Driveshaft and spline lubricant

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moses2

Reaction score
I have the pumpkin and driveshaft removed from my 2007 FJR 1300. The drive shaft spline had very little grease on it, while the pumpkin and the splines on the wheel did. I would like to clean these up, and apply new. I saw a recommendation for Honda moly 60. Are there other products available at an Advanced Auto or Walmart that could also be used? I would have to order the Honda product.

Any decent waterproof grease is OK.  The Honda 60 is sticky black shit that makes a mess if over-applied.  Not really necessary for this application IMHO.  Excessive wear of the forward drive splines is not a "thing" with FJRs.  I clean mine up every couple of years and use a light coat of grease - mostly to prevent corrosion.  Thin coat of grease on the shaft as well for the same reason.

Also research pulling the universal joint. There's no servicing it specifically but it slides onto a slined shaft on the forward end just like the drive shaft slides into it on the aft end.  You'll want to  clean and lube the forward end too, that's the transmission output shaft.

Any kind of spline or extreme pressure grease. It's thicker and stickier so it stays in place better. I was a boat tech so I use to use Mercury spline grease.

Just don't see the need for an extreme pressure grease or high molybdenum compound. Stuff is messy and I haven't heard of failure in the FJR drive splines - ever.  Worst I have seen is some corrosion and any decent waterproof grease will take care of that.

Aerosol moly spray for splines. Dries completely, never squeezes out or flakes off.  Requies redoing once every 7-10 yrs.

On the other hand, I have had a single tube of Honda Moly 60 for 10 years, and it will probably outlive me.  It's really bulletproof and a very good grease for high pressure splines.  It doesn't matter what it costs, it will last forever.

+1

Still have the expensive little tube of sticky love after about 10 years of servicing 3 different bikes (Sequential, people! I'm not made of money!).

I bought a container of Sta-Lube Red Premium Sta-Plex grease and lightly coated the splines. I also put a coat of ACF-50 on the shaft and when changing the rear tire at 50k looked at the splines and all is OK, no rust on the shaft and I now ride in complete peace of mind!!!   :)  

I bought a container of Sta-Lube Red Premium Sta-Plex grease and lightly coated the splines. I also put a coat of ACF-50 on the shaft and when changing the rear tire at 50k looked at the splines and all is OK, no rust on the shaft and I now ride in complete peace of mind!!!   :)  
Yeah, I've found it's maybe a once-every-other-year thing.  Don't forget-there's 2 sections: the drive shaft and the splined shaft forward of the universal joint.