Do you have a long commute?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been commuting 48 miles to work on the interstate and 40 miles home for all but 2 of the past 21 years riding from Amish Country to the western Philly suburbs. Its a consistent one hour on the way in and the secondary roads home are still close to an hour going home.

Now that the kids have grown I have gone to a 9:30 AM start which gets me out of the worst of the traffic and home about an hour after my wife.

Did have a four day work week for a few years but new management put and end to that two years ago.

Some days gets old. But would be driving to Philly or Harrisburg for the work I am doing so it would be an hour either way.

Before retirement I'd have a 109 mile commute every Friday and Monday. I liked the Monday ride in better than the Friday ride out, almost made it seem like I wasn't going to work at all.

Steve in Phx,

I have been commuting 35 miles each way for several years now. I live in the SF bay area and over 1/2 of my commute involves lane splitting. This is legal here in Ca. The JFR is a heavy bike but quite frankly, is so well balanced you would think it weighs 150 lbs less once you are moving. I actually love my morning commute slipping by all those miserable people in cars that are stuck. I used to do that! It takes me about 50 minutes each way and is saving me about 1.5 hours each day, by my calculations. Working the split is a better stimulant than coffee every morning. I am always wide eyed and bushy tailed when I get to work.

Slipstream

When I lived in Eastern Montana I use to ride a dirt bike to work. But pretty soon it was taking me a hour to get to work so I parked the dirt bike and walked to work. Took about 10 minutes ... now those were the days.
...but you do tend to get lost a lot Pops!
drinks.gif

--G

I have been commuting 35 miles each way for several years now. I live in the SF bay area and over 1/2 of my commute involves lane splitting.
You Californians are something else! You have my respect for keeping your sanity in that kind of traffic.

My wife and I traveled through L.A. years ago. We thought we could avoid traffic by returning home at night. Nope! We still had stop and go traffic at 1:00AM.
help.gif

I spent most of the last 20 years commuting in Phx. Live on west-side commute to east side. I grew to hate it. Depends on how much you like or dislike sitting in traffic. If you job is stressing you out, will traffic stress you out also? I was only brave enough to commute on my bike a few times. Just don't like the drivers here - esp in rush hour. Off hours were a lot better.

During 3 years, when I lived in Bordeaux, I had 50 minutes in morning, and the same in evening, It was also to have an interesting job, a good house, and my wife had only 10 minutes to go to her job.
For my first job in Paris area, it wase the same. My wife take the train to go to Paris, and me, my bike, so house was choose because it's close to the railway station. At this time my work was 50 km (31 miles) from home. but like my job was pleasant, I like ride my motobike (an FZ6 at this time), my wife was close to here job, it was the good compromise.