Declining interest in the IBR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Lumpy

Reaction score
While I'm fascinated by the IBR, I've noticed a decrease in forum traffic (here and elsewhere).  The 2015 IBR thread here went 69+ pages, the 2017 IBR 51+, and the 2019 IBR 31+.  This year it's unlikely that we'll reach 20+ pages in the Official IBR thread here.  Why?  People have moved on?  Young(er) people aren't interested in something that unfolds over 11 days?

Thoughts?

BTW, thanks to Ignacio and the FJRForum folks for again hosting the best location online for IBR info!

Lumpy

I'm betting on the younger riders have other things on their mind. Hard to mindlessly text all day on a motorcycle. Myself, I'm planning on getting my IBA number. Some of the effort these riders put in just to keep going is inspiring. And the more senior motorcycle riders generally are pretty fine people overall. I'd loan my bike to an IBR participant with no second thoughts. Cant say that for a lot of other groups.

I'd say FB has taken away some of the traffic here and at ADV
This is likely the bigger culprit I think, but that IBA group is private.

While I was gung-ho about eating miles between 2007 and 2012, since then I've been lucky to have time to just get out to a FJR rally/regional event.  However, the last one was NAFO, in Montrose, CO. :(   So it might also be a shifting mindset.

Maybe having been couped up last year and most of this year will lead more people to venture out and get some IBA certificates, or at least to see cool places on two wheels

COVID year for the IBR part and and less traffic on this forum as an FJR resource are the two big variables.  Things change.

I never have had any interest in getting a patch. 

I've logged over 350,000 miles over 40 years of riding on the street and track.

Done many 700-800+ mile days but never cared to go the extra few hundred miles and collect gas receipts. 

I have many riding friends who haven't gotten a patch either that easily could if they cared. 

Just my $.02

The thing about rallying is that it is a total escape- it takes so much focus, it’s like scuba diving. When you’re on the clock, nothing exists but the next bonus, and thinking about your plan and contingencies. 

not that it’s for everybody… it would be a boring world if we all liked the same stuff

I never have had any interest in getting a patch. 

I've logged over 350,000 miles over 40 years of riding on the street and track.

Done many 700-800+ mile days but never cared to go the extra few hundred miles and collect gas receipts. 

I have many riding friends who haven't gotten a patch either that easily could if they cared. 

Just my $.02
I get that. Over the years I've heard lots of people say the same thing... until the first time they try to do a SS1K AND document it. Something about the process makes the job tougher.

Its not the patch so much as proving to myself I can do it. A happy customer over a successful job well done means more than any material reward. Young guys here at the shop did not even know such a thing as the Iron Butt Rally existed. 2 of them are following the progress via the Iron Butt website. I think the competitive spirit in them is interested. Is it really a declining interest or just that fewer young people own FJR's or follow this forum?

As a newbie Forum back-bencher, this has been The Best 11 days of riding my computer screen, early up in the morning and latter fretting about the riders at night.  Even my two-upper is asking how they're doing!

If this is the action on Declining Interest, then you guys (and Wendy) must have been on fire back in the day, but with no instant tech to give instant status report, I suspect there might have been some conflating.

All this to say, as it has been done already, thanks to all you forum riders and the Admin for sharing everything you put into this spectacular show.  Only my jealousy burns hotter!

I think the 'Official IronButt Rally Scribe' has something to do with it. Notice how little he did this year compared to the historical recordings of yesteryear. Without the day to day reporting, it is hard to get excited about what is happening. I want to know who is having a good rally and who is having second thoughts, and the only person who can tell us is the 'ORS'. I hit the IB site many times each day hoping for info, and the only thing showing us any info is the Spotwalla page...the ORS posted very little except for a couple of one paragraph blurbs once the rally riders actually left the gates.

I think the 'Official IronButt Rally Scribe' has something to do with it. Notice how little he did this year compared to the historical recordings of yesteryear. Without the day to day reporting, it is hard to get excited about what is happening. I want to know who is having a good rally and who is having second thoughts, and the only person who can tell us is the 'ORS'. I hit the IB site many times each day hoping for info, and the only thing showing us any info is the Spotwalla page...the ORS posted very little except for a couple of one paragraph blurbs once the rally riders actually left the gates.
One important fact that you are missing here:  The IBR is for the RIDERS, we are lucky they allow us to follow along.  

