Dodge Caravan interior dimensions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daviddowns2000

Reaction score
I need to transport a mattress and some other smaller things from Miami to Atlanta. Good rental deal available on a Dodge Caravan, but can I load a queen mattress plus assorted other stuff in the back?

No problem....if you empty all the water first. If its a "regular" style, it might be a very tight fit (Dang, that ties in with TWN's comments) depending on how easy it will "fold".

My first bet would be......no. But I've been wrong before.

Extend or regular length?
Not sure, the rental agent on the phone didn't know. I am assuming the worst case that it will be regular length. However, definitely will have more cargo room than my FJR. Also don't know if it will have a roof rack...Do you think I might be able to strap it to the roof of the minivan, assuming I can find some kind of waterproof cover for the mattress?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've jammed a double mattress in the back but not sure a queen would fit. Actually if I remember right (memory is the second thing to go) the box spring fit flat between the wheel wells and the mattress angled on top of that. We have a Grand Caravan BTW.

EDIT - just talked to Lorie - we put the mattress between the wheel wells and the box spring at an angle on top of that. I don't think you'll get a queen sized inside. Maybe you can jam the mattress in but I don't think the BS will fit. BUT I COULD BE WRONG!

You could just put it on the roof, and hold it down by sticking your hand out the window and grabbing the sides... apparently this works, since I've seen various people doing it in the past... :eek:

We have a couple hundred of these here at my Fleet, soooooo.........

Rear door opening, narrowest point (top) 41"

" " " , widest point (bottom) 51"

depth (rear door to back of drivers seat, aprox) 90"

door opening height, 41"

No reason to think it wouldn't ride on top, well secured. I do know you can carry 4 medium goats in back, or 3 beehives, sans bees (I think :eek: ), 2 Gophers Linemen w/equipment, or 1 large folded rubber liferaft, complete with 9.9 Mercury outboard. We have a variety here, be sure.... :lol: