different roady xts?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v65

ouch
Reaction score
According to this discussion there are two kinds of roady xt's being sold - the one in the green and white packaging has a higher output FM modulator than the one in the red and black packaging. I can't verify this discussion, but my roady came in green and white packaging and the fm modulator works great.

PS Love the mods response, stop your whining. Tough crowd.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to this discussion there are two kinds of roady xt's being sold - the one in the green and white packaging has a higher output FM modulator than the one in the red and black packaging. I can't verify this discussion, but my roady came in green and white packaging and the fm modulator works great.
PS Love the mods response, stop your whining. Tough crowd.
The new RoadyXT has something called SureConnect and it has to be installed between your car/bike FM radio and it's antenna. Evidently there's some FCC problems? I dunno for sure what's going on here, but a post on the XM411 site reports:

quote:
Originally posted by fenixtx:

I bought a Roady XT for my girlfriend on Saturday from Circuit City and the FM modulator worked on it. It sounded great using it.
Yes they still sell the old style per discussion with Delphi today. The easy way to tell the difference is the new/ruined version has black and red packaging, and the older better version has green and white packaging.

Interesting. I am intrigued by all this, as I have gotten the ok to start setting up an XM system on Frank. Was looking at a Mix-It 2 and the Delphi. If I understand correctly, the Delphi is not a stand alone unit-it needs an amp etc to function, or an existing radio. Am I correct in how I understand this? Looking for ideas on the ideal set-up.

All Roady XT units have standard headphone jacks for easy connection to a Mix-It or other audio unit.

Interesting. I am intrigued by all this, as I have gotten the ok to start setting up an XM system on Frank. Was looking at a Mix-It 2 and the Delphi. If I understand correctly, the Delphi is not a stand alone unit-it needs an amp etc to function, or an existing radio. Am I correct in how I understand this? Looking for ideas on the ideal set-up.
Depends on how you use it. Through a Mixit, you should have all the audio you need. I have used the Roady FM transmitter to a Creative Zen Nano in my pocket ("untethered" to the bike) with Etymotic in the ear phones, and I actually use the Roady on

low power (6 levels), usually between 1 and 3. Now running it though an Autcom, I only need it set on 1.

I have jacked the Etymotics directly into the Roady, and it seems to have plenty of juice.

It depends a lot on what audio output system you use. Having something to magnify the XM audio (Mixit), or something that runs on very low input (Etymotics) is a good idea.

If I understand correctly, the Delphi is not a stand alone unit-it needs an amp etc to function, or an existing radio.
Nope, you've got this wrong :yahoo:

You can plug headphones straight into a Roady (1/2/xt)

(I've done this quite a bit with just earphones between the 3 bikes)

Caveat:

If you start combining multiple inputs you need to be careful. Most notably with a Garmin. if you splice a Roady and a Garmin together you run the risk of burning the garmin out...

Clicky here for more info

-bvw.

Well, Donkey shit for the claredification boys. While the Pilots female road companion is interesting, don't know that I need to listen to her babble about left turns and half mile to go shit all day, so I don't need the Mixer after all then. Ya just saved me some dough, and I thanks ya... :D

Well, Donkey shit for the claredification boys. While the Pilots female road companion is interesting, don't know that I need to listen to her babble about left turns and half mile to go shit all day, so I don't need the Mixer after all then. Ya just saved me some dough, and I thanks ya... :D
Yo Rad,

I've got a Roady II w/ a Hoon hardware master cylinder mount that I used on my 05' for about a year. Bought a 2730 this Fall, so the Roady's just been sittin' in a box since then. Want it? It's yours!

Yo Rad,I've got a Roady II w/ a Hoon hardware master cylinder mount that I used on my 05' for about a year. Bought a 2730 this Fall, so the Roady's just been sittin' in a box since then. Want it? It's yours!
Hell ya. This is turning out to be the most budgety winter I can recall! PM sent. And I thank you.

Rad, once you get it installed and ice goes out, tell me how you keep the antenna connection solid. I'm on my 3rd unit and I'm about to toss that one into the Pacific, too. Seems the vibes attack the jack and I constantly loose signal until I jiggle it back. POS Chinese junk! :angry:

Well, not having seen it, don't know right now of course. Is it a jack vibrating out of the unit deal, or ??????

Rad,

The Roady and the mount are on they're way to you. Couldn't find the owners manual but one could probably be found online. The unit was working fine when I un-installed it and the mount could probably be used for other satellite recievers, or some other electronic device. Since you live in the "Land of 10,000 Lakes" you won't have to go far to dispose of it should it fail! Enjoy.........

Rad, once you get it installed and ice goes out, tell me how you keep the antenna connection solid. I'm on my 3rd unit and I'm about to toss that one into the Pacific, too. Seems the vibes attack the jack and I constantly loose signal until I jiggle it back. POS Chinese junk! :angry:

I cracked my unit open and put a beefy solder joint on the output. I kept thinking it was coming undone but the solder joint on the board was AFU.

Well, not having seen it, don't know right now of course. Is it a jack vibrating out of the unit deal, or ??????
I cracked my unit open and put a beefy solder joint on the output. I kept thinking it was coming undone but the solder joint on the board was AFU.
Rad, It's the jack. It doesn't vibrate out, it just loosens and drops the signal to the unit. This is the third one I've had, all different brands and 2 services (Sirius and XM) The antenna jacks are all the same type... you'll see it when you get yours.

High, did you 'hardwire' the antenna, then or what?

Rad, It's the jack. It doesn't vibrate out, it just loosens and drops the signal to the unit. This is the third one I've had, all different brands and 2 services (Sirius and XM) The antenna jacks are all the same type... you'll see it when you get yours.
"Yeah, Dave!" he said. Mine is doing the same thing. To put it in my normally mild way, I'm a little more than upset. It's almost not worth the hassle and I get so aggravated I just turn it off....so I'm paying for what, exactly?

Where did you resolder? Where the jack is connected to the circuit board?

"Yeah, Dave!" he said. Mine is doing the same thing. To put it in my normally mild way, I'm a little more than upset. It's almost not worth the hassle and I get so aggravated I just turn it off....so I'm paying for what, exactly?

Where did you resolder? Where the jack is connected to the circuit board?
Yep I resoldered the jack output to the board. At first I thought that the antenna was coming loose, but the jack was coming loose from the circuit board. I beefed up the solder joint so the jack output was firmly attached to the board, No problems since. Roady's a couple years old right now.

I'm thinking of transfering this to the car and trying to install XM2GO on the bike. Anyone done that install yet ??

Yep I resoldered the jack output to the board. At first I thought that the antenna was coming loose, but the jack was coming loose from the circuit board. I beefed up the solder joint so the jack output was firmly attached to the board, No problems since. Roady's a couple years old right now. I'm thinking of transfering this to the car and trying to install XM2GO on the bike. Anyone done that install yet ??
Any chance of a piccie? Pretty please?

Yeah, piccies please. Although mine isn't the antenna jack, it's the audio jack that is getting flakey. TIA

Jim