want and no one can "beat" me too it.

I personally like the idea...

I agree with Radman. Its hard for a dealer to take a customer seriously over the phone when they won't even come into your dealership to discuss the purchase.

Agree his original dealer F'd him around, but thats life. It all worked out and he got a bike at a good price.