does not run cold

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanderflugen

Reaction score
I have a 06 and when the bike is not fully warmed up it will try to stall when you give it a little gas. But once you get rolling a little and the engine warms up fully it runs like a champ. I have changed the spark plugs and the air filter and done a TBS. I contacted my local dealer and a new ECU is on the way but I'm not so sure that its the ECU. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Start the bike before you put on your gear. Let it idle until warm. Do not start riding until it is warm. Problem solved. Closing ticket.

Is the fast idle working? When stone cold it should idle around 2000 - 2500 RPM. Idle will drop to 1100 as it warms.

Is the fast idle working? When stone cold it should idle around 2000 - 2500 RPM. Idle will drop to 1100 as it warms.
Maybe not, Walt. It's a Gen II and probably has one of those underachieving fast idle settings.

The fast idle on mean is no higher than 1500.
Discussed ad infinitum HERE and HERE.

Us Gen I owners (at least those reporting) have cold, "fast" idles of 2000-2500 rpm. Gen IIs seem to have, at least what's been reported, cold, "fast" idles around 1500 rpm.

Obviously Yamaha decided with ECU and fuel injection differences between the generations called for, or at least allowed, a lower cold idle speed.

Some of us Gen I dinosaurs think that's too low for smooth running on a cold engine.

YMMV

'Howie

The idle has nothing to do with it. When it starts cold it idles at about 1500 and when it warms up it idles at 1100 just like normal. My problem is when I try to start giving it throttle in gear it wants to die.

That is low for cold idle, which may have EVERYTHING to do with it. Cold idle needs rich mixture to run, but if it's running too slow, throttle leans it out and it coughs. Higher RPM for cold idle fights that with simple angular momentum.