Does the FJR age well?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jrw600

Hello everyone! I am new here, been reading through the posts etc.

I am considering moving up to an FJR from a 650 V-Strom. I am looking at 2 bikes in my area right now. The first one is an 03 with 36,000 kms for $11,000(Canadian dollars). The second is a 05abs with 11,000 kms for $13,000. Aside from colors and brakes I understand that there is little difference between the years. I have been searching through the forum for info on the "tick" as well. What I don't see is if there is a difinitive time frame that the bike will begin to tick, if indeed it does at all. But it does appear that all bikes from 03- 05 have the potential to develope the problem. Would one guess that if the 03 has got to 36000 kms and still is quiet that it will not have the problem? Or is it just a matter of time? Should I just reject the 03 or try to deal the price down more, using the potential problem as leverage. If I buy the 05 would I not have to worry about the problem at all? I know that to some the answer is simple, spend the $2000 and get the newer model, however I am on a limited budget . Any and all info and advice will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Although the tick can show up at any time (or never) IIRC most have been before 20,000 miles. 04' & 05's have larger disks and the option of ABS, glove box and stiffer fork springs. But, according to Warchild the 03's were the fastest. I don't know if that was seat of the pants or what.

Good luck with whichever you pick and welcome.

Hello everyone! I am new here, been reading through the posts etc. I am considering moving up to an FJR from a 650 V-Strom. I am looking at 2 bikes in my area right now. The first one is an 03 with 36,000 kms for $11,000(Canadian dollars). The second is a 05abs with 11,000 kms for $13,000. Aside from colors and brakes I understand that there is little difference between the years. I have been searching through the forum for info on the "tick" as well. What I don't see is if there is a difinitive time frame that the bike will begin to tick, if indeed it does at all. But it does appear that all bikes from 03- 05 have the potential to develope the problem. Would one guess that if the 03 has got to 36000 kms and still is quiet that it will not have the problem? Or is it just a matter of time? Should I just reject the 03 or try to deal the price down more, using the potential problem as leverage. If I buy the 05 would I not have to worry about the problem at all? I know that to some the answer is simple, spend the $2000 and get the newer model, however I am on a limited budget . Any and all info and advice will be appreciated.
There isn't a definitive timeframe that bikes develop a tick......if they're going to develop it. My experience has been most of them probably start to show by 15,000 miles. Your '03 is definitely passed that.

My suggestion would be to have the dealer drop the exhaust header and look into the exhaust ports for oil residue yourself. Especially look at #1 and #2 (left-hand if you're sitting on the bike)

The '05 may be less likely to tick than the '03 because they supposedly did work on it for those two years before genuinely figuring it out for '06.

If you were in the U.S. the easy money is to buy the 4 year YES warranty for US$400, but I understand you Candadians either don't have the option or it's modified and more expensive.

But, according to Warchild the 03's were the fastest. I don't know if that was seat of the pants or what.
Yes. He has a highly calibrated butt-dynomometer that is able to accurately gauge to <1bhp.

...actually, he's ridden multiple bikes and the roll-on power in top gear on the '03 is where he says beats '04 and '05. It is likely an ECU setting. The theory is that Yamaha slightly detuned '04 and '05 in hopes of fixing or reducing the valve guide wear thing.

I have a 03 with 65+000km on it. If I had your choice, I would go with the newer bike especially with ABS, assuming farkles levels are the same.

Have you compared prices with a few other FJRs from those years? It seems like there should be a bigger difference in price between an '03 and an '05 ABS. The '05 looks like a relative bargain by comparison.

The theory is that Yamaha slightly detuned '04 and '05 in hopes of fixing or reducing the valve guide wear thing.
:yahoo: I'll take it!

The 05's ABS works. I've panic stopped it a few times. The bike (with ABS) does not skate off in the direction of the deflected or misdirected momentum because the rear wheel does not lock. Nevermind the front.

Have you compared prices with a few other FJRs from those years? It seems like there should be a bigger difference in price between an '03 and an '05 ABS. The '05 looks like a relative bargain by comparison.
+1

The 03 should be closer to 9. The market is saturated with blue clones.

I would go with the bike with the ABS. All of my future bikes with have it. The ABS on my 06A works great.

