Did you buy your FJR with cash?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I paid cash for mine, but I bought it from a private party. Of all the new vehicles I have purchased over the years, I have always followed the advice I got decades ago. Negotiate the price before talking trade or financing. Imply that you are going to finance through them, but negotiate a cash price. When you come to a deal, they may be under the impression you are going to finance through them, so they may wiggle more on the price due to what they would get from their kickback from financing. When you walk into the finance office, hand them your check and leave.

Works great!

Last edited by a moderator:
I financed just to bring up credit points. Yamaha wouldn't finanace me because they were nervous about a stupid debt I paid off 3 years before that was delinquent, so they stuck me w/ some ass rapers that even their finance guy said were shit, I said go ahead if it gets me outta here faster. Their APR was 22%! They were real pissed when I paid it off before they could send me a bill :p .

No finance charge and a few extra points on credit rating, it only took 'em 6 months to send me the lien removal paperwork though, assholes.

Well I'm not as cash flush as most of ya ( three kids at home still) So I financed for three years an paid in two. :clapping: But it only took three months to get lien removal :) .

:jester:

I traded an 03 VFR that I owned outright for my FJR, with a $4500 check to boot!!

Well I'm not as cash flush as most of ya ( three kids at home still) So I financed for three years an paid in two. :clapping: But it only took three months to get lien removal :) .
:jester:
Remember, "cash" can also mean financing through your credit union or local bank with a pre-approved loan NOT done through the dealer. So, even though you are financing it, you are doing it on your terms, not the dealer's. The logic being to get the price reduced because the dealer thinks they are going to get a kickback from the finance charges/arrangement.

Paid cash for mine. My 1993 Harley Heritage was stolen in 2003. I replaced it with a $1500 1984 V65 Sabre and deposited the remainder of the $12,000 insurance settlement in savings. I advertised the Sabre in Graig's List and sold in in an hour for $1500. I orginally paid $14,000 for the Harley. My 2007 FJR is twice the bike the Harley was for a lot less money. Should I thank the thieves for taking the Harley off my hands and putting me on this great bike?

Jer

FWIW...paid cash + trade in.

Even scored some discount on the day of the deal, plus a commitment for continued discount on their shop products.

Would never finance through the shop. If I couldn't raise the cash myself, I would have picked up a short term loan from the bank.

When I bought my Royal Star back in '02 I paid cash, in hundred dollar bills. Had always wanted to buy something big with cash... Well the dealer had to fill out paperwork to send to the government so they couold investigate me to see if it was drug money (ha!).

For the FJR, I had already done the cash route, but some stupid stupid credit card company had just given me a card with 365 days interest free on all purchases over $500, so I bougnt my FJR with a credit card ! Paid it off before the CC bank started charging interest. I think the bank got pissed...

I paid cash, three weeks before I even picked the bike up.

It's hard to get your own financing when you buy out of state and have to register the bike at your second home in another state.

I paid cash.

I took care of my state "obligations" myself instead of rolling in the dealership's fees of doing it for me (TT&L).

I sold my previous bike instead of trading it in.