Dreaded SH__46 Error

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've run that scenario in my head, and you don't need to hate to say it because that's not a bad thing to deal with. However, I can't figure out why it's so bad in 5th and yet completely non existent in 4th gear.

And it still wouldn't fix my current problems of not being able to program the new sensor into the eprom. Ugh. Really don't want to take this to the dealership. Gonna be $$$

Last edited by a moderator:
I've run that scenario in my head, and you don't need to hate to say it because that's not a bad thing to deal with. However, I can't figure out why it's so bad in 5th and yet completely non existent in 4th gear.
And it still wouldn't fix my current problems of not being able to program the new sensor into the eprom. Ugh. Really don't want to take this to the dealership. Gonna be $$$
Most likely you have wore the friction plate down in that gear range.

Most likely you have wore the friction plate down in that gear range.
blinksmiley.gif
confusedsmiley.png

The age old test for a slipping clutch is to get the motorcycle into high gear and open the throttle. The higher gear ratio makes it harder for the engine to turn the rear wheel. If there is anything wrong with the clutch the clutch will slip under the load. It is usually worse when the engine is cold. It could indeed be that you are just beginning to have clutch problems and in 4th gear the clutch doesn't slip and in 5th gear it does.

Does your error happen most frequently under hard acceleration?

ionbeam is right. My light came on when I was on the highway in 5th gear and went to pass a car (i.e. hard acceleration)

I'll admit, here at the end I could make it do it by accelerating. However, I've seen on my videos that the error can happen while just cruising.

ionbeam beat me to the punch on this one. The high gear, heavy throttle test is the old standard. Once they get badly worn or glazed they will slip more often under lighter loads.

If it is the clutch plates that would be great news. You already know how to do the clutch soak so replacing the plates would be a piece of cake for you. I am beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

So, if I open up the clutch, what would I see that would confirm this? Or is it just a case of replace and see if that fixes it? What all needs replacing when I get in there and determine that it is the clutch?

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to say this but its your clutch
sad.png
I had the same problem an finally replaced the clutch andworks fine now. The problem is the motor is running faster then the wheels are turning and the

computer wants you to shift. (clutch slipping).
Also bentnail, were you seeing the wonkiness with the gear position indicator that I was? Because if the sensor is reporting off of the cam position what gear the bike is in, I'm curious how a slipping clutch could affect that.

How many miles on the bike now Jasen? This may have some merit because the computer is controlling clutch slip on launch, not you. I would expect clutch wear to be a factor with the AE though I never thought about it before.

I am just guessing. It is not my money or my time.

It's got just over 50K on it. I'd say this all started around 35-40K miles though.

If it has progressively gotten worse that almost sounds more like wear than electronic failure. Of course, electronics are strange as are the folks that work on them (ionbeam, Fred W come to mind here). The bad thing is that This Forum is the premier source to research a problem like this. If we don't know it, who does?

I'd be surprised if the clutch was worn by normal use at that mileage. My '06 had its clutch slipping for a fair proportion of its 24600-odd miles due to daily commuting in heavy traffic, it never complained (other than needing a soak, probably nothing to do with abuse). My '10 was still ok at 32000 miles, though not as heavily abused as my first.

Unless you've used unsuitable oil, of course.

But the Sh_46 code will display with a slipping clutch, so that does sound most likely.

Have you repeated your EPROM store? Presumably you can't ride it at all until you have succeeded.

As for dismantling and checking, I'd assume the plates will be worn down. Measuring their thickness should show wear, or any sign of overheating or scored metal plates will show excessive slipping. As well as replacing any worn or damaged plates, it might be worth replacing the spring in case that has weakened.

Longer post coming. Maybe not tonight, there's a hockey game on and my team needs to beat the Rangers.

Cliffs notes:

It's fixed.

It was something stupid.

I didn't fix it.

It was cheap. (mostly)

I rode today. (a little bit but it felt good)

I cannot express how pleased I am to see you posting again. I have missed your wit and wisdom.

You seem to have had a run of bad luck with the FJR, I hope the worst is behind you now.

Ok, first off, yes, I've been absent. Been too depressed to visit motorcycle sites, and too darn busy.

Let's see, backtrack a bit. March 2014 I left my job, the job that had plenty of free time with me sitting in front of a computer. Gone were my days of getting paid to post but I was on track for bigger and better things. Bike crapped the bed in June, and sometime after that I realized that I hated the job I'd gone to and started looking again. Loved the company, hated the work I was doing. Found me a gig in October, contract to hire. The hire part is taking longer than I'd expected. Kid started school, I've been coaching soccer, life's been busy. I also was broke but that's gotten better, getting paid more and wife is working again.

So the bike sits. It sits because I have neither the time nor the money to deal with it. I'm fearing I'll take it in to the shop and they'll tell me something like "Yea, AE computer is fried, pay us $1700 and we can fix it." I figured I'd wait till I have the $$$ for worst case scenario and then haul it in hoping it'll be something cheap. I just know if I tried to play that game the other way around I'd be screwed. Then tack on a winter full of ice storms for Dallas and a super wet spring and you could say my motivation to get her fixed has been low.

