Do you think a 2004 FJR garage queen with 4,500 miles needs this work done?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzzzip

Reaction score
I bought a 2004 non-ABS FJR with about 4,500 miles on it. The original owner kept it in a nice garage with other stuff in his collection (like a Gull Wing Mercedes), and it was sold with about 3,000 on it after his death a year or so ago. I think the second owner put about 1,500 miles on it before trading for a new FJR about 6 months ago. No service records or owner's manual, and the second owner says he didn't do anything to the bike and doesn't know how it was maintained.

Anyway, besides me changing all the fluids and flter(s), I'm wondering if I should also replace the brake lines and coolant hoses? The bike has been inside all its life, and the hoses are still supple and not cracked. I'm inclined to let it ride for now.

BS021s are like new but the born on dates are 3/2010. I'll probably change them out in the spring, and hope the poor handling is more due to them than the Soupy's lowering links, which I hope to raise back up to near standard height. Flat footing is nice, but I spend more time with my feet on the pegs than on the ground.

I plan to get rid of the Saddleman seat, and lowering links if they don't work. This is my 4th FJR, so I know my way around them and usually do my own maintenance. I'm just on the fence about the hoses and lines.

Thoughts?

If it was mine, I'd flush the coolant and refill with pre-mix. Run it up to pressure and verify the fan cycles. Shut it down and check for leaks. Top off the overflow reservoir to the max and forget it.

Then I'd flush/bleed the brakes and clutch and go riding.

Skipp! Glad to see your back on a FJR so we don't have to look at that ugly Tenere at FJR Rallys.
not_i.gif
I hope the seating position works out for you this time.

Do the fluids so you have a starting point for your records and ride it like you stole it.

+3 - Basically this bike is just due for it's first oil change. What possible other maintenance could have been performed?

Things I'd do:

Coolant (as mentioned) and also the hydraulic fluids (brake and clutch).

Inspect the tires for dry rot. If no cracks, go ahead and wear them out.

Regular oil and filter change.

That's it! Enjoy your practically new bike!

Unlike you more mechanically capable guys, I'm not inclined to want to do roadside repairs on 10 year old coolant hoses. Since I will have the tank and fairings off for other stuff, I may go on and change the coolant hoses just to sleep well on long trips. But the brake lines still have good feel and no signs of deteriorating so I think new fluid is all I need. Compromise..... anybody who knows me knows how easy going and laid back I am.

Abercrombie, you prick--- don't go bad mouthing my Tenere least I come up there and whip you like a rented mule. And I WILL be riding the S10 to EOM, as petey says I look very manly on it. Gnarly adventure dude: that's me.

Thanks for the replies fellows.

Unlike you more mechanically capable guys, I'm not inclined to want to do roadside repairs on 10 year old coolant hoses. Since I will have the tank and fairings off for other stuff, I may go on and change the coolant hoses just to sleep well on long trips. But the brake lines still have good feel and no signs of deteriorating so I think new fluid is all I need. Compromise..... anybody who knows me knows how easy going and laid back I am.
Abercrombie, you prick--- don't go bad mouthing my Tenere least I come up there and whip you like a rented mule. And I WILL be riding the S10 to EOM, as petey says I look very manly on it. Gnarly adventure dude: that's me.

I don't know how many people have replaced coolant hoses as a maintenance item, but I can say for myself that I have not and do not see any sign of cracks or bulges in any of them. I did swap out the brake lines for stainless steel ones long ago just because I wanted to, but the clutch line is original and looks just fine.

Ya, I try for the manly adventure dude look on my Tenere but i can't pull it off as well as you.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Ya, I try for the manly adventure dude look on my Tenere but i can't pull it off as well as you.
smile.png
Few people can....

smile.png
Few people can....
That's because you guys are not on a Triumph. What the hell does Tenere even mean?
tonguesmiley.gif

Congrats Skip on finding a great bike.

Is the S10 coming on the back of a pickup oh gnarly dude?
biggrin.png
Nope-- I plan to ride it all the way out and all the way back. I'm thinking of crossing the Mississippi without using one of the bridges again.

I though about it once before, but didn't.

Well, got the links shortened and raised the bike to near stock height today. Didn't get to ride or tweek the suspension settings, so don't know how that will go. Spent about 3 hours just cleaning the grime off the bike. Will have to do a couple more hours worth to get the wheels back to new. Shame it got this way-- only marks on it are some magnetic tank bag scratches. Otherwise it is almost pristine, or will be.

Have to take the wife on a ride in SW Wisconsin this weekend on the ugly S10 (yes Wheetie, I will trailer her and the bike up) so I don't plan to explode the bike until next week and go through the mechanical side of things. Final drive oil looked new out of the bottle. So far, so good.

I remember back in '05 when I was riding my '04 and talking to Smitty141's brother who was on a BMW. He said the '04 would never be worth less than $3,500 (within reason). Guess he was right since that's what I paid for this one. Wonder what it will be worth in another 10 years?

I bought a 2004 about a month ago with the same mileage. I did the following:

Brake fluid change front/rear

Clutch fluid change

Coolant change

Oil/Filter Change

Final drive gear oil change.

I plan on changing the fork oil soon and greasing the steering stem bearings.

smile.png
Few people can....
That's because you guys are not on a Triumph. What the hell does Tenere even mean?
tonguesmiley.gif

Congrats Skip on finding a great bike.
That Triumph World X C is a really good looking ride. I also have the hots for a Tiger. Wish I could afford them and a new garage to keep them.

I bought a 2004 about a month ago with the same mileage. I did the following:
Brake fluid change front/rear

Clutch fluid change

Coolant change

Oil/Filter Change

Final drive gear oil change.

I plan on changing the fork oil soon and greasing the steering stem bearings.
Appears my bike is not so rare after all. I will probably do the same. Now I am on the hunt for some bag liners and an operator's manual.

Thanks.

Hey, I just noticed: that's my wife standing next to my first '04 in my avatar. Jeez, has it been 10 years already?