Drive shaft removal from final drive

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gitbox

Reaction score
On GEN I final drives, the drive shaft just pops out with the oil seal still attached. GEN II final drives have a pressed in oil seal. How is that removed? I am trying to use a GEN I final drive on a GEN II FJR. The only difference I can find is the drive shaft, oil seal and gear coupling. I may have to change all three if I can find the special tool to hold the coupler while the nut is removed and tightened. Are the drive shaft's teeth at the final drive end the same for both GEN's?

Thanks.

I guess this must be a new trail I'll have to blaze myself.
smile.png
I'll report my findings in case anyone may be interested.

Mr. BR, you got me into this pickle.
smile.png

I had the final drive of my GEN I FJR modified for the higher gearing based on your post a while back and really loved the change. So much so that I want to put it on my current GEN II FJR, ergo the original post.

All I'm trying to do is swap the units without having to send them both back to get modified and thereby avoid the cost.

ah... guilty as charged! I LOVE the re-geared FD unit on my '05! If I ever upgrade to a Gen2 or 3 FJR, the re-geared FD stays with me and gets installed on the new bike!

I'm still thinking the GEN1 FD unit really should just bolt right up on your GEN2 bike with zero issues. The drive-shaft should pull out but it might take a little effort (they can get stuck apparently) and I think the drive-shafts are the same as is the interface with the FD unit. That rubber seal on the drive-shaft simply pushes into the female interface on the FD unit. Here's a few drive-shaft photos from Flea-Bay and they all look the same as expected. It's like our OEM Mufflers... different PNs for each GEN but they are interchangeable (I hope I'm correct!)

Mr. BR

The oil seal on my '08 is indeed different. The seal is actually driven in with a tool and hammer just like fork seals. The instructions and diagrams are in the service manual.

I did talk to my local Yamaha shop. They have the special tool and can do the swap for a nominal labor fee.

I had my final drive modified (2014ES). When I removed the final drive I could not get the drive shaft pulled from the unit. I tried many time but the bugger would not come out. I shipped it to RMSportsMax with shaft attached. When I spoke to them they said it pulled right out. They shipped it back to me with the shaft removed and i just lubed the seal and pushed it back into the female cavity using a wood dial to carefully tap it in place. No special tool needed.

I know the wheel base is different on both bikes. Don't know if they can be swapped out?
Dave
He wants to use the longer 2nd Gen shaft with his reworked 1st Gen punkin'. I think it should work fine. The shaft's oil seal is just pressed into both of them. Should pull right out (with some force)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the wheel base is different on both bikes. Don't know if they can be swapped out?
Dave
He wants to use the longer 2nd Gen shaft with his reworked 1st Gen punkin'. I think it should work fine. The shaft's oil seal is just pressed into both of them. Should pull right out (with some force)
I have an 08 and want to use the Gen 1 rear gear case assembly because the Gen 1 is geared slightly lower than the Gen 2 however I'm not sure if the short Gen 2 drive shaft will work with the early case. I want the lower gear from the Gen 1 soI will have more power to the pavement. Anyone know if the short shaft will work?

The Gen II drive shaft is longer than the Gen I so you will have to use it. The coupler and oil seal are different on the Gen II also. I haven't done this myself yet but the seal from the Gen I should work with the Gen II drive shaft. I plan on doing this when I yank the beads out of my tires. If you do it first, let us know what worked.

One thing I forgot to mention. The difference in gearing is in the engine, not the final drive. I'm pretty sure they are exactly the same.

Dave
I have an 08 and want to use the Gen 1 rear gear case assembly because the Gen 1 is geared slightly lower than the Gen 2 however I'm not sure if the short Gen 2 drive shaft will work with the early case. I want the lower gear from the Gen 1 soI will have more power to the pavement. Anyone know if the short shaft will work?
The gearing of the final drive, or pumpkin, or rear gear case is the same from Gen I to Gen II to Gen III. The taller gearing of the Gen II comes from the middle gearing inside the engine case.

Yep. All FJRs have a 33 tooth ring and 9 tooth pinion.

Also, the longer shaft is on the 2nd and 3rd Gens which have a longer swingarm length.

The Gen II drive shaft is longer than the Gen I so you will have to use it. The coupler and oil seal are different on the Gen II also. I haven't done this myself yet but the seal from the Gen I should work with the Gen II drive shaft. I plan on doing this when I yank the beads out of my tires. If you do it first, let us know what worked. One thing I forgot to mention. The difference in gearing is in the engine, not the final drive. I'm pretty sure they are exactly the same.
Thanks for responding with your correct input. After some research I found that the ring and pinion gears are 33/9 for Gen. 1,2 and 3 FJR's and the original V/Max. I'm looking for some more spunk from my FJR and figured the slightly lower gear from the Gen 1 would help a little but it is not to be. When I heard that the new FJR would be blessed with a 6 speed I thought sure that the power Gods at Yamaha would bless it with more horsepower (10%-15%) more but I was hoping for too much I suppose.