Dropped this top-heavy PITA today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotRodZilla

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Reaction score
:angry2: I am SO friggin sick of this!!! This F-ing bike falls over like that's what it was made to do. In ONE year, I have dropped this bike four times. In the 19 years prior to this bike, I have only had 2 bikes touch the ground, and one time was not my fault. What pisses me off is that the first time it went over today there was absolutely no damage, except a small scrape to the slider. Of course, the second time made up for that and bent the right side mirror mount, broke the right side foot peg off, scratched the recently replaced right side bag, and gouged the crap out of the slider.

I was on my way out of Albuquerque and stopped at the last gas station headed out of Rio Rancho on Unser. I had a great ride planned and was looking forward to enjoying the road and the new music on my mp-3 player. The gas station has a slanted driveway, but is relatively flat at the pumps. I have probably gotten gas there 5 times, three of them on this bike, with no problems. I put the bike on the center stand and get gas. After fuel, I get it off the center stand and that's when the trouble starts. As soon as the rear wheel hits the ground, I know the bike is leaning hard right. There is just no holding it up, so I guide it down. It touched the ground SOFT. I even switched it off because I still had my hand on the throttle.

I somehow raised the kickstand during this time, so I reached over the bike and put it down by hand so the stand would catch it as I lifted the bike. I'm pretty strong, so I lifted the bike by the bars and stood it up on the stand. I gave it an extra push to make sure it was solid. It was! I look the bike and paint over, and nothing is damaged, except for that small scrape on the slider and an almost unnoticable mark on the outside edge of the mirror. Nothing I give a crap about, so I make sure everything is square with me and go back to the left side to get back on.

As soon as I touch the left handlebar to swing my right leg over, the bike starts its fall to the right again. This time I do not have enough of a handle on the bike, so it goes without me and hits HARD. One of those hits were it seems like it bounces and you can year the plastic slap the pavement. Now I'm pissed, but I think, "Ok, it hit the same spot as before, so the damage should be minimal. Lemme just pick this thing up." That was the wrong answer apparently, because now I cannot get it onto the wheels. A pretty buff girl that was parking when the FJR fell the second time offered to help me lift it. Together we got it back onto its stand. There was no way to lift it putting my ass in the seat and walking it back because it was about 6 inches away from the raised pump island.

After this girl helps me get it standing, she comments on how heavy the FJR really is and then tells me her brother has dropped his bike at this same pump two times. Says everyone who lives in the area refuses to get gas there because so many of them have dropped their bikes on the slanted drive. Apparently it looks worse than it is, but I hadn't realized it was so bad and was comfortable with it because I had stopped there before without a problem. We look the bike over and now find the scratches on the bag and the gouged slider. The slider did it's job though and saved all the front fairing. Now I'm a little irritated, but it's nothing some paint can't fix and I'm still ready to ride and just get the stupidness out of my mind.

I get my helmet and gloves back on and check everythign over one more time. That's when I see the foot-peg laying on the ground. It broke at the mount. Goddammit!!! I put it in the saddle bag and decide to ride the 13 miles home without it. This time I am able to get on the bike without a problem, althought I was very cautious of it moving. As I start the ride home, I realize my right mirror is out of adjustment. I try to fix it and realize the mount under the fairing is bent. Now I am really pissed. I get home and my wife, who doesn't expect to see me for about 5 hours hears me in the garage. She asks what happened and I rant about the whole incident and the money its gonna cost to fix. Then I get on the bike and hit the top of the bent mirror while letting out some cuss words.

I must have hit it just right, cuz it immediately went back into adjustment. Well, after looking it over, I think I actually fixed it, cuz now it seems fine. I know I bent the sub-frame underneath the mount and probably just bent it back to near pre-drop. If not, F-it, I'll just fix it later. For now, I will have to take the bag to the guy at BMW and head to Yamaha on Tuesday for a damn peg.

I love this bike, but I am sick of it falling over. No more slanted driveways, gas stations or parking spots. This thing is way too top heavy for that bullshit. Sorry for the rant, but I actually feel a little better. :angry2:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can appreciate your irritation and frustration, but the FJR is not the problem. Here's your answer:

this girl ... tells me her brother has dropped his bike at this same pump two times. Says everyone who lives in the area refuses to get gas there because so many of them have dropped their bikes on the slanted drive.

My FJR#1 - I've had it 5 years, 150k+ miles. NEVER dropped it. Crashed it a few times, but never dropped it. Don't know what to tell you.

Be CAREFUL. Avoid things that will increase the odds of mishaps like slanted pavement. ALWAYS stay mentally in the game.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Drops abslutely suck.

Put it on the centerstand to get gas???? Sounds too much like work to me.
Huh? I don't consider it work. I ALWAYS C-stand my FJR when fueling.

