Dreaded SH__46 Error

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great news. As much as it is a PITA on an AE bike, make sure the clutch circuit gets flushed/bled every couple of years (along with the brakes).
Oh yeah, that’s my plan. Better than buying a new slave cylinder, since Yamaha doesn’t sell any rebuild parts.

Installed the new slave cylinder and it took me 3 hours to bleed it. The Mityvac was useless, wouldn’t pull any fluid. Activating the master cylinder with the key on, then off helped. I was getting SH_26 code during the bleeding, and had me worried that the clutch activator motor was bad. By removing the slave, turning on the key, opening the bleeder valve, and pushing in the piston by hand, close the bleeder, turn off the key, and it would draw fluid from the reservoir. Then repeat until no more bubbles. Then I mounted the slave on the engine, turned the key on, and no more SH_26 code. Went for a test ride and it was perfect. No slipping at all, and clutch engagement rpm in 1st gear was normal 2,000 rpm. Whoever worked on the bike before me, put the clutch judder spring in backwards. It works noticeably better when you assemble the parts the right way.😀
What is the "Judder Spring" that was in backwards?????? I have a 2008 AE like Brodie and I have spare clutch and transmission actuators after reading Brodies thread for YCCS error code 37 .

Last edited:
What is the "Judder Spring" that was in backwards?????? I have a 2008 AE like Brodie and I have spare clutch and transmission actuators after reading Brodies thread for YCCS error code 46 .
The judder springs are called damper spring seat 1 and 2 in the service manual on page 5-59. A drawing explains the orientation.

The judder springs are called damper spring seat 1 and 2 in the service manual on page 5-59. A drawing explains the orientation.
Thanks looks like a diaphragm clutch disc concave facing in. I bled my 2008 AE clutch every winter useing on/off on bars etc without removing all the rest parts to get to rear on clutch actuator.