Do people ask you what your bike is??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadDogMcQ

Reaction score
I don't know about you guys, but a lot of people never seem to know what make or model my bike is. In all fairness to non-bikers, the FJR is quite subtle in declaring its manufacturer's name and its capacity, so because my bike doesn't have the two stripes on the side (it's an 06 model), I was thinking of doing something like this.....

fjrdecals.jpg

What do you think?

I like to be more mysterious. If they don't know they need to educate themselves, and then if they are lucky or smart enough, they need to go buy one.

My previous bike was a V-Max, and anyone who knows jack Sh!T about bikes knows what a Max is, so being asked is a nice change of pace.

I think that looks really good. Especially if you fade out that top line near the rear of the gas tank like it looks in the pic. I am kind of suprised Yamaha didn't put more advertising on this bike.

Everyone asks if mine is a BMW.

I like the looks of it, but I think that showing off that you are riding a 1300 will not impress the LEO's. Riding a "bagger" has saved me from at least two tickets - after all there is no way someone a bike with saddlebags would really be out causing trouble. :evilsmiley03:

I like it when non-riders ask what type of bike I'm riding: gives me a chance to do some MC PR work.

I like the lack of badges, cc numbers and the stealth look. As my other bike is a metal flake flamed V-Max, I feel like that one does enough bragging for momma Yamaha.

<_<

I usually run around without my bags on and people ask me what kind it is, but when they see it with the bags on the name rings more of a bell to them.

I like the looks of it, but I think that showing off that you are riding a 1300 will not impress the LEO's. Riding a "bagger" has saved me from at least two tickets - after all there is no way someone a bike with saddlebags would really be out causing trouble. :evilsmiley03:
Nahh, that's an old wive's tale. It's your riding style (speed, momentary lapses in judgement) that gets you stopped by the woo woo car, not the size of the engine. Chances are that the man wouldn't even see the "1300" unless stopped at an intersection.

I think your label has potential with its looks. Maybe we'll see an anniversary edition of the FJR one day with something like this.

Edit: Reading this over once I posted it, kind of sounds like I'm saying size doesn't matter. That's right, ...right? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's right, size doesn't matter, it's knowing what to do with what you have that counts!

I'll keep believing that!

As for the question, I get asked it a lot too. Who is asking, or how they are ask, is what dictates my response. For example, "What kind of bike is that?" by a transient tweaker type will get, "It's a motorcycle, what'd you think it was?"

From a normal person, I merely reply, "It's a Yamaha FJR1300, it's a supersport touring motorcycle". And, if she's cute, and my wife isn't around, I may even think to myself, but never say, "Wanna go for a ride?"

Yes, everyone thought it was a BMW when I bought it. the other day a guy on a BMw pulls beside me at the light says "nice bike, too bad those are scary fast I'd love to have one". While it is fast I don't think that ever detoured me

from buying a motorcycle just made me more concious of "the Voice". I like the fact that is rare, mine's an '04

so the color really sets it off . TH

Unlike some of you guys, I don't tell people who ask about my bike to "Do a search, dammit!". :)

I bought the FJR in part because it's subtle and somewhat adult-like. If I wanted to scream "look at me", I would have bought a GSXR with their "Disney barfed" graphics.

I get an enthusiastic "Nice bike!!!" from anybody who comments, and then one out of four of those will actually ask what it is. None have ever heard of an FJR. I've only gotten the BMW question once.