Do you ever get the urge to try something totally different?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacofdfireman

Reaction score
I seriously need to get rid of all computer internet technolgy at work and at home. I think surfing the Net is turning me into a real Fanatic. Seems like everytime I buy something I have to buy the best possible thing then 6 months to a year later I find myself wanting to try something different. Lately I have been spending alot (To Much) time over on the ADVRider forum. Well looking at these pictures of guys riding to Alaska, Baja Mexico etc has me itching to buy me a ADV bike. Looking at some of the photo's they post on the Ride forums are incredible. I must admit I have loved every mile on my FJR. I have spent close to $5k if not more on Farkles for my 07AE and it's a joy to ride but sometimes while I am Flyin down the Freeway I see this Dirt road or trail just calling my name wanting to be ridden. I think I have a serious problem here. Maybe it's the "I want what I don't have SYNDROME." Anyone else get this or is it just me? Wish I could afford both bikes. Decisions, Decisions.

I definately have the same issue. It's not that I'm unhappy with what I have, and I don't think I would get rid of my FJR, but I would love and ADV bike, for the same reasons as you. I grew up on dirt roads and would love to spend a lot of time riding them. I would be happy with a different bike for every day of the week, but where would I find the time to ride them all?

I'm having the exact same problem and it is being caused by that damn advriders.com forum! Now I'm watching some dvd by some actor from Star Wars as he rides across the world with his ugly friend. Dammit. Now I want another bike.

Two bikes I would love to try out . . .

1) New Goldwing - I got a chance to ride one for about two hours, up and down the highway, on some backroads. It was damned nice and comfy. It was a 40 degree cloudy morning and that thing was warm and comfortable with it's accessories and I was able to listen to tunes, get navigation, and having my girlfriend on the back didn't change the way I had to ride at ALL. It was like riding solo.

2) Kawasaki Versys - Maybe it's the hype I've read, maybe it's cause it's so ugly it's "cute" (I think it's kinda like a Pug), but something about that bike speaks to me and makes me want to ride one. Something about having that capability to ride fire roads or poorly tended country roads and not have to worry about dropping a 650 pound bohemeth, and it STILL supposedly having great road and mountain manners (not to mention 50+ mpg) appeals to me.

I'm still searching my soul to see what I'm gonna do about my bike situation in 2010 when I'm back in the states. I think I'll rent a goldwing for a few days to give it a good long-term test to see how it fits MY life, and I'll either end up doing one of two things. Either I'll find the goldwing is excellent in which case there will be a goldwing and a paid off FJR in my stable (although since they're both touring machines, I can see myself trading in the FJR on a versys), or if the goldwing is just not really what I'm feeling after a few days of testing, I'll have a paid off FJR that I'm gonna farkle the hell outta to get some of those coveted goldwing features and I'll have a modified FJR and will probably add (yup, you guess it), a versys! lol.

I can only HOPE (and there's not much chance of it if the past is setting a trend) that for 2010, yamaha decides to put out a new FJR with such options as heated grips, seats, stereo/cb, cruise control. If they decide to compete with the BMW R1200RT features in what has proven to be a reliable bike such as the FJR, I'd be over that like white on rice. Otherwise, it's gonna take some deciding/testing.

Alexi

Wow, You all scare me because this is exactly what I have been doing.. :lol: In fact I've been jumping back and forth between buying a Orange crush or a G-Spot. :derisive: I have test rode the KTM but havn't tried out the GS yet. Boy....I been EYEING all those used bikes there on Advrider and asking way too many questions. :blushsmiley: The big problem with all of this is that there's no way in hell that I'm getting rid of my paid for FJR to do this. YESSSS there is a justification to have both, now lets see, one is for pavement only and the Dual Sport is both the pavement and the dirt and oh yeah it's really cool too. :evilgrin: So now to do this I need to either save up the money to buy one :blink: or be TOTALLY illogical and stupid and go get a loan!!!!! :dntknw: :dntknw:

On another note maybe I just need a job where I don't sit in front of this damn computer so much!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup!

I've noticed myself reading more ADV ride reports and looking at ADV bikes. The thought is that I'll wait until the kids are off to college (10 years or so) before making that kind of jump.

I don't see the problem.

I'd love to get a V-Strom 650.

The orang/red for '09 is looking pretty good.

Yup. To the point of looking at older DRZ and KLR 650s on Craigslist.

The 1200GS and big Katoom are really cool, but after seeing a friend keep dropping his $18,000 GS, I've just realized it's WAY heavier than I want for off road, plus I just can't bring myself to doing that to such an expensive bike emotionally or financially.

Yup. To the point of looking at older DRZ and KLR 650s on Craigslist.
The 1200GS and big Katoom are really cool, but after seeing a friend keep dropping his $18,000 GS, I've just realized it's WAY heavier than I want for off road, plus I just can't bring myself to doing that to such an expensive bike emotionally or financially.

You know that's a great point and exactly what I was thinking. What I plan on doing is putting every guard on there that I can find, plus keep a mind set that this is why I brought it. :rolleyes:

Before spiraling out of control, reflect on what's missing in your internal self. It's often an effort to fill an internal void that is the root cause of this spiral of disatisfaction in someone's life. Seek enlightenment from within instead of material posessions from without for a more enduring result.

I got a shitload missing from my internal self cause I want pretty much everything I see.....when I quit wanting I'll move to a nursing home......I dunno....probably be some lil' ol' lady there that'll catch my eye.

I seriously need to get rid of all computer internet technolgy at work and at home. I think surfing the Net is turning me into a real Fanatic. Seems like everytime I buy something I have to buy the best possible thing then 6 months to a year later I find myself wanting to try something different. Lately I have been spending alot (To Much) time over on the ADVRider forum. Well looking at these pictures of guys riding to Alaska, Baja Mexico etc has me itching to buy me a ADV bike. Looking at some of the photo's they post on the Ride forums are incredible. I must admit I have loved every mile on my FJR. I have spent close to $5k if not more on Farkles for my 07AE and it's a joy to ride but sometimes while I am Flyin down the Freeway I see this Dirt road or trail just calling my name wanting to be ridden. I think I have a serious problem here. Maybe it's the "I want what I don't have SYNDROME." Anyone else get this or is it just me? Wish I could afford both bikes. Decisions, Decisions.
Totally normal.

"Do you ever get the urge to try something totally different?, I think I have a sickness"

Guilty. And completely normal IMHO. Cars, bikes, jobs, women, doesn't matter. Temptation is everywhere.

My garage has space for 2-3 more bikes, but not the wallet. I wouldn't love my FJR any less however if it had a stablemate. For me its no question, the FJR is the bike to have if your having only one.

I follow the ride reports on ADV as well. I really enjoy the writing style of some of those guys. Between Vermin, Flanga, Kaneman, Cave Biker and Sly I've had some really unproductive days. Heck - that's even where I found my FJR for sale.

But, despite all the dual-sport guys and where they go and what they do, I must say I do not really have any additional inclination or inspiration to join the ADV-style ranks. I enjoy reading about their travels, and some of the pictures are friggin' awesome, but for me it just doesn't have the draw that hopping on the FJR does.

Well, I don't think it's just the Internet. I'm sitting here watching the Supermoto race at Infineon. I would love to have an SM bike, a Husky 610SM comes to mind.

Rick

Latest posts