Dropped her again :(

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nik.hisham

Reaction score
This is the second time. And this time, I'm a bit more upset than I was the first time I dropped her because this was completely avoidable and I should have known better. If my dad were still alive, he'd give me a good smack to the back of the head.

Rode her past the front gate. Put down the side stand. Got off and turned around to close the gate and I heard a loud crash. She was on her side.

I'm not sure if the side stand was not down completely, or if it was because I was parked on a slight down slope. Or a combination of both. But the scratches on the fairing, mirror, and pannier really makes me feel sad. Especially on the round engine piece (I don't know what its called). I'm quite sure that can't be rubbed off or repainted. What made it worse was that I still don't have my frame sliders when I could have gotten them last week. On the upside, nothing broke off and I still enjoyed riding her to work this morning.

A quick question to those who have dropped their bikes - do you guys go and get it fixed immediately? Or do you wait? If you wait, what do you wait for?

Ok, dumb questions I know. But I'm just trying to cheer myself up.

Nik.

WOW, dude what a place to live. Had to google ya.

As for dropping the bike. Never dropped the feej but have dropped my CBR 954 and dude does is suck. I fixed mine right away. Ordered up the parts and installed them. Once the wallet stopped squealing, all was better.

Sorry man... it's happened to MANY people including myself with an older bike of mine. The reason I put sliders on mine within weeks of getting my bike. They may not protect everything, but way better than nothing.

frame-slider-mounted.jpg

Stop doing that :dribble: Look for one of the wide feet sold via forum members or vendors. The FJR is a big bike IMO for a side stand with a little foot.

I never never never neeeeeeeeeeever use my side stand. And never will.
I wish I could do that. I've been trying to deploy the double stand without much success. Everyone says its technique and I'm sure they are right but I just can't get it done. I'm not sure if its my size - I'm only 5'7" and a feathery light 125 lbs. In the likely event that this seems like an open invite for responses on the proper technique, yes I have read other threads on this forum on the technique... I'm still trying :)

But in any case, even if I were able to deploy the double stand, I probably wouldn't have used it on this occasion as I just wanted to close the front gate and be off.

This is a lesson learnt the hard way to be extra careful, I guess.

Stop doing that :dribble: Look for one of the wide feet sold via forum members or vendors. The FJR is a big bike IMO for a side stand with a little foot.

not if used properly. make sure the angle is reasonable , roll it all the way forward with the clutch released

(in gear of course) and you will not have a problem.

Sorry man... it's happened to MANY people including myself with an older bike of mine. The reason I put sliders on mine within weeks of getting my bike. They may not protect everything, but way better than nothing.
frame-slider-mounted.jpg

Yes. Yes. Yes. The sliders are definitely coming on. After work, will drop by to have them fitted.

Should have done it sooner. *bangs head against wall*

not if used properly. make sure the angle is reasonable , roll it all the way forward with the clutch released

(in gear of course) and you will not have a problem.

I would agree with both you guys actually. I'll be doing a 3 day trip with a small group of friends next weekend and I worry about using it on soft surfaces and was actually considering bringing along a small piece of metal or plank for anytime I need to park on grass or something. The wide feet would be reassuring, assuming its wide enough.

But yes, turning off the engine and parking in gear is good advice.

If my dad were still alive, he'd give me a good smack to the back of the head.
Hey, I can do that for yah! :rofl: (here to help)

Sorry to hear of the drop. I haven't dropped mine yet, but I've had a deer strike... and all that careful washing and waxing was for not. Now I tend to just ride it, less polish time.

dropped mine 3 times in that many years...I don't know...the damage gives it character

<my wife ages gracefully, so does Isabella my bike>

btw, I sucked at the center stand deployment until WFooshee pointed out the hole for a handle on the left side under the side panel right in front of the left side bag...step on center stand tang with right foot, reach down with right hand and wrap fingers to insert them in handle hole, push down hard while lifting lightly with hand/arm

bing, rolls right up on stand easy peasy

hope this helps

Mike in Nawlins'

I know the feeling of dropping the FJ! I dropped mine last summer on my two week bike trip. I parked on a slanted driveway and of course not your typical gravel was used, more like mini boulders. Long story short, I got on the bike and my foot sliped from under me and down she went along with me. The left side was pretty messed up including the bag, mirror, cowling, and the stader cover ( that is the big round thing ) you were talking about. And yes you can repair it, I sanded it down to the metal and painted it black.

I always wanted to learn to paint so I invested in the equipment. It was not to bad of a cost compared to new parts. The bag itself is about $500.00. Now if I ever do drop her again :) hopefully not, but if I do, at least i have the equipment to paint her. Hell who knows maybe I will paint it a different color next winter. I was thinking a Enzo red.

So for me yes I fixed it and it looks like a new bike :)

I dropped mine in a gas station on the way home from WFO in Park City, Utah. Sooooo, that'd be 3 years ago (?). The scratches on the right side case are still there. Uhm....I can't see them when I'm riding. :rolleyes:

I dropped mine in a gas station on the way home from WFO in Park City, Utah. Sooooo, that'd be 3 years ago (?). The scratches on the right side case are still there. Uhm....I can't see them when I'm riding. :rolleyes:
Yes he did !! and I was there. One minute it was upright and then it wasn't. That was right after our encounter with red and blue lights.

That round piece is the stator cover. It should come scratched from the factory. Good to see a KLM rider. You never miss a riding day because it's too cold.

I had two zero speed drops almost immediately after buying the bike, had the bike lowered, and have not had any problems since. Of course, since it's lowered, it's much harder to get up on the center stand, so I don't even bother trying. I had sliders on at the time, so the damage was minimal, but I still have the scratches on the right bag to remind me what a dipstick I was.

Alway look the sidestand down, put an eyeball on it before you put any weight on it. Don't use it if the bike's facing downhill and in neutral.

And if you think your bike will fall in grass on the sidestand, just wait till you put it up on the narrower centerstand, both feet sink till the rear's on the ground, and it still sinks to one side and falls over. The centerstand feet are closer to the bike's centerline, which will result in a fall from a lower-angle lean. On any decent surface the sidestand is MUCH more stable.

I understand it when people have a problem with the centerstand. It's barely got the leverage it needs to raise the bike, and if you've lowered your bike it's even worse. But people who complain about this bike's sidestand; I just don't get that at all. All you have to do is look at it, make sure it's there, and don't park in neutral.