Did I blow my fork seals?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My front tire is getting a little bit of scalloping so perhaps it is causing some of it.

Bingo! This happens quite often on these bikes, and is really nothing to worry about.

And yes, a fork oil change is a good idea. But, if you'll be doing the bushings soon, you might want to wait until then since you'll end up having to change it again then.

Update; I took the bike out for a while today and while the left fork stayed nice and dry, the right fork leaked more oil. Soooo... I didn't have the Sealmate tool yet, so I decided to use 35mm film (yes I'm old enough to have some old negatives sitting around!) Didn't seem like much dirt came out but I went around the oil seal several times and put it back together. Just got back from another ride over some purposely bumpy roads plus a few hard braking stops to drive the forks down hard. And guess what, the right side is now dry! Yay!!!
punk.gif
I'll keep an eye on it and hopefully I'm good till the next tech meet. Now what did that guy say about suspension upgrades.... ? Hummm......