Do you ever get the urge to try something totally different?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its awful hard to make a bike that will allow you to ride to your off-road destination comfortably and then hop off road and continue to ride comfortably. One of my friends is focused on riding his ST1100 up to Hudsons Bay, access to which in the final stages is gravel or worse. Better him than me.
Rushes and I were talking about this very thing. 'Adventure' bikes are way WAY to heavy for anything other than gravel/fire roads. It doesn't mean you can't do some real dirt riding with them, but the same holds true for an FJR. Its a matter of degree. I've spent more time riding offroad than on. Given the choice, I'll take the lighter bike everytime.

Now, Hudson's Bay. My GF has a couple of brothers who live in Moosenee (Moosonee).

They come down to visit about 5 times per year and go absolutely nuts buying stuff and going to movies in the 'big city'. They've invited me up to visit whenever I want. The thing is, you can't just 'drive' there. Their is a pole-line between there and Kapuskasing that they can drive in the winter time. But in the summer, it's basically impassable. So usually they drive from Moosonee to the train station, then take a couple of hundred mile train ride into Cochrane, where they have a second vehicle, then drive on down south from there. I'm constantly shocked on how often they make the trip.

As for me going to Moosonee. Pass. Theirs just nothing to do or see other than sitting by the river, getting eaten by teradactyls and drinking your face off.

I have the same problem...so

I kept my 08 FJR

Sold my 08'CBR1000rr

and bought an 09 KLR650

I'm happy again....for now!

I'm a lucky guy......

426907525_WK56j-M.jpg

Before spiraling out of control, reflect on what's missing in your internal self. It's often an effort to fill an internal void that is the root cause of this spiral of disatisfaction in someone's life. Seek enlightenment from within instead of material posessions from without for a more enduring result.
Damn, Doug, is that you? Whatcha smoking doode, I want some... :rolleyes:

Nicely said.. Seriously.

Ah, Grasshoppers, the key to happiness (and some financial stability) is wanting what you already have!!!
Having said that, I too have read that other damn forum, and have the lust for another bike, probably the DL 650 wee strom. That itch is getting worse, with an Alaskan trip on the schedule for 2010. Absolutley love the FJR, and getting a new seat will only help, but would like to ride it to Alaska, and then wave a wand and make it a dual sport for the ride up the Haul Road. Where's that magic dust?
Tend to agree. Cheap, reliable, they do it all. As my good friend, with over 1 million miles stated recently 'Brilliant!'

But, then again, for the hard core.. minimum of 3 are needed... My choices?

1. Single track - 1987 ATK street licensed, Xr600 Honda engine, suspension upgrades.

2. Fire Roads, AK, etc, - DL650 properly outfitted.

3. Ashpahlt raper, FJR 1300. Finest mileage eater canyon carver cheap reliable insurance friendly ride out there.

Why are these my favorites? Because they are paid for and run. I'm sure other bikes are better, but these are in my harem..

For more on the Wabs (Dl650 to AK story)

OK all you rat bastards :p , especially members like Dcarver, Beemerdon, SkooterG and LACOFDFiremant..... I don't care what you say but you all made me do it.. :lol: :lol:

:yahoo: Check it out Adventure 990 :clapping:

This is what I'm telling my wife anyway. :rolleyes: I really tried to resist, yes Dave Ramsey would shoot me, but let face it I'm just weak. :unsure: Besides it nice to have a proper clean well behaved girlfriend that you can bring home to Mom (The FJR), however it 's also nice to have that nasty dirty girlfriend that you just go out and do whatever hell you want on (The KTM). Hopefully they won't get jealous of each other...... :dribble:

I pick her up on Friday in Lexington, KY..

Last edited by a moderator:
I was always found of the dirt . That is where i first started on a suzuki 90 alot of tight trail riding also there was a small circle with a jump the guys and me could ride all day . Some of the other bikes the guys had were hondas 125 , yamaha 125, suzuki 250, canam not sure of the cc, The other great part was everybody would would ride each others bikes . Yes its in the back of my mind also oh so much fun . At 48 it would kick my ass and i would have to be in bed for a day from the pain .