But...I was doing stuff on the side. I figured if I haul it to the shop, they are going to tell me it needs a new clutch. We've discussed this...I can do this myself. I figure, pony up the cash and change it out, then take it in. Ordered parts as I had money and finally had enough to rebuild the clutch. I figured, I perhaps with my mechanical history that I should bring in some help that's more qualified for the job. Of course, changing a clutch is easy...how easy? So easy a six year old can do it.

2015-04-25%2011.35.28_zps3bofrykm.jpg

2015-04-25%2012.11.06_zps1en30w7p.jpg

2015-04-25%2011.38.46_zpsykda4ymw.jpg

Yea, I stuffed the Jesus hole full of paper towels before we started. Since I'd already been through this, and had been inspired by a friend on another forum who's five year old changed the clutch springs on his TLS, we could handle this. Good time spent with the kiddo, he learned some stuff, and we had fun. I helped with proper torquing and was constantly giving directions. His little fingers did come in pretty handy though. So there, at six years old, my kid has rebuilt a motorcycle clutch, while the rest of his class probably was eating paste.

I tried programming the sensor again to no avail. Won't start. Time to suck it up and haul it in. It's a sad sight to see an FJR on a trailer when you aren't hauling it to the mountains.

Dropped the bike off on Saturday. Sweet black 2015 FJR sitting on the showroom. I look at it. Redfish Hunter, it looks damn good without scratches on the side.
biggrin.png
I fill in the tech with the history and what I've done and tell him I just want it running again. I figure I won't hear from them for a while. Meh, I've waited this long. Thursday after dropping it off I get a call. Stomach in knots I call them back. Converstation goes like this.

Tech: "Yea, the gas in this thing is nasty, has it been sitting for a while"

Me: "Yea, it has."

Tech: "You probably want to get some fresh gas in it, and maybe an oil change...have you ever had the valves checked?"

Me: "Yep, all on the list. Last time I checked the valves, they were in spec, but I'm about due to check them again."

***C'mon, what's wrong with my bike man?

Tech: "Well, the bike had a tip over sensor error. That's why it wouldn't start."

Me: "That's odd, it's not been on it's side since the last time it was running. And I've checked and cleared the codes and it didn't have a TOS error logged."

Tech: "Well, it's got scratches on the side of the bike showing it's been down."

***Head explodes. Yea, bike's been down once. Set down gently when some idiot ran a stop sign in front of me. No big noticeable scratches, and the ones it does have are on the side bags that weren't on the bike when I dropped it off. WTF? Did they drop my bike?

Me: "So wait, you are saying it's running?"

Tech: "Yea, it was hard to get it started having sat for so long but we got it running and shifting through the gears."

Me: "So you were able to program the sensor?"

Tech: "Oh, it doesn't need programming, it's self programming."

Me: "That's not what the factory service manual says."

Tech: "I dunno, it's working though, shifting fine."

Me: "I'll be by Saturday morning."

Ok, so WTF? Did the shop drop my bike and go through the work to get it going in an effort to make me happy and forget about them dropping it? It is kind of working cuz I'm pretty happy. Or...do they have my bike confused with another one in the shop? I tell my wife about this and she blows a gasket and I have to talk her down from going psycho and running down to the dealership to maim people.

Saturday comes and I load hook up the trailer and head into town. I've been doing a lot of thinking about trading the bike for a new one. It's a perplexing situation. If the bike doesn't run, it's not worth much to trade. If it does run, I'd just rather have it and ride the piss out of it. Still, that unscratched black 2015 was pretty sweet. Maybe I'll just say "Hey, my bike is running, pull it around and trade it in on that black one."

Thank goodness the black one was no longer on the showroom floor.
biggrin.png
Tech wheeled out MY bike, fired her up and showed me him shifting through the gears. I looked and there's no new scratches on it. Paid the 1 hour shop fee for diagnostics of $105 and took my baby home. I call that one a win.

I'd left off the plastic parts I'd already removed so they wouldn't have to go removing them. Took me a bit to find all the bolts and pieces I'd removed months ago and get them put back on as there was time during the week. Finished up today, took her for a test ride being careful because my tag was expired. I made me an alibi by riding directly to the inspection facility the next town over and getting her inspected (required before I can renew my tag anyway). Good blast on the back roads and some freeway, all appears good, except I've nearly forgotten how to ride a bike again.

Anyway, hopefully my gremlins and bad luck are behind me and I can get back to riding again. It felt good and the grin is still on my face.

Of course, how the eff did that TOS error get in there? Wonder if anything I've done during the troubleshooting might have electronically tripped it or something. I dunno, it's a mystery.

That took a while. Go run some gas through that thing while you sit on the seat and enjoy some air blowing in your face.

What Tom said. You'll probably need those miles to gain confidence that the problem is fixed anyways so think of it as necessary test runs to complete the repair.
smile.png
Great pics with your son btw.