Sitting at the finishers banquet last night, as Mr. Kneebone reminded everyone not to live stream the banquet or post a delayed stream of the banquet.  As he said, the banquet is for you that rode it, or have some connection to those that did.  He got a huge round of applause from the riders.  In short, the rally is for the riders, we are lucky that the IBR allows us to watch and follow along.   

As Mike also said, if they want to see it, then let them apply and ride in it.  I don't think you'll get much more than what was published since it seems the sharing of information and when comes directly from the top of the organization.  He made it very clear that he didn't care about those watching, that the rally was all about the riders present and making sure they had the ride of their lives.  

Frankly, that's where the IBR staff focus should be.  Seeing the finish this year gave just a small snapshot of the logistical effort it takes and the army of dedicated volunteers to make it happen.  It is a site to behold.

my $.02

One important fact that you are missing here:  The IBR is for the RIDERS, we are lucky they allow us to follow along.  

Sitting at the finishers banquet last night, as Mr. Kneebone reminded everyone not to live stream the banquet or post a delayed stream of the banquet.  As he said, the banquet is for you that rode it, or have some connection to those that did.  He got a huge round of applause from the riders.  In short, the rally is for the riders, we are lucky that the IBR allows us to watch and follow along.   

As Mike also said, if they want to see it, then let them apply and ride in it.  I don't think you'll get much more than what was published since it seems the sharing of information and when comes directly from the top of the organization.  He made it very clear that he didn't care about those watching, that the rally was all about the riders present and making sure they had the ride of their lives.  

Frankly, that's where the IBR staff focus should be.  Seeing the finish this year gave just a small snapshot of the logistical effort it takes and the army of dedicated volunteers to make it happen.  It is a site to behold.

my $.02
And a very good investment for $.02. ;)

<< snip >>

He (Mike K. ) made it very clear that he didn't care about those watching, that the rally was all about the riders present . . . 

<< snip >>
Similar comments are made every time the IBR is run, and I guess that I am OK with that, but I can't help but wonder if the on-line spectators are of no importance, why bother even having an Official Rally Scribe and publishing update articles ever day and having "almost real time" SpotWalla track ?

Either the IBA want people to know what is happening, or they don't.  At the moment it seems they are trying to be somewhere in the middle. A bit like"Yes, the IBR is running, but No you can't know what is happening".

It seems to me that in years gone by, the daily Rally reports gave some idea of what "drama" was occurring, but over the last couple of IBRs, the reports have become somewhat "vanilla / beige". 

The real fun starts now in tracking down the Riders Blogs/Rally reports.  They are usually a lot more colourful.

At the moment it seems they are trying to be somewhere in the middle.
That part is true.  Much of the rest is not....or distorted.

I would note that your thoughts about previous "drama" reports is probably more related to writing style.  You're probably thinking of rallies written by now-retired Bob Higdon who was a regular magazine writer, internationally published, and definitely a different style and depth. 

the ORS posted very little except for a couple of one paragraph blurbs once the rally riders actually left the gates.
Let's try and resist Monday morning armchair quarterbacking please.  And as the author for several recent rallies noted on Facebook, If you think you can write better....submit a draft to Kneebone and Landry and see how it goes.  Thanks in advance. ;)

In short, the rally is for the riders, we are lucky that the IBR allows us to watch and follow along.   
Nailed it.

I have to agree with all of the above. The IBR is about the Riders but not all Riders (Finishers) are in every rally so this spectator thing have been "a thing" since about the 2nd or 3rd rally. The means of communication have improved so reports are more current. That bit the Riders back during the years of the Dollywood bonus so the organizers dialed it back and have been working to keep the rally activity in a time-delayed mode on purpose.

Auburn: Actually, I have missed nothing. Someone asked a question and I gave an answer that may or may not have been totally accurate as far as others may be concerned. I've been to the banquets a few times, and Mike always says that. BUT. We all have families, and they are tremendously interested in what the other riders are doing, and the only way for them to know that is the ORS.

Ignacio: Fair enough in re: can I write better. But leave your snide 'thank you' to yourself, it only diminishes what you are saying, as someone like you who writes for FB should know. (see how that diminishes what I am saying?)

Am I a 'published' author? No. Have I ridden in the IBR, no, but I applied and was found wanting, so it is not for lack of trying. I have run the Buttlite, HOT, and numerous other rallies, so my take on the IBR isn't without some knowledge of what goes on in a rally, and I would appreciate a little more 'drama', even if it is only the messages that the riders leave when they make their call in bonuses. And, as an aside: my writing skills are respected far and wide, as are my good looks and razor sharp mind. Also, Bob Higdon is a real treasure, and a true knight among men.