dropped my BMW today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cctxfjr

Reaction score
Washing bike (R1150) today behind barn with a pressure washer on a crushed limestone drive way trying to turn bike around and foot slipped on rocks when over so fast didnt know what happened tried to pick bike and couldnt (at least not without straining something) had to get grandson to help me. Didnt realize bike was so heavy. It handles well when riding and doesnt feel overly heavy sure was hard to get upright though. I have come close to dropping my FJR before but never had always concerned about fairing damage and real careful at slow or push speeds.

Pressure washer huh? Sorry about the drop, but I'd stay away from pressure washing a bike.
I always use the low pressure (black) nozzle its only a couple hundred pounds at most when washing bikes and atv's-no damage on bike other than pride bike is a R1150RT (P) police and has excellent protection with front and rear crash protection. I was amazed though how heavy the bike felt. I am familiar with lifting procedures and have uprighted bikes before just dont remember any feeling this heavy although I was on an off camber grade trying to lift slightly up hill.

I think the key here may be to pick it up within the first 5 seconds, before the anger and adrenaline start to subside. :)

It's not only the pressure of the washer, per se. It's the fine mist created that permeates into the electronics. I do know of one case of a guy getting charged $700.00 at the BMW dealer for a whole new wiring harness. It fried as soon as he turned the key after pressure washing his fairly new BMW R1150GS. The owners manual of my R1200C back in 2000 specifically said not to use a pressure washer citing the fine mist as the reason.

Jay

...and if you listened carefully, you could hear the FJR snicker..

Now that is funny......those FJR's Are sneaky....probably a set up.....

Sorry it happened most of us have done it and anger helps picking it up....I remember I was like Oh, sh$t I hope my Harley buddy didn't see this..