Did some legal speeding last night

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewrenchbender

Reaction score
Best pass was 11.5518 @ 120.03. 60ft was 2.02. Been a couple years since I've been, first time on any bike.

Ran with traction control on and pretty much my typical load of stuff in the side bags plus anything that the four other bikes that went with needed to stash.

Running pretty much even with a brand new Z1000 most of the night. Pretty happy with that. Not tons of bikes, bunch of them stretched.

Made a couple passes on my R1 relative's '08. Was not even trying to launch it. Soft-pedaling (wristing?) to about 7k in 1st then keeping the front end manageable with the throttle. Ran 11.6s on it but was north of 130 on the big end.

Definitely worth the $10 admission although riding to the track through some flood waters was interesting.

Sounds fun
smile.png
Pretty quick too.

Definitely worth the $10! Lots of fun. How many miles are on your '15? I only have a little more than 2k miles on my new '15 but I can feel it starting to break in and perform better. I'm finally getting >40 mpg and it's starting to accelerate a bit harder but it's still really soft feeling compared to my '04. When I get closer to 5k miles I'll be putting down some of my $10 $22 nights

I'm pleased to see that your ET wasn't worse than 11.5x, my '15 feels a little softer than that. The 60' time is interesting, it's really soft, my '04 was in the 1.7 range without spinning the tire or big wheelies. Dunno if it was the traction control or the gear difference between the Gen I and the Gen III. The top end speed is about right, I've never seen a stock FJR pull much more than a 123 mph.

My local track is a NHRA track following NHRA rules. Some issues about racing there are:

• Leather jacket and gloves are required
  • Over the ankle leather shoes or boots are required
  • Leather pants are required on all motorcycles running either 10.99 or quicker or 120 MPH or faster
Immediate disqualification if:

• Motorcycle or snowmobile riders running 10.99 or quicker without leather pants and/or a lanyard
When the track says leather they mean leather, none of the silly textile or synthetic materials. They have let me run if my gear had a tag that specifically said Kevlar so Dragin jeans would get you part way there. A friend of mine and I were running and his FJR went 10.8 seconds and they booted him because he didn't have a kill lanyard. The FJR is right on the edge for needing special clothing and a kill lanyard. The kill lanyard was easy on the Gen I and it could double as an anti theft device but the Gen III uses the kill switch for both start and kill so I'll have to look at the wiring and see where the lanyard needs to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are pretty good times with bags still attached. I took my 1200 RS a couple years ago and best time was only a 12.3 @ 115. But had a blast. My son was turning 10.4 @ 145 on his tricked out Gixxer1. Was a lot of fun. I always wondered how well the FJR would do.

Did you have it in Sport Mode the whole time?

People that have never tried running at the a drag strip are missing out on a hoot. One night I ran into this gent in is newly restored, numbers matching Cobra.

cobra_zpsigzk1rgn.jpg

He just wanted to take one run down the track so he had real numbers on how quick and fast his car was. So, he lined up and made his run. I made my run and came back around and got in line again. Well, whattya know, there is the Cobra back in line. The gent sez, man I messed up a shift so I have to make another run. He runs, I run. I get back in line and -- there is the Cobra in line again. The gent sez, man I messed up the launch but shifted better. This went on the whole night. When I left to go home he must have had 15-20 run tickets on the passenger seat and was still getting in line. Hee, hee. Gotcha. That's the way it is at the track, your best run of the night is your next run
laugh.png

General question when making 1/4 mile runs (with the FJR); what gear are you in when you hit the traps. (I'm guessing fourth)?

This guy was.. 10.824 @ 127..

(Skip to 50s to avoid boredom..)

"s" mode, only tried "t" once after I got the bike-didn't care for it. Yup, not long into 4th gear at the traps. And Friday was my first time down a strip on any motorcycle-so I def bow to superior skillz...

This guy was.. 10.824 @ 127..<video snipped>

(Skip to 50s to avoid boredom..)
It might have happened, it could happen but a picture of the time slip with the same vehicle number would be more convincing. That is right at the limit of what a FJR can run. The 10.8x shows that it hooked up really well at the launch and the 127.x says that the FJR was making lots of HP. I'm not sure I saw 10.8x at the launch... but I can't say it didn't.

When you go through tech inspection they assign every vehicle a number that the control tower enters into the timing computer ever run. The time slip you get shows your vehicle number, lane assignment and performance numbers. I've got a stack of 'em with numbers I'm proud of scattered around someplace.

Ionbeam,

I was asking the service department yesterday about the kill switch lanyards they have and whether they do the wiring. I forgot about the new style on/kill button on the bike. Did you ever have a chance last year to investigate the wiring?

Assuming you go to N.England Dragway, as I would llike to do, are there any speedshops around that rent leathers?

curious as to what the Cobra ran..[was it a 289 or 427]

used to be the fastest stock bikes could easily beat the best stock cars...now there's the Demon...