Digging Out of the Snowbank 2011

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamafitter

Reigning NERDS Granite Lane Gold Medalist
Reaction score
I am starting this thread in the hopes that people will use this as a clearhouse for discussion & planning of rides AFTER the Cabot Trail Ride or if you are heading straight home after CFR.

The other threads are starting to get a little cluttered and this will hopefully make it easier for folks to make plans for the trip home.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am starting this thread in the hopes that people will use this as a clearhouse for discussion & planning of rides AFTER the Cabot Trail Ride or if you are heading straight home after CFR.

The other threads are starting to get a little cluttered and this will hopefully make it easier for folks to make plans for the trip home.
yamafitter, We Stanley Boys are following you as far as you are riding West and South, in a general direction of Burlington, Vermont after CFR/Cabot. We'll peel off from you as needed to get to VT by Sunday night!

yamafitter, We Stanley Boys are following you as far as you are riding West and South, in a general direction of Burlington, Vermont after CFR/Cabot. We'll peel off from you as needed to get to VT by Sunday night!
I was thinking the other day that after you drop off Seth, if you wanted, we could swing down through Lake Placid and then head north back into the Great White North and see how Chris is coming along with the renos on the house.

We could probably even talk him into showing us the Parliment Buildings in Ottawa.

Bungie won't be with us to get us lost so we're already one step ahead.

From there we ride the Calabogie Boogie and work our way over to Tom's and drink his beer.

It's then a short ride over to Bustanut's to kick the jackass in the applesack and then you will be on your own as I will turn back at that point.

Moved here from the Aprez CFR thread:

Now that I have a better understanding of what the master aprez-CFR plan is, I'm able to start making some of the other plans for the week, like for getting up to CFR and then getting back home from Nova Scotia after.

So, apres the apres, I'm thinking that since we'll be leaving from Pictou on Saturday AM, we'll take Highway 1 back along the Bay of Fundy and on down to the border in Calais, then take Maine Rte 9 (as was previously recommended) down to the Bangor area. I have in my mind to get to the Eagles Nest in Brewer for a giant lobstah roll dinner on Saturday night, and then probably stay overnight at the Colony Motel just down the street. That'll be a good 400 mile, 6 hour saddle time (plus border crossing) day.

Sunday we'll be headed back to New Hampshire, probably ride mostly on secondary roads, like Rte 202, which parallels the Maine turnpike most of the way.

Anyone see any big holes in that plan? Any of the selected roads that are worth avoiding?

We'd be glad to have company for any part of it.

Anyone see any big holes in that plan? Any of the selected roads that are worth avoiding?

We'd be glad to have company for any part of it.
Hi Fred

I've never been on the Wood Islands Ferry but I Googled it and am thinking that IF you wanted to do a quick ride on PEI, you COULD do that AND take #1 to St. Stephen, with Brewer (and the yummy Eagle's Nest) as your destination on Saturday.

Taking the 0800h ferry from Caribou (~ 6 miles from Pictou), you could be in Borden and the Confederation Bridge by noon. And highway 1 is mostly 4-lane, IIRC.
Thanks MEM. I'll have to investigate some of that and see if we can fit it in. Just leaving from Pictou and driving down along the Bay of Fundy Rt 1 to Brewer, ME (more of less directly) mapsucks shows it will be a 404 mile 6 hour ride. Throw in a border crossing, a lunch stop and a few photo stops and that's a pretty full day for this CBA riding couple.

I think if we were to do the ferry rides to PEI then we'd have to find a closer stop for the night than Brewer and just leave more for Sunday. Sunday was an easy ride anyway.

I was thinking the other day that after you drop off Seth, if you wanted, we could swing down through Lake Placid and then head north back into the Great White North and see how Chris is coming along with the renos on the house.

We could probably even talk him into showing us the Parliment Buildings in Ottawa.

From there we ride the Calabogie Boogie and work our way over to Tom's and drink his beer.

It's then a short ride over to Bustanut's to kick the jackass in the applesack and then you will be on your own as I will turn back at that point.
This sounds like a great plan Bill, I definitely wanted to stop in Owosso on my way home to Arizona to see Barry and Sheila. What days, mileages and times are we looking at here? I was hoping to get back into Chandler on Friday night, July 1. But, being retired, if I didn't roll back into AZ until Sunday, July 3 that would be OK also.

On my ride East, I was also planning on stopping in Ohio to see Andy and Sooze. Even though I'm very apprehensive of visiting a guy with a yellow dick as his avatar!

This sounds like a great plan Bill, I definitely wanted to stop in Owosso on my way home to Arizona to see Barry and Sheila. What days, mileages and times are we looking at here? I was hoping to get back into Chandler on Friday night, July 1. But, being retired, if I didn't roll back into AZ until Sunday, July 3 that would be OK also.

On my ride East, I was also planning on stopping in Ohio to see Andy and Sooze. Even though I'm very apprehensive of visiting a guy with a yellow dick as his avatar!

1. Leave Burlington VT Monday morning and we should be able to make it to Ottawa and visit with Chris.
  2. Tuesday, go see the Parliment Buildings and then on to the Wild West side of Ontario to drink Huron52's beer.
  3. If it's Wednesday we kick Bustanut in the Applesack.

From Bustanut I'm guessing but your probably three days back to the Valley of the Blast Furnace. That gets you home sometime Saturday, July 2nd.

As far a distances go I haven't played with Mapsource yet to have that info so I will have to get back to you on that. I would suspect that a true Luddite such as yourself could look at your map and tell me that info in a few seconds. "Look it's only 5 inches on the map".

1. Leave Burlington VT Monday morning and we should be able to make it to Ottawa and visit with Chris.
  2. Tuesday, go see the Parliment Buildings and then on to the Wild West side of Ontario to drink Huron52's beer.
  3. If it's Wednesday we kick Bustanut in the Applesack.

From Bustanut I'm guessing but your probably three days back to the Valley of the Blast Furnace. That gets you home sometime Saturday, July 2nd.

As far a distances go I haven't played with Mapsource yet to have that info so I will have to get back to you with that info. I would suspect that a true Luddite such as yourself cold look at your map and tell me that info in a few seconds. "Look it's only 5 inches on the map".
Good Work, Bill! This is an excellent plan, I'll just let PetsHotel know that they'll be keeping Bear The Labrador Retriever and Gary The Tabby Cat an extra day; the Stanley Pets stay at better accommodations than Papa Chuy does when he is out riding motos on the road!

You were damn close on the distance My Friend, but is was actually 5.5 inches on my Rand McNally map, but close enough that I can make it from Owosso Fecking Michigan to The Valley of the Blast Furnace easily by Saturday night, July 2nd. Mi Moto es muy Rapido, see!