Do people ask you what your bike is??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in late '02, I got everything from the thumbs up, to is that a Suzuki or a BMW...

Now if some drooling, patronizing, well-meaning, "people aren't meant to ride motorcycles" cager asks me if it is a BMW, I ask them, "Why are you talking to me?" (Kevin Costner's best line in "Waterworld.")

Or I foam at the mouth and start barking.

Riding is my escape from people. Last thing I want to do is sit around talking about it to people who could care less when I could be riding.

Back in late '02, I got everything from the thumbs up, to is that a Suzuki or a BMW...
Now if some drooling, patronizing, well-meaning, "people aren't meant to ride motorcycles" cager asks me if it is a BMW, I ask them, "Why are you talking to me?" (Kevin Costner's best line in "Waterworld.")

Or I foam at the mouth and start barking.

Riding is my escape from people. Last thing I want to do is sit around talking about it to people who could care less when I could be riding.
Glad to see those Dale Carnegie courses are workin' for ya! :)

A guy stopped and said " That's a nice looking bike, what kind is it, a Ducati?" My friend, riding a beemer said " no, a BMW". To which the guy replied "I know that, I mean the other one!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred,

Great story.

On a different note, it JUST dawned on my what your avatar is. For the longest time, I thought it was Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull. Tonight, my eyes lingered on it for more than a nanosecond and realized who it was.

But perhaps you can understand my mistake:

ian.jpg

:) :) :)

Fred,
Great story.

On a different note, it JUST dawned on my what your avatar is. For the longest time, I thought it was Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull. Tonight, my eyes lingered on it for more than a nanosecond and realized who it was.

But perhaps you can understand my mistake:

ian.jpg

:) :) :)
Yes, I see the resemblance to Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull. I remember listening to them back in the.............now I'm giving away my age.

Glad to see those Dale Carnegie courses are workin' for ya! :)
LOL. I'm a bit kinder to those that don't simply waste my time for the sake of being annoying.

I believe that is the result of being on the wrong end of "the customer is always right" too many times.

I think my last career before I retire will be working for the postal service! :p

Spent much of the summer riding up to Snowbasin ski resort for their summer concerts. Best thing was parking my FJR up front in a line of 30 Harleys. People walk up and down the row of bikes and always stop to ogle the FJR. When people ask why I'm not on a cruiser, I tell them that I am a rebel.

Spent much of the summer riding up to Snowbasin ski resort for their summer concerts. Best thing was parking my FJR up front in a line of 30 Harleys. People walk up and down the row of bikes and always stop to ogle the FJR. When people ask why I'm not on a cruiser, I tell them that "I" am a rebel.
There, I slightly modified it.....That's a funny answer! :yahoo:

Actually, the "What kind of bike is it?" is a compliment to us on our selection of 2-wheeled enjoyment.

Most people walk through this life thinking, "If only...." and when they see us with our FJRs this is their way of starting a conversation rather than actually saying to themselves, "I could be riding a motorcycle like that and enjoying my life, if only...."

So being a rather empathetic sort of person, I always help them sort through their issues by telling them, "Its a Yamaha FJR," then regaling them with how I enjoy riding the Sierras or The Coast with friends, visiting relatives all over CA and my travels through the West on group rides or to the various WFOs, etc.

By then, with a far-away look in their eyes, they wished they'd never begun the conversation...or...perhaps I have watered the seeds of "If only" that are growing in their own souls.

My favorite was when I first got my '03.

I stopped at a restaurant and the owner/waitress looked out the window and said, "Is that a BMW?".

I told her it was a Yamaha and she said, "I didn't know Yamaha made water-cooled bikes."

I still can't get over the fact that she recognized it was water-cooled, but didn't know Yamaha made water-cooled bikes.

Most people walk through this life thinking, "If only...." and when they see us with our FJRs this is their way of starting a conversation rather than actually saying to themselves, "I could be riding a motorcycle like that and enjoying my life, if only...."
So being a rather empathetic sort of person, I always help them sort through their issues by telling them, "Its a Yamaha FJR," then regaling them with how I enjoy riding the Sierras or The Coast with friends, visiting relatives all over CA and my travels through the West on group rides or to the various WFOs, etc.