I been riding bikes for over forty years including a lot of big bikes and the FJR with a full tank of fuel and at low speeds is a handful probably the most top heavy bike I have ever ridden. That all goes away at speed though. The bike needs some type of tip over protection for walking speed spills that offers more protection than the sliders do. I always made a note to carefully inspect all areas when I was parking or turning at slow speeds but came close to dropping mine many things for a variety of reasons including stalling,rocks,oil slicks, uneven ground, cat toys in a dark garage and many others. I think its a matter of when not if a low speed drop will occur. We need some type of adaquate drop protection for these bikes. Its just insane the amount of damage that occurs in these type drops. I know somebody will respond with the many miles they have ridden and never dropped their FJR but for the majority of us its a real concern.

I can appreciate your irritation and frustration, but the FJR is not the problem. Here's your answer:

this girl ... tells me her brother has dropped his bike at this same pump two times. Says everyone who lives in the area refuses to get gas there because so many of them have dropped their bikes on the slanted drive.
+1 on the problem not being the bike.

Most of the time I centerstand the bike while gassing up too, but if the ground slopes to the right I would have kept it on the sidestand.

Still I feel for you.....I just don't agree with you.

C-Stand my bike also when fueling big diff. in fuel level every bit help's, that diff could be another 15 miles from nowhere.

That only makes a difference on an extended trip. At the local station that .3 gals means nothing.

What really matters is the current conditions! If the ground is sloped & you choose to put it on the centerstand anyway, then don't blame the bike when it falls over!

What really matters is the current conditions! If the ground is sloped & you choose to put it on the centerstand anyway, then don't blame the bike when it falls over!
Ok...I'm not actually blaming the bike. I think if I woulda left it on its stand, it might have fallen over while I was fueling it. I'm not sure. What I am mad about is 1- I dropped my bike, 2- I dropped it twice, 3- I broke shit after not breaking shit, 4- If this bike wasn't so top heavy, I don't think I would have had a problem, 5- If I had thought more about that slant, I would have never dropped the bike and would be burning turns right now. I know it's my fault, but I wanna redirect the blame to the defenseless inanimate object; so just go with me on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok...I'm not actually blaming the bike. I think if I woulda left it on its stand, it might have fallen over while I was fueling it. I'm not sure. What I am mad about is 1- I dropped my bike, 2- I dropped it twice, 3- I broke shit after not breaking shit, 4- If this bike wasn't so top heavy, I don't think I would have had a problem, 5- If I had thought more about that slant, I would have never dropped the bike and would be burning turns right now. I know it's my fault, but I wanna redirect the blame to the defenseless inanimate object; so just go with me on this.
I'm going with you on it - it's totally the bike's fault :ph34r: .

But seriously, cut yourself some slack. At least you didn't crush your leg under the bike or hurt a passenger. I know it sucks and it is embarrassing. But look at the bright side, your bike looks more "rugged" now and you now have the essential experience to know what 'not' to do. I'm glad you are ok and I totally understand you being pissed. I'd be pissed off (at myself) too.

I know it's my fault, but I wanna redirect the blame to the defenseless inanimate object; so just go with me on this.
I hear ya, man. But this is FJRForum and 'tough love' is the rule.

As an aside, none of my crashes have been my fault. But I don't blame inanimate objects. I blame somebody else. My last one..........all Groo's fault. Really.

Sorry to hear about your ZSD. I know first-hand how frustrating it is to drop your bike. IMHO, the biggest drawback to the FJR and its classmates is the top heavy nature of the bike. I rarely feel comfortable on the bike until it is moving, having crawled out from under it twice. My little Ninja has the same seat height, yet I was able to right that with ease from about thirty degrees of falling-down-angle.

Jill

C-Stand my bike also when fueling big diff. in fuel level every bit help's, that diff could be another 15 miles from nowhere.
You may be right, but I'll just watch my gas closely-fiddling around with a center stand in a gas station with all kinds of crap on the ground just isn't worth it to me.

Bummer! Whether it's the bike's fault (most assuredly), yours in a moment not concentrating (not likely), or simply an "act of God" (shit happens), it is a bummer. Feel for you. You're beating yourself up enough. I'll not pile on.

Dude. Just 'cause you got that replacement bag cheap, does not mean you're allowed to destroy it!

I've had several near-drops (one nearly caused a hernia), and now concentrate intently, at slow speeds. When finally stopped, I habitually cut off the engine w/ sidestand in 1st gear, then roll forward until the drivetrain catches. Key out, wheel pointed left, walk away admiringly.

Sorry to hear about your drop. I figure as the FJR has a relatively high cg & is fairly heavy that most of us will drop it at one point or another. It's like a guy said once: "Something will happen to all of us. It's just has it happened yet or not?"