Do you ever get the urge to try something totally different?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can definitely relate (see signature). I'd really like a Ducati 1198 now, but I would still have to have the other two bikes because they all serve a purpose. But I really can't afford a divorce right now!
I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but my last 6 bikes have been: '01 Wing, '02 Wing, '05 FJR, '07 FJR, 08 Concours, and now finally another Wing because I have a lady friend who likes to ride with me and there is nothing better than a Wing for 2-up riding. BUT, I already missed the sportiness of the other rides and so I went off the deep end and bought a Suzuki B King. To me, it's a Hayabusa without the pain, and since they didn't sell very well, I got mine $4k off MSRP. So, now I've got the Wing when I want sanity and serenity, and the B King when I want to go crazy. I hope I don't kill myself on the damn thing.

I can definitely relate (see signature). I'd really like a Ducati 1198 now, but I would still have to have the other two bikes because they all serve a purpose. But I really can't afford a divorce right now!
I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but my last 6 bikes have been: '01 Wing, '02 Wing, '05 FJR, '07 FJR, 08 Concours, and now finally another Wing because I have a lady friend who likes to ride with me and there is nothing better than a Wing for 2-up riding. BUT, I already missed the sportiness of the other rides and so I went off the deep end and bought a Suzuki B King. To me, it's a Hayabusa without the pain, and since they didn't sell very well, I got mine $4k off MSRP. So, now I've got the Wing when I want sanity and serenity, and the B King when I want to go crazy. I hope I don't kill myself on the damn thing.
I think the B-King would be a lot of fun, and sort of camp too. They did not sell well, and I think Suzuki may have dropped them after just the one year of production (I could be wrong on this, but I think I read it in some Suzuki news). I was in line to buy a new Bandit until they came out and I saw the build quality... talk about building to a price point... I thought the B-King was built to a higher standard, albeit a sort of perverse fashion standard. Its odd enough to be a classic, especially if the one year of production thing turns out to be correct. And at $4K off msrp, you're back down in the Bandit price class. It should be a great complement to your Wing.

I ride both! I also have a Honda Transalp, 600cc V twin, dual sport. You HAVE to have two bikes at least, if not more. Theres too much stuff in this world to see, and it isn't all next to a highway. Don't get me wrong the FJR goes anywhere your willing to take it, We went to the top of Pikes Peak on the way to NAFO, but a dual sport is it's own world too! :yahoo: :yahoo: I'm also NMroadrunner there as well.

Yup. To the point of looking at older DRZ and KLR 650s on Craigslist.
The 1200GS and big Katoom are really cool, but after seeing a friend keep dropping his $18,000 GS, I've just realized it's WAY heavier than I want for off road, plus I just can't bring myself to doing that to such an expensive bike emotionally or financially.

Man I feel that pain.....part of my "compromise" to get another bike (an FJR for street), I had to make room in my toy box (garage) to put it, so I sold the Honda XR. Still have all off road bike (2006 CRF 450X) but miss the licence plate. Really the best thing to do is have a Honda XR650 with street license. Outfit the bike for distance and it will hang with any 500+ pound "dual sport" at a fraction of the cost, and a fraction of the wieght, which will result in a much better riding experience. My riding buddies have done La Paz to San Diego many tmes in 9 days with support, 80% off road all on XR's.

The XR's are just bullet proof and a hell of a lot of fun on fire roads and wide open Baja.

of course, every rider has this sickness :yahoo:

I seriously need to get rid of all computer internet technolgy at work and at home. I think surfing the Net is turning me into a real Fanatic. Seems like everytime I buy something I have to buy the best possible thing then 6 months to a year later I find myself wanting to try something different. Lately I have been spending alot (To Much) time over on the ADVRider forum. Well looking at these pictures of guys riding to Alaska, Baja Mexico etc has me itching to buy me a ADV bike. Looking at some of the photo's they post on the Ride forums are incredible. I must admit I have loved every mile on my FJR. I have spent close to $5k if not more on Farkles for my 07AE and it's a joy to ride but sometimes while I am Flyin down the Freeway I see this Dirt road or trail just calling my name wanting to be ridden. I think I have a serious problem here. Maybe it's the "I want what I don't have SYNDROME." Anyone else get this or is it just me? Wish I could afford both bikes. Decisions, Decisions.