I seriously need to get rid of all computer internet technolgy at work and at home. I think surfing the Net is turning me into a real Fanatic. Seems like everytime I buy something I have to buy the best possible thing then 6 months to a year later I find myself wanting to try something different.
How in my own mind I can swing from wanting a Honda Goldwing one week to wanting Kawasaki Versys the next is beyond, well, me. At least the FJR splits the difference, and I'm happy with that. It is a sickness though!

I want a Track Bike :( I had to sell my SV1000 to get my beautiful FJR. No regrets I just miss not having a bike to trailer to all the wonderful tracks nearby (Infineon, Laguna, Thunderhill, etc.).

Oh well maybe when my finances are better I can get an SV650 tricked out for the track.
Yeah, I too long to get another track dedicated bike. Nothing like being able to load up and be at any one of 6 different tracks in a matter of 3 hours. Although I too find myself desiring a DS to enjoy the off road experiences......and the ultimate trip to Alaska.

But, then again, for the hard core.. minimum of 3 are needed... My choices?1. Single track - 1987 ATK street licensed, Xr600 Honda engine, suspension upgrades.

2. Fire Roads, AK, etc, - DL650 properly outfitted.

3. Ashpahlt raper, FJR 1300. Finest mileage eater canyon carver cheap reliable insurance friendly ride out there.

Why are these my favorites? Because they are paid for and run. I'm sure other bikes are better, but these are in my harem..

For more on the Wabs (Dl650 to AK story)
I agree Don, 3 are definetely needed, that 3rd one being the one that differs depending on your leaning.

While I own 2 now, I might be selling the Aprilia and get another dedicated track bike......then pick up a used DS, and then, maybe then, my inner being will be happy.........for a while! :unsure:

I have taken the plunge - my 05 FJR is now for sale & replaced by an 08 R1200GS. I have loved the Yamaha - it is a great bike! However, I made the mistake of borrowing the GS for a summer trip with a friend (long story), and we switched back & forth between the 2 for over 2000 miles. The GS was just as good on the interstates (comfort, etc, a little less wind protection), lacking only the rheostat nuclear powerplant hiding under the plastic, but the GS was pretty good. The epiphany came on Deal's Gap. The GS was an absolute blast, handled fantastically, way easier to ride on the dragon than the FJR. Setting a reasonably brisk pace, whoever was on the GS got off it fresh & relaxed, whereas whoever got off the FJR from trying to keep the GS in sight was sweating from the hard work involved. It was a revelation for me about the GS. And, to be honest, I was really kind of heartbroken that it so easily showed a clean pair of heels to the FJR, because I love my FJR!

Like you, I was looking for something a little different, checking out Lay Way Round, ADVRider, etc. I was not planning to like the GS - it was just a free bike to use, but I loved it. And, it's different! Every person who saw it said, "Wow, sure is ugly." But after riding it, it's typical German function over form. There is no way that thing should work like it does, but it does!

So, I'm off to GS land for a while (at least until something newer & fresher catches my eye.

I've spent a lot of time here looking, very few posts, but of the several FJR websites I checked out when I first got the FJR, this is the only 1 I bookmarked and visited regularly.

So, all the best to all, you're a great bunch. Happy riding!

P.S. anyone want to buy an excellent condition 05 FJR?

07 Duck S4R3

06 FJR 1330A

65 Norton 650

Lusting after a 2005 Gas Gas TSE 450.

But Honey, Don Carver said I need a dirt bike ..... of course then I would have to do the duck & run until she got over it. Hummmm ....

I have had that problem all my life. Last year I finally got tired enough of the wing and got a FJR. This year it has not hit me yet.

