Drive shaft service

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone reported a u-joint failure? I'd leave the rear alone unless diff. is leaking lubed with gear oil.

U-joint should be lubed at both ends, Must remove a small plastic cover and it slides right off of engine .

I haven't heard of a u-joint failure on an FJR. On the '07, I had the whole thing apart early on. The shaft was slightly rusted and the splines were dry. Cleaned it up and coated the shaft with very thin layer of grease to prevent corrosion. Splines got a light coating of moly grease and u-joint cleaned up. Maybe did it two more times in almost 200,000 miles. No apparent wear or serious corrosion and no trouble, ever. No visible wear on splines and no apparent slack or clunking in the universal. I would definately recommend an initial inspection and service but I don't think it is something that needs to be done frequently. A bunch of grease there makes a mess and attracts dirt and grit. Might do as much harm as good IMHO.

After coming later than many of you here to the FJR party, I sponged up the good advice to pay attention to the front drive shaft splines, and now religiously lather it in a Moly-rated high stress grease every time I swap out the rear tire on my old Gen 1.

Now, each time I disassemble it for inspection/cleaning/re-lube, no signs of rust or real metal stress - I'm a happy shafty...