Hello everyone! I am new here, been reading through the posts etc. I am considering moving up to an FJR from a 650 V-Strom. I am looking at 2 bikes in my area right now. The first one is an 03 with 36,000 kms for $11,000(Canadian dollars). The second is a 05abs with 11,000 kms for $13,000. Aside from colors and brakes I understand that there is little difference between the years. I have been searching through the forum for info on the "tick" as well. What I don't see is if there is a difinitive time frame that the bike will begin to tick, if indeed it does at all. But it does appear that all bikes from 03- 05 have the potential to develope the problem. Would one guess that if the 03 has got to 36000 kms and still is quiet that it will not have the problem? Or is it just a matter of time? Should I just reject the 03 or try to deal the price down more, using the potential problem as leverage. If I buy the 05 would I not have to worry about the problem at all? I know that to some the answer is simple, spend the $2000 and get the newer model, however I am on a limited budget . Any and all info and advice will be appreciated.
Do yourself a favor my friend. Bike an FJR with ABS. Sooner or later you will most likely find yourself saying.."Damn, I'm sure glad that I bought the FJR with the ABS." The ABS can never hurt and can always help. Because..............................you just never know.

I asked many riders about abs when I was looking for my 05. One comment comes to mind, "If it saves your live once, it's probably worth it." Go for the 05, it's prettier. jr.

Before you jump, I would check autotrader for FJR1300's. Ipurchased my 2005 this spring but before doing so, I checked around, even dealers are using autotrader to advertise bikes. This will give you a better feel for the pricing here in Canada, especially now that the $ is so strong as compared to last year.

Examples from Ontario listed on Autotrader.

Make YAMAHA

Model FJR1300

Price $14,499.00

Mileage 11,000 km

2005 YAMAHA FJR1300 ABS

Comment: 18KM,new tires,all fluids new,mint condition, brakeaway cruise,XM radio,cover,Corbin seat with pass. backrest,Cee Bailey tinted windshield,mag. tank bra,tank bag,bike is perfect,synth. oil every 5K, all bills,never down,fully cert., many extras,Mark. 18,000 km. $12,750

Year: 2003

Make: YAMAHA

Model: FJR1300

Model Detail: STOCK 03

Price: $10,750

Mileage: 20,500 km

Date: 9/28/2006

Ad Type: Private

2005 YAMAHA FJR-1300

Comment: Sweet ride, added cruise control, mint cond! 17,400 km. $11,000.

Prices are all over so do yourself a favour and check out several. Depending on your region there may be more or less available.

I live in South Florida and rides the lower 5 states a good bit.... 30,000 since August of 2005 on my 2005. Just love it and only issues I have had. Glove Box lock failure...got stuck and would not open, tach has two lights in it, the one on the left side went out. both replaced under my extended warranty. Love this thing.

The 05 seems to be your best bet as as far as price comparison/value etc (if you don't mind the blue).

Have a very close look at any of them you consider and ride it first. IMHO. Look for anything the seller may be hiding.

My 04 runs like a champ, and the ticky thing...it can happen any time to any 03-05...or not. But its fixable.

The 03 is the first North American FJR year and the only year of its kind.

04 and 05 are the same sans colour, and with the improvements over the 03 mentioned above.

Are you in Canuckda?

The 05 seems to be your best bet as as far as price comparison/value etc (if you don't mind the blue).Have a very close look at any of them you consider and ride it first. IMHO. Look for anything the seller may be hiding.

My 04 runs like a champ, and the ticky thing...it can happen any time to any 03-05...or not. But its fixable.

The 03 is the first North American FJR year and the only year of its kind.

04 and 05 are the same sans colour, and with the improvements over the 03 mentioned above.

Are you in Canuckda?
As the original question as well as nearly all the replys are 6 months old I seriously doubt it is pertinent anymore. :unsure:

I am very happy with my '03, but if you want ABS, the later one is the ticket. No other significant difference in my opinion.

I had an 04 ABS, and at the time I traded it in August of 06 for an 06AE, it had 44,000 kms on it. It was very well maintained from day one. It also developed the tick. Personally, I would go with the 05, as it has more powerful brakes (larger front rotors), a stiffer suspension, and the ABS feature alone could save your bacon, as it did mine twice.

My 03 still makes me smile every time I ride it. It's paid for and runs great. If ABS had been available I'd have gotten it. I can't see getting a newer one until this one's had the wheels ridden off it.

As the original question as well as nearly all the replys are 6 months old I seriously doubt it is pertinent anymore.
Good pick-up, thanks.......and duuuuuuuh on me. :crazy: