Does your bike get mad at you?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PDXFJR

Reaction score
Here's the deal....This has happened twice now. I got back from a four day, 1600 mile ride three weeks ago. The FJR ran great the entire trip. When I arrived home, the bike went in the garage and has been sitting every since. It needed new tires, so I took them off and had the tires mounted. The bike had not been started until this morning when I got the tires back on.

Normally, it starts with just a light bump on the button. This morning, it would not start. Finally, after multiple tries, it fired and quickly died. Took another few tries and it fired. However, it ran like crap for a few seconds, had to hold the throttle open to keep it running. Once it leveled off and sounded better, it ran fine. Took it for a 20 minute ride and it did awesome!! Accelerated and ran fine.

Got home, shut her down and restarted with no issue.

Whats the deal? Was it just pissed off at me for not touching her for three weeks? The last time it did this was about a year ago. Any thoughts??

Ray

This has been noted numerous times on the forum. Sometimes an application of WOT is required to get them started after a long layoff from riding. Normal if not a bit disconcerting.

Sounds like the battery was a bit low. It may have had enough power to crank or run the sparkplugs, but not both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely the cam chain tensioner. Your engine is about to be "Howied". DON'T start it again!!!!!

Sorry, slow here today :lol:

Perfectly normal, at least for Gen II's. If it doesn't hit immediately the first couple of times, hold the throttle wide open and crank the shit out of it. It will start. Something makes it flood after sitting a while. Make sure you've got enough battery when you first start after a long set. Seems to happen only after a long ride too.

Whooo! I'm glad I ran into this thread. That happened to me once a long time ago and never again. It scared me at the time, but, I got over it!! :blink:

When you got home from your trip,,, did you wash ,, wax ,, & caress it a little ???

Or did you just ride it hard and put it away wet ,, no caressing or cuddling after wards ????

that could be your problem..... :unsure:

It scared me at the time, but, I got over it!! :blink:
Tell the truth. You got "over" it because you got rid of all your mirrors man.. Why, I'd be scared of a mug like that :lol:

:jester:
Bust!! Damn dude! That cut me deep. That hurt my feeeelings. That has turned my whole life around on it's axis.

My mom always told me that I was a fairly good looking kid growing up!! Was that bitch lying to me?!?!

I'm going to write her a letter right now and tell her what I reeealy think of her!! Thanks for telling me the truth!! I'll let you know how that works out for me!!

Thanks Dude! You're my best friend ever!! :unsure:

The solution is so obvious...to eliminate the pissed-off-FJR-syndrome ride it more! Or you could buy it flowers ;)

--G

Did it seem to be flooded, or was it more like bad gasoline?

According to these guys: https://www.fuel-testers.com/marine_boat_et...l_problems.html, 10% ethanol absorbs water from the air, and when the level gets to 0.5% water it separates into "an upper ethanol-deficient gas layer and a lower ethanol-rich (up to 75% ethanol) water layer."

It sounds like it ran crappy until the bottom ethanol/water layer ran out. That would explain why it only happens after the bike sits for a few weeks.

Here's the deal....This has happened twice now. I got back from a four day, 1600 mile ride three weeks ago. The FJR ran great the entire trip. When I arrived home, She went in the garage and has been sitting every since. She needed new tires, so I took them off and had the tires mounted. She had not been started until this morning when I got the tires back on.
Normally, She starts with just a light bump on the button. This morning, it would not start. Finally, after multiple tries, She fired and quickly died. Took another few tries and it fired. However, She ran like crap for a few seconds, had to hold the throttle open to keep Her running. Once She leveled off and sounded better, She ran fine. Took She for a 20 minute ride and it did awesome!! Accelerated and ran fine.

Got home, shut her down and restarted with no issue.

Whats the deal? Was She just pissed off at me for not touching her for three weeks? The last time She did this was about a year ago. Any thoughts??

Ray
I think She just needs a name. I don't know what my Cheri would do if I called her a it. :clapping:

On a serious note I hope she feels better.

Last edited by a moderator:
My gen 1 (2004) got angry at me after I had the tank off for a couple of days when I had to change the thermostat (what a pain!). Evidently there must have been more than a few air bubbles or something in the fuel lines/system. After letting it sit for a few hours, it reluctantly came to life and gradually ran smooth after a couple of minutes.

Pepperell

Here in Ohio the state does not test the ethanol %. (Buyer beware!)

I've been using "Stabil/Stabil marine" regularly in all my equipment and storage containers.

Thank's for the link to the "fuel testers" info site. I also feel, some padding of the amounts of ethanol added to the gas depending on the cost difference between ethanol and gasoline is going on. (Poorer operation/lower mpg and such a variation in mpg.)

Fred

Mine did it again after sitting out in the rain. The exhaust smelled like gas, but wide open throttle didn't help. Entered diagnosis #30 + #31, cycling the ignition coils with the kill switch to check spark. Got a little woof when the gas was lit off in the cylinders!!! Started right up!!!!

Mine has died once in the 7 months I've owned it and that was right after I had the ECU changed. Made me wonder what the hell they did to my bike but it restarted and I've had no issues since. But it does seem to idle a little rougher than before.