Don't use anti-seize on modern spark plugs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anti seize on plugs is a good idea if done with restraint. If you glob enough grease on the rear hub splines so that it slops out and ends up on your tire, does that mean you should not lube the spines; like wise, why not add a couple of extra quarts of oil to the crank case; if four quarts are good, wouldn't 6 quarts be better?

I am being sarcastic, but a little common sense goes a long way when machines are involved!!

I guess I don't get the whole torque wrench need for spark plugs. The back of the NGK spark plug box clearly shows installation instructions for tapered and gasketed seats. Follow them and you'll get the proper "crush" of the gasket with no worries of damaging the plug (or worse yet, head) due to a bad torque wrench.

Sometimes we complicate things for no reason...Just my $.02

--G
I don't have an NGK box handy, but the proper way I use with plugs with gaskets is to turn in snug by hand, then 1/2 turn more to crush the washer. Any more than that is just crushing the washer more and gaining no torque until you completely crush it, then you don't know where you are...... at that point a torque wrench is recommended IMHO.
Exactly what the back of the box details! I generally end up with just a touch less than 1/2 turn. YMMV

--G

I've used antiseize on quite a few plugs and don't use a torque wrench on them without any issues so far, when that method starts giving me grief I'll consider something else.

I think it's great that you have the "feel" to set bolts with out a torque wrench, but it's not something I would advocate on a forum, even if I thought it could be done reasonably accurately.

Yeah, if the bike is starting to do a pirouette on the center stand (like I'm guessing Squeal's bike's prior owner did when he put in spark plugs) you're probably there and then some. :p

Reminds me of some ape-fisted morons I watched back in my dirt-biking days crank those tie downs like real men--this bike ain't going nowhere!--and thinking, have fun with those fork seals you dumb-asses!!
Spud has a way with the Kings English, The Dumb Masses!!

If you use an anti seize, think Brylcream, a little dab will do ya.

FWFE