DFW area group, 1st ride for 06's?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TejasFJR

Reaction score
I know so much of when we'll be able to start putting some miles on our bikes depends on when they might actually start showing up, but I thought it might be nice to start collecting possible event/ride information for the DFW crew.

I decided to not look for anything any earlier than mid-April and I know even that is a bit optomistic but why not.

So here is what I came up with:

Date: April 22, 2006

City: Iraan, TX

Where: County Park, TX

Event Description:

Mesquite Wood BBQ's

Third Annual

Sportbike Extravaganza

"Organized Chaos"

April 22,2006

County Park

Iraan,Texas

Free BBQ,Drinks,and Camping,50/50 drawing with door prizes

Benefitting Iraan's Senior Citizen Center

Contact Info: e-mail: [email protected]

call: 432/639-6115

Distance from Metroplex: ~380

Date: April 27-30, 2006

City: Fredericksburg, TX

Where: Texas Hill Country, TX

Event Description:

DFW Vulcan and Owners Club is proud to sponsor one of the fastest growing rides in Texas!

Mark you calendar now for the DFW VROC Hill Country Ride, April 27 - 30, 2006

ALL BIKES WELCOME.

We're looking forward to this event being even bigger than 2005. Come join us for some great riding in the beautiful Texs Hill Country.

Visit our website at www.hcrix.com for more details and to let us know you're coming.

e-mail: [email protected]

call: 682-472-5157

Distance from Metroplex: ~270

Date: May 5-7, 2006

City: Ingleside, TX

Where: Live Oak Park, TX

Event Description:

GYPSY MC Corpus Christi Chapter presents the CINCO DE MAYO 2006

Live Oak Park

Ingleside, Texas

Directions to Rally Site:

At the intersection of TX-361 and FM1069 in Ingleside go South on FM 1069 and continue to Sherry Street and the sign to Live Oak Park. Turn left on Sherry and enter Live Oak Park.

Registration Information:

Pre-Registration:

Adults $18 (Pre-reg ends May 1st)

Gate Registration:

Opens at 10am Friday

Adults: $20

Kids 10-16: $7

Ages 9 & Under FREE!!

Registration Fee Includes:

* Poker Run

* Usual GYPSY Refreshments

* Music

* Cowboy Showers

* Camping ~ Games ~ Fun

* Saturday Evening Meal

* Contingency Prizes

* Run Patch (Limited Qty)

call: (361)767-8721

Distance from Metroplex: ~440

Date: May 13, 2006

City: Austin, TX

Where: Hill Country, TX

Event Description:

The 5th Annual Ride For The Fallen will be May 13, 2006. The ride benefits the Peace Officers' Memorial Foundation (POMF) which provides among other benefits, college scholarships and family assistance to the survivors of Texas Peace Officers killed in the line of duty. For more information and to register please visit POMF.ORG link

call: 512/495-9111

Distance from Metroplex: ~200

Date: May 20, 2006

City: Blanco, TX

Where: Yett Park, TX

Event Description:

2 miles South of Blanco on US 281. Registration starts at 8:00

First bike out at 9:00am, Last Bike in at 3:00pm

Registration $15, second hand $10 - Best hand prize $200

Motorcycle games 3:30 pm - Door prize drawings 4:00

Classic Car Show in town same day.

Ride the Texas Hill Country!

call: 830-833-0995

Distance from Metroplex: ~260

Thoughts? Additions? Who is in?

Last edited by a moderator:
None of those large group rides would ever see me in attendance. Most are either overloaded on testosterone or beer.

A ride of folks willing to ride "the pace" and not try and turn something into a competition on the public roads (or jockying for position, or ambling along at -10 mph, or stopping at every scenic lookout, etc.) would really get me interested.

Mark,

Count me in for that. I've read about "the pace" but have never been on a group ride with anyone that did it which is why I tend to always ride alone.

I'm with Bounce,

I would rather get a group of Local FJR's together rather than deal with the large groups of people that may not share my interest.

Although, I could be persuaded to check out an event or two, maybe.

Otherwise, my 05 is ready, willing and able.

Mark

I, too, would like to keep it to a smaller group. I ride like a tourer in a group and get annoyed with having to keep up. my friend and riding buddy is a realtor and we live in south fort worth. we have been all over the place south and west of here. He comes up with some great routes. when my wheels come, i'm sure we'll be in! anywhere is fine!

M-

Saturday looks like sunny and 67°.