By then, with a far-away look in their eyes, they wished they'd never begun the conversation...or...perhaps I have watered the seeds of "If only" that are growing in their own souls.
So, when you've got time on your hands, you get smart and philosphical, while I'm finding silly pictures to post :)

I definitely agree with you. So many times, I've been approached by people wanting to start a conversation about the bike. It's usually smart to ignore the first thing that comes out of their mouth, for example:

1. Wow. Is that yours?

2. Do you ride it all by yourself?

3. Did you ride it all the way here?

4. Isn't that bike too big for you?

5. Isn't it dangerous to ride a bike like that?

6. Isn't that cool that you have matching bikes. (03 FJR and 07 BMW K1200S)

I've learned that inane comments like these are made by mouth, while brain is waiting to get into gear. The person is interested, and wants to get into a conversation with you. By the big smile, and positive vibe there is definitely admiration and sometimes polite envy. Here are you, out in the wind on a super cool bike, having all kinds of fun, while they are stopping at the gas station while doing other errands. (So are you, but you're taking the long way round).

At first, I perceived the DA comments to be insulting but I've now gotten a little smarter and take them for what they are. If I respond politely, with smiles and enthusiasm then I am an ambassador for motorcyclists everywhere.

Jill

I like that. Sometimes I can't resist getting in a little editorial comment though. I like to point out to the cruiser folks that I chose a bike that goes well with a helmet.

Darrell

I added the Yamaha name and logo to the lower part of my fairing as seen below.
DSC08056.jpg
Looks better like that, but still don't like the block letters. Doesn't look as "sophisticated" as the FJR on the fairing-doesn't match. Get letters that flow a bit and I think you'll nail it!

I went to Warrington today to pick up a cartridge for my Linn and I parked the FJR right in the centre of the precinct. When I came back 10 minutes later, there were 8 foreign visitors taking turns to have their photo taken with one hand on the throttle as if to claim ownership :D

I interrupted them at number photo number 6 and they very politely asked me to move out of the frame while they finished off :yahoo:

I was feeling kinda cool at that moment having all this attention lavished upon the bike and then a little old man with a bright blue velvet jacket and white trainers (sneakers) came up to me and said (with no teeth and saliva dribbling down his chin) "I used to have one of them" :dribble:

Whatever! :lol:

I was feeling kinda cool at that moment having all this attention lavished upon the bike and then a little old man with a bright blue velvet jacket and white trainers (sneakers) came up to me and said (with no teeth and saliva dribbling down his chin) "I used to have one of them" :dribble:
Whatever! :lol:
Yebbutt...he kudda bin tockin about havin wunna them "mudersickles" en knot 'bout bein' a FJR pilot. :dribble:

Yew kin never noe 'bout thems olde guys. :huh:

No one's said anything to me yet. But, at a light once I heard someone in a car next to me say, in a voice filled with awe, "God Damn." That was cool.

Another rider on an FZ1 almost fell off his bike doing a tripple take as he went by while I was sitting at a light.

It's cool to ride around on a dragon.

No one's said anything to me yet. But, at a light once I heard someone in a car next to me say, in a voice filled with awe, "God Damn." That was cool.
My favorite occurance:

I pulled into a gas station/mini mart and rolled up to the store. I turned the engine off and was getting off my FJR when a very lovely sweet-young-thing said, "Niiiice biiike....."

As I pulled my helmet off, seeing my grey beard and...uhm...character lines, she added, "...Sir!"

pfthhhhppppp, the sound of my ego deflating. :dribble:

People ask but also because I took the logo off the tank, although I am sure many do not know what the Yamaga logo is.In any case, I don't care if they know, don't know, or decide on their own.

Usually I get good comments and many cruiser riders/RUBs appreciate it for what it is. Making the windsheild go up and down is like getting their eyes to follow a 20 dollar bill.
yep, the windshield trick is a crowd pleaser everytime! I have met alot of new people since I bought mine a month ago. Many people ask what it is, when I tell them it is a Fjr, usually I get ohhhhh, is it fast?