Dropped Her, Again!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Gary. Ya know, as someone else said, "Shit happens." Of course it often does because we (I) contribute to the possiblity, but there it is. My reaction was interesting. The first time I dropped her (at about 4 weeks old) I was friggin' beside myself. Just couldn't believe I did it and it bothered me for days. This last time I laughed to myself and said, "You dumbass," (I swear I heard Maxine mumble, "You got that right!" :blinksmiley: ) and then stared at her for a while. I took the time to note what touched down and where just out of curiosity, and then picked her up, quickly checked for damage, started her and took off! Perspective is a wonderfull thing!

Sorry to hear about dropping the old girl. At least no one was watching and minimal damage. I did mine in a parking lot at 0'dark thirty trying to take off with the cable lock in place on the rear. These are some tough bikes Jim, thank God. PM. <>< :unsure:

Well, dropped her again! In the garage, again! 23 degrees at 0700 yesterday morning and I’m sitting on Maxine letting the engine warm up – didn’t have my gloves on, put on my left glove and sure enough the right one slid off onto the floor by my right leg. Hmmmm, unhook the Widder, shutdown, get off and get my glove OR carefully lean down and pick it up – I’ve done that before. Yup, leaned over, oops gotta compensate to the left, did so, got my glove, straightened up and found that I may have compensated juuuuuust a little too much – over she went. Hmmm, tip over shutoff didn’t activate so I hit the kill switch. Stood there and stared for a minute to see if that helped, nope. So, I took the opportunity to practice the ole back up to the bike, one hand on the left grip, one on the rear grab handle
SNIP

Riding Techniques” by Nick Iantech (sp) and then went for about a 2 hour ride. Did I mention how much I love my Avon Storm tires!!
Oh grasshopper, as one that has dropped mine 5 no make that 6 times you are just a novice. Hopefully that is all you will ever achieve in the "tipping department". I, on the other hand, am a master tipper. I am, as we speak, waiting for a new left foot peg from University Motors to replace the one that broke off on my last tip-over. It really is painful riding 120+ miles home without a left food peg. Especially when one has to split lanes for 40 miles while missing said foot peg. I've finally come to the conclusion I will have to lower the bike an inch or so. My 27" or 28" inseam just won't cut it. I am, however, learning. Each tip-over is with a different set of "circumstances". I'm used to it now. not a problem anymore.

Still, I love my FJR. Just put 2k more on the old cc for GPS, radar detector and McCruise. There is no escaping the call of the FJR.

Oh, there is also the matter of that ticket I just got for 90 in a 65... Hmmm.. Hence the cruise and radar detector. (But honest, judge, it was dark and damp and my mirrors fogged up. I thought there was a crazed motorist trying to kill me, not a LEO...etc. etc.. I wonder why he didn't show his lights to identify himself as a LEO, I would have quit trying to "get away from him" if I'd know who he was. Right, judge?????) Haven't felt so stupid since I was 18, but that's another story. :dribble: :dribble: :blink: :dribble:

LC

Have you considered rubber matting on the garage floor. :rolleyes: A little cushion couldn't hurt....especially if you are going to habitually pursue this activity. :dribble:
I have that around my barstool :)

MAXINE???? :unsure: .................Excuse me while I get my coat.

Glad no serious damage done.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first time I dropped her (at about 4 weeks old) I was friggin' beside myself. Just couldn't believe I did it and it bothered me for days. This last time I laughed to myself and said, "You dumbass," (I swear I heard Maxine mumble, "You got that right!" :blinksmiley: ) and then stared at her for a while.
I experienced the same thing. When I dropped my FJR I was so really upset and pissed off. Then I wrecked it, and I just stood up like, aww shit, oh well. I don't know why a $300 mistake blew my lid, then a $3000 mistake barely bothers me..??