I seriously need to get rid of all computer internet technolgy at work and at home. I think surfing the Net is turning me into a real Fanatic. Seems like everytime I buy something I have to buy the best possible thing then 6 months to a year later I find myself wanting to try something different. Lately I have been spending alot (To Much) time over on the ADVRider forum. Well looking at these pictures of guys riding to Alaska, Baja Mexico etc has me itching to buy me a ADV bike. Looking at some of the photo's they post on the Ride forums are incredible. I must admit I have loved every mile on my FJR. I have spent close to $5k if not more on Farkles for my 07AE and it's a joy to ride but sometimes while I am Flyin down the Freeway I see this Dirt road or trail just calling my name wanting to be ridden. I think I have a serious problem here. Maybe it's the "I want what I don't have SYNDROME." Anyone else get this or is it just me? Wish I could afford both bikes. Decisions, Decisions.
Well.....Yes

Over the years I 'suffered' from that syndrome.

My most recent delving in the different was in 2002 (started a series of different). I was riding a 1997 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe (big, heavy, relative slow gas gobbler, but pretty) and was interested in the FJR over in Europe. Rumors that it would become available here in U.S.A. got me all excited, so I plunked down the 500 bucks and waited. The day finally came in July 31. 2002 and it arrived. What a nice bike. RSTD became a garage orphan. Kept the RSTD for 8 months, just sitting there and sold it to a deputy sherrif, who took his new bride up to Alaska on it. Was a bit nervous, but he later said the big bike did just fine on the trip up there.

Then in 2005 I made the mistake of sitting on a Goldwing GL1800 at the International Motorcycle show here in Denver. Wow! Look at all those buttons and switches! Couple of months later I had a shiny, new 2006 sitting in the garage, next to the FJR. I rode them both, but the Wing was the long distance mile muncher for me.

Then last year I got the bright idea to ride up to Alaska. Which bike to take - FJR or the Wing? FJR hard on tires, Wing too much tupperware to screw up if I fell down plus some pretty rough roads to shake it up. So what to do? I decided to look into a V-Strom. Found a nice 2003 'garage queen' with only 4k miles and a great price. Farkled it up for the ride. BUT, I now had a lack of space in the garage, so had to make room. A lucky fella here in Denver got a highly farkled FJR for a good price, and the V-Strom was a real hoot on the trip up to the Great White North. It is a heck of a bike, fast, handles like a champ, even in the twisties, and one can cruise in comfort all day long.

The one thing that these last 3 bikes have in common, they are all relatively high performance machines (the Goldwing would surprise you). The V-Strom 1000 kicks butt, just does it in a different way.

So many bikes, so little time (and money these days). If I were to get the itch, and the coins, maybe one of those new BMW850GS would be a kewl ride. Of course a generation III FJR would not be out of the running, whenever they might come out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think about this all the time and I don't hardly go to ADVRider because of it.

I was loking today and saw an '06 Suzuki DR650SE for sale locally.

I have an '03 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic with LeatherLyke saddlebags & Scootworks trunk that is in great shape mechanically but lacks in the looks department due to having been ridden 42,000 + miles mostly along the Atlantic coast and not having a garage. The clear coat on the tank is shot. Wonder if he would trade me straight across?

My plan is to finish paying off the FJR on my next deployment and then pick up either a KLR650 or a DR650 when I get back to keep it company.

:blind: I tell you gents... it's a Dazeeze! I mean here I am, a perfect example; it started with my 01 Goldwing... I felt it in my hands and feet and butt, I'd pass an interesting little trail that led to ????? :dribble: PARTS UNKNOWN!!... and so I added a big Katoom :crazy: and I could follow that trail, yes, yes, YESSS!!!... and I discovered other afflicted but, but, but they had little bikes and didn't appear to spend near as much effort to stay upright in the soft stuff :evil2: i need more and more and MORE...YESSS I DO! and I did. I got a little WR-R and that sufficed :nea: [SIZE=8pt]for a little while[/SIZE] ................................................................ and here I stand before you :blushing: now tell me, why do I want an FJR?

now tell me, why do I want an FJR?
Because it is lighter than a Wing.

With the topcase on it it also has as much luggage space as the Wing.

Unlike the Wing, when you get to your destination you can take all the luggage off.