Anyone wanna head over to Hico and back? (Chalk Mountain, Glenn Rose, Tx51, blah blah blah)

Sounds like a perfect day, but I'm already committed with other things (and yes, I should likely be committed too)

Saturday looks like sunny and 67°.
Anyone wanna head over to Hico and back? (Chalk Mountain, Glenn Rose, Tx51, blah blah blah)
Yes I would like to ride.

I am in Rockwall where do you want to meet?

Well, that just figures, I have to work this Saturday.

If you guys decide on Sunday, I'm in.

Otherwise, I will have to catch the next one.

Mark

I can sure do a ride tomorrow if others want to. I'm in mid cities. If we hook out of the ft. worth area around 20 and 377 to head south that might be a good place to join up. According to Google, there's a Race Track on 377 just s of the sw loop 820/20 junction.

Race Track Petroleum

8900 Highway 377 S

Benbrook, TX 76126

(817) 249-9036

That would have us heading out together after all the metromess and within striking distance of some of the roads mentioned. How about 10am? That would give everyone a chance to get there from wherever they are in the 'Plex.

Anyone have some favorite roads? I'm not big on organized/organizing routes and such. I know some of the roads down there but wandering around is what I usually do. That can really click with excellent results some times. Other times... But it's all good. "Keeping up" with me won't be difficult. If someone wants to "show there stuff" they won't be doing it for long before they have left me behind and no longer have an audience. :bigeyes: I've followed some riders who've really had me working to even come close to keeping up. They then said that they were just taking it easy instead of pushing like they sometimes do. :blink:

Who's going to be lead bike? :dribble:

I had a lot of fun today. I hope that the ride wasn't too slow for anyone. We had Rocket, Fallen Jim and Ladybug (Gini), and Tripletango show up this morning.

hico01.jpg

We headed out as planned and got all the U turns out of the way first thing. I was trying to take some of the lake roads around Benbrook Lake and kept missing the roads I was trying to find or the roads would start out good then route away from the lake and into residential areas. Over lunch, Jim explained that the Army Corp of Engineers (and other construction) had changed so many roads around the lake that the one's I was trying to lead us to were either no longer there or dramatically changed.

Giving up on lake side roads, we cut a choagie south through Granbury, found FM51 and then discovered the next U turn hidden along the way. It was a choice between continuing on down FM56 (boring) or pull a yooie to get back to FM204/51 (fuuUUUuun). So, with everyone else's ride more important than any remaining shred of personal dignity, we turned around from our southbound FM56 path and picked FM204/51 back up.

Turning off of FM51 early (and missing the best parts) we FM205. I had a plan...

FM205 was a nice bit of blacktop with a nice chat break waiting for us in the guise of Dinosaur Valley State Park. The park attendant let us in without charging the $5 entry fee. It pays to ride!

hico03.jpg

After the photo op, a bit to drink, and a facilities break. We saddled back up and headed on southward, We passed near Glen Rose and then shifted to "ludicrous speed" on FM220. As we neared Hico, we downshifted from "plaid" for re-entry. We pulled in to the Koffee Kup and found a parking lot full of bikes but just a short wait to be seated.

A good lunch, EXCELLENT conconut cream pie, and tons of good times with new friends later and we figured it was time to head back. We retraced out steps but took the southern end of FM51 (much more technical but still with some grit and gravel in placed). It paid to ride "the pace" so that nothing was hiding around a blind curve; waiting to surprise us.

Back up near 171 and 377 we pulled off into a parking lot to shake hands and say our goodbys as we all had different ways toward our homes. Tripletango had to head back east. Rocket and I followed Jim up Kelly and Bear Creek to I20 where Rocket and I split off and headed back toward Ft. Worth.

Excellent weather. Outstanding friends. Mile high pie!

Sounds like a fun day of riding, Mark. I have ridden many of the roads southwest of Grandbury on my RT and most are lightly traveled. Looking forward to riding with the DFW FJR group when my AE arrives.

John

Good weather, good company, good ride on some of the better roads in this area.

Heck, after riding with my harly friends, this was great. I didn't doze off once.

High point - First time I have seen an FJR that wasn't mine.

Looking forward to future rides with you all.

And I wouldn't call the speed on 220 ludicrous so much as a comfortable pace on straight flat road with unlimited vis.

If I could just remember to turn off that left turn signal every time.....thanks tripletango

Great to meet everyone. Nice ride new friends, faces to put with names. Thanks Bounce, Fallenjim + SO and Rocket for a great day.

It was lots of fun! Great meeting you all, and I hope we do it again. Maybe northwest next time to see some "weird" Texas. :hmmm:

For the record, I don't have a SO. <_<