I seriously need to get rid of all computer internet technolgy at work and at home. I think surfing the Net is turning me into a real Fanatic. Seems like everytime I buy something I have to buy the best possible thing then 6 months to a year later I find myself wanting to try something different. Lately I have been spending alot (To Much) time over on the ADVRider forum. Well looking at these pictures of guys riding to Alaska, Baja Mexico etc has me itching to buy me a ADV bike. Looking at some of the photo's they post on the Ride forums are incredible. I must admit I have loved every mile on my FJR. I have spent close to $5k if not more on Farkles for my 07AE and it's a joy to ride but sometimes while I am Flyin down the Freeway I see this Dirt road or trail just calling my name wanting to be ridden. I think I have a serious problem here. Maybe it's the "I want what I don't have SYNDROME." Anyone else get this or is it just me? Wish I could afford both bikes. Decisions, Decisions.
Resistance is futile. Too late to save me from myself, I orderd mine last week. Build date in Feb, receiving it in early may. Also ordered a shitload of farkles, this way I can slap 'em on when she comes in.

Run,save yourselves before its too late!

2485305544_5846fe0d1e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Resistance is futile. Too late to save me from myself, I orderd mine last week. Build date in Feb, receiving it in early may. Also ordered a shitload of farkles, this way I can slap 'em on when she comes in.
2485305544_5846fe0d1e.jpg
I can see how you sold this on the home front, too:

"Look, dear, it has the extra large panniers for carrying those big bundles of diapers from Costco!"

:rolleyes:

I think the reason people want more than one bike is because the engineering has gotten so good there are dramatic differences between the various market segments.

back when I started riding a honda CL450 was an "all purpose" bike that had a side mounted exhaust and, as far as I know, virtually everything else was the same as the CB (street bike) version so there really wasn't much reason to have both.

Today the differences between a street bike and a "dual purpose" is dramatic and a buyer has far more reason to want more than one bike. there are also many more market segments to pick from. As motorcycle buyers we have "an embarassment of riches" in the diversity of models available to us.

the bad thing is many of us have riding interests that span a broad enough range to make us want 2 or 3 or even more different bikes.

tough problem. wish I had more problems like it.

Before spiraling out of control, reflect on what's missing in your internal self. It's often an effort to fill an internal void that is the root cause of this spiral of disatisfaction in someone's life. Seek enlightenment from within instead of material posessions from without for a more enduring result.
lama13607_wideweb__470x344,0.jpg
i'm flattered to even be remotely referenced like that. most can assure you that such links are tenuous at best but i do occasionally suffer from blinding flashes of mediocrity.

I think the reason people want more than one bike is because the engineering has gotten so good there are dramatic differences between the various market segments.
back when I started riding a honda CL450 was an "all purpose" bike that had a side mounted exhaust and, as far as I know, virtually everything else was the same as the CB (street bike) version so there really wasn't much reason to have both.

Today the differences between a street bike and a "dual purpose" is dramatic and a buyer has far more reason to want more than one bike. there are also many more market segments to pick from. As motorcycle buyers we have "an embarassment of riches" in the diversity of models available to us.

the bad thing is many of us have riding interests that span a broad enough range to make us want 2 or 3 or even more different bikes.

tough problem. wish I had more problems like it.
I think you're right. The differences between bikes are far more dramatic today than they were when the CL450 was new. Plus folks have more discretionary income and higher expectations. We really do have an exceptionally varied list of high quality choices available today.

Back when the CL450 was new, you could have bought a Triumph Bonneville, a Bultaco Sherpa T, an H-D Electraglide, and a Metisse trials bike..... but hardly anyone would have had the coins or the garage space to do it, and if they did, there wouldn't have been any internet to tell other folks about it, creating more "keeping up with the Joneses" style demand.