Some good lessons here. Apart from my actual crash (which even on a good day I don't refer to as "dropping" the bike as some might), I have dropped the FJR, um, let me count.... Twice. The first was in Yosemite while parking at Curry Village. That was my first experience of the famous lame kick stand. Over she went, right into the parked car next to me. Little damage to my bike or the car it fell into. But my posturing as the Big Tough Motorcycle Rider vis-a-vis my Sportster-riding buddy went into the toilet pretty quick. (Reference above to "still have the bag reflectors..." Do some folks replace those?)

The second time was stopping at a filling station. Flicked the kick stand down, dismounted left, and over she started to go into the pump. Caught her just in time. That was enough to cause me now, every time I get off, to look down at the kick stand and wedge my boot behind it before--gingerly--getting off, making sure it's engaged before fully dismounting.

Now, what I've learned in this thread is to stop leaning over (although I'm 6'3"), every time I drop a glove overboard. From now on I'll dismount first.

What I'm waiting to happen next, fearing the inevitable, is pulling up to a stop, bobbling the bike because I STILL can't consistently bring it to a @&%*^! smooth, straight-up stop-and-then-casually-drop-your-boot stop, dabbing my boot at the ground, hitting a spot of grease, and whoop-dee-do over she goes. Is there some trick to that? I've tried approaching quick and stopping, head up looking ahead, front brake only, back brake only, squeeze gently, etc. Until I can do that every time like a CHP cop, I'll always feel like a novice.

Jb

Last edited by a moderator:
Some good lessons here. Apart from my actual crash (which even on a good day I don't refer to as "dropping" the bike as some might), I have dropped the FJR, um, let me count.... Twice. The first was in Yosemite while parking at Curry Village. That was my first experience of the famous lame kick stand. Over she went, right into the parked car next to me. Little damage to my bike or the car it fell into. But my posturing as the Big Tough Motorcycle Rider vis-a-vis my Sportster-riding buddy went into the toilet pretty quick. (Reference above to "still have the bag reflectors..." Do some folks replace those?)
The second time was stopping at a filling station. Flicked the kick stand down, dismounted left, and over she started to go into the pump. Caught her just in time. That was enough to cause me now, every time I get off, to look down at the kick stand and wedge my boot behind it before--gingerly--getting off, making sure it's engaged before fully dismounting.

Now, what I've learned in this thread is to stop leaning over (although I'm 6'3"), every time I drop a glove overboard. From now on I'll dismount first.

What I'm waiting to happen next, fearing the inevitable, is pulling up to a stop, bobbling the bike because I STILL can't consistently bring it to a @&%*^! smooth, straight-up stop-and-then-casually-drop-your-boot stop, dabbing my boot at the ground, hitting a spot of grease, and whoop-dee-do over she goes. Is there some trick to that? I've tried approaching quick and stopping, head up looking ahead, front brake only, back brake only, squeeze gently, etc. Until I can do that every time like a CHP cop, I'll always feel like a novice.

Jb
JB, as the king of dropping, I have a technique for approaching stop signs, etc. I gently let my left foot "scrape" the ground to confirm there is ground there. (note: Since I can't plant both feet on the ground firmly, due to impaired inseam, I need to know that whichever side I choose to plant my foot actually has something solid under it. Actually, I also suffer from a slight, constant form of vertigo. I lost my hearing in my right ear during an airplane ride. Painful long story. The resulting injury damaged and destroyed MOST of the balance function of the right ear. Unfortunately, the remaining 30% of cells still functioning in my right ear send "erroneous" information to my brain. This results in a "low grade", mild case of vertigo or dizziness. The only time it bothers me is during slow speed maneuvers, or when I turn my head sharply to left or right. Obviously, this puts me at a slight disadvantage when practising parking lot maneuvers.) Oddly enough, I have never dropped my VTX1800C which weighs in at about 900 lbs. The reason being is the seat is at 27" and I can plant both feet firmly on the ground while stopped. I guess I'll have to give in and lower the FJR. I just ordered the triple tree and risers. All that is left will be to put dog bones on the rear and I should be good to go. Oh, a new, lower seat might also be in the future.

LC