Drilling Fairing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For others' benefit, I made a hole for a set of sliders on my  '05 very easily by marking the limits of the hole with a marker, drilling a starter hole inside the circle, and then removing the very soft plastic a little at a time up to the marked line (I guess with a Dremel--don't remember for sure).  It was perfect, and it was basically hidden by the slider that protruded from the hole anyway.  No extra trip to Home Depot required.

OTOH, you could look at it as an excuse to buy a piece of hardware you don't already have, and that's never a bad thing.

For others' benefit, I made a hole for a set of sliders on my  '05 very easily by marking the limits of the hole with a marker, drilling a starter hole inside the circle, and then removing the very soft plastic a little at a time up to the marked line (I guess with a Dremel--don't remember for sure).  It was perfect, and it was basically hidden by the slider that protruded from the hole anyway.  No extra trip to Home Depot required.

OTOH, you could look at it as an excuse to buy a piece of hardware you don't already have, and that's never a bad thing.
I got it done today and ditto...very soft plastic...gently, and slowly enlarge the hole. The step bit does work very well and you can slow the rpm's right down and it literally just shaves off a little ribbon of plastic with each turn.

i-xLkMcsc-S.jpg
i-Xb66DK7-S.jpg
i-p3VMHXP-S.jpg

I got it done today and ditto...very soft plastic...gently, and slowly enlarge the hole. The step bit does work very well and you can slow the rpm's right down and it literally just shaves off a little ribbon of plastic with each turn.

i-xLkMcsc-S.jpg
i-Xb66DK7-S.jpg
i-p3VMHXP-S.jpg
For the newbies to such things, a mention above cannot be overemphasized.  Use a variable speed drill.  Practice maintaining control at slow speed.  Even better if you have a drill with a thumbwheel on the trigger to adjust.  As our friend also found out, a step bit is infinitely better for soft materials than a regular twist drill is. 

Now can anyone tell me the correct methodology to drill a hole in my new PR5? I need to save weight..

No, a pistol won't do it. It just punches a hole so losing the air will do little for weight reduction.  You'd do better by filling the tires with helium *.  Do a quick search on Flexco belt lacing tools.  They have hole punches to put in drills specifically designed for making holes in rubber conveyor belting **.

* helium, not hydrogen.  Remember the Hindenburg!  ** not recommended for steel belted tires.

For the newbies to such things, a mention above cannot be overemphasized.  Use a variable speed drill.  Practice maintaining control at slow speed.  Even better if you have a drill with a thumbwheel on the trigger to adjust.  As our friend also found out, a step bit is infinitely better for soft materials than a regular twist drill is. 
Helps with "Whiskey throttle" eh?