I think the B-King would be a lot of fun, and sort of camp too. They did not sell well, and I think Suzuki may have dropped them after just the one year of production (I could be wrong on this, but I think I read it in some Suzuki news). I was in line to buy a new Bandit until they came out and I saw the build quality... talk about building to a price point... I thought the B-King was built to a higher standard, albeit a sort of perverse fashion standard. Its odd enough to be a classic, especially if the one year of production thing turns out to be correct. And at $4K off msrp, you're back down in the Bandit price class. It should be a great complement to your Wing.
The B-King is still around. They had 09's at the Houston show. The new V-Max may actually help the sales of both bikes as they are very similar but the B-King is faster.

The B-King is still around. They had 09's at the Houston show. The new V-Max may actually help the sales of both bikes as they are very similar but the B-King is faster.
Faster???? I have not seen any comparison tests yet.

I just want to live next to DCarver. I have seen pictures of the bikes in his garage.

I would be the neighbor everyone hates who borrows your bike, breaks your bike and then procrastinates about fixing it.

Feel like riding a dirt bike today, "Hey Don" ...

I will have an BMW ADV bike sometime in the next fews years. I thought I was the only one who felt this way.

I want a Track Bike :(

I had to sell my SV1000 to get my beautiful FJR. No regrets I just miss not having a bike to trailer to all the wonderful tracks nearby (Infineon, Laguna, Thunderhill, etc.).

Oh well maybe when my finances are better I can get an SV650 tricked out for the track.

Been there done that...love to ride on the TW200 on roads that I would never consider on the FJR...

It may be a small bike but it delivers!

And it gets great gas mileage. Lots more than the FJR!!

You cant have too many motorcycles or hot rod cars - just ask Jay Leno.

I too hang out on the ADV forums and really want an ADV style of bike. I would really like to have a 990 KTM or the 1190 Adventure model when it comes out in a few years.

I would love to have a Goldwing too for longer rides two-up.

That new Ducati Streetfighter S looks really cool too. I need a lightweight powerful naked bike.

I will have an BMW ADV bike sometime in the next fews years. I thought I was the only one who felt this way.
You and a million other people. Those bikes are everywhere. When I was in Colorado last summer, it seemed that every other bike was a GS dressed exactly like the one Evilmedic has on order.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the bike or wanting one. In fact, I enjoy Advrider since IMO it has the best ride reports on the net (the "face plant" section is always interesting too). However, I wonder how many people are just buying DS bikes to do nothing more than gravel and some flat, hard-packed dirt....and you don't absolutely need a DS bike to do that (just ask Wheaton ;) ... or read some of the Utah 1088 ride reports). Furthermore, with the size of some of the Adventure bikes (and the tires that most people run on them), they're really not friendly towards anything more than gravel or hard-packed dirt anyway. Finally, I see alot of DS bikes for sale in a variety of places (including ebay and Advrider) and I'm always amazed at how many look pristine with descriptions that mention they've seldom or never even been off pavement! So one should honestly ask themselves the question, "What am I REALLY going to do with this bike?" Then choose wisely. And if you really want to ride in the dirt, I recommend considering bikes with displacement less than 950cc.

And if you really want to ride in the dirt, I recommend considering bikes with displacement less than 950cc.
+1

A big part of this is the weight, but the other part is that you can't get 100 hp to transfer very effectively to dirt, especially with the so-called dual purpose tires. I've ridden a V-Strom 1000 a ways on gravel, and a bit off road, with the Bridgestone Trailwings and with Metzeler Tourances, and I can say without hesitation, that 525 pound 95 hp motorcycles aren't my idea of a great off pavement ride. Once there are traction issues in play, I think lighter just about always leads to better...and 400 pounds seems to me to be sort of the upper bound, and probably too heavy at that. Its probably hard to use more than 60 hp in most nonpavement environments, so that's an issue too.

Its awful hard to make a bike that will allow you to ride to your off-road destination comfortably and then hop off road and continue to ride comfortably. One of my friends is focused on riding his ST1100 up to Hudsons Bay, access to which in the final stages is gravel or worse. Better him than me.

If I wanted an adventure style bike right now, I'd be looking at modifying a mid-powered KTM. Or maybe modifying one of the Honda XR650L bikes that can be had new for $5299 on ebay right now. Actually, I like my Xmoto pretty well too. Kudos to Bill at Sargent.

Latest posts