Dropped this top-heavy PITA today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I almost dropped mine once just recently.

I was riding 2-up, up a dirt road that had recently been attacked by a viscous rainfall the night before. The crevasses along and through the middle of the road were at least 4 inches deep in the road, the washouts had ripped diagonally across the road. I stopped the bike when I determined I was not going to make the hill, and got my pillion (wife) off, and tried to do a 3-point turn in the muddy incline. The road was so narrow that I couldn't turn the bike in the allotted space, and then a Jeep came over the hill and asked if I needed any help. After I waved him along I completed my turn (after moving a litte of the dead fall across the trail road and then got my lovely to hp back on the back and we were off and away. I really wish I had some video's of the whole shebang as it was the stupidest thing I've ever attempted on a 600 lb street bike.

But I didn't drop it.

Or run out of gas.

This bike is nearly unmanageable!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. I had to add something to nothing and roll this on to a new page...Dropping a bike sucks and eventually it will happen to everyone under some circumstance. However, most of the time some common sense, eval of the area and planned approach will prevent such mishaps.

Still going.... I was gonna ignore this as the guy that started this is a wanker...
Well hell I can't add anything further. :yahoo:

:jester:

I cannot believe this thing turned into 9 (N-I-N-E) pages so far. I was so pissed off the day this happened. I thought I was kind of stupid for posting it in the first place and was kind of glad to see it drop a few pages back. Then FJR-Voltron resurrects if from the dead (thanks) just to fuck with me...Haha...it is actually funny to see how many of us plant our head in our ass for just a split second and end up picking up our bikes.

AND stop calling me wanker...Goat boy.

Almost drop mine going into work the other day. They have these blinds (flat metal plates that go into pipes to stop flow for safety) laid out for motorcyclist to put thier kickstands on in hot weather. The only thing about it is that they slide if you stop on them or even set your foot down on them. So as I tried to avoid them I stopped to hard at the end of a turn. Man I never realized how heavy this bike is. :blink: I'm glad I'm going to the gym for a little core strengthening cause I needed all of it not to drop it. That and the refusal to have my co workers laughing at me. Now that I'm the only one riding in I think I'll kick those blinds to the curb out of the way. :angry2:

Yeah I had to keep this post going! :p

Welp, dropped mine tonight after having it for 6 months or so. I whip it around the parking lots like nobodies business usually but tonight with all my cold weather gear on (it was 21F this morning) something wasn't right so sure as crap I dropped it trying to maneuver around a parking lot to back into a spot. Of course there was a crowd waiting to go into the restaurant I was parking at so they saw everything. Thank goodness the slider saved my fairing but the saddle bag is all scratched up. :(

Guess I'll have to put that spray on bedliner stuff on it like I've seen somewhere else, I doubt I'll find another black cherry saddle bag for very cheap (hint hint!)

Glen

Welp, dropped mine tonight after having it for 6 months or so. I whip it around the parking lots like nobodies business usually but tonight with all my cold weather gear on (it was 21F this morning) something wasn't right so sure as crap I dropped it trying to maneuver around a parking lot to back into a spot.Glen
Very interesting. I dropped mine about a year ago. I had to come to a stop on an uphill curved intersection which pitched rather steeply toward the ditch with an uneven surface and gravel. Admittedly this sets up a potentially challenging situation but I didn't really think I should have gone down (duh). After analyzing what happened I came to the conclusion that wearing my cold weather gear the first time that winter is what tipped the scales. Neither my winter gloves or boots are as sensitive as warm weather gear. Needless to say I'm extra cautious now every time I switch to gear allowing less feel of what's happening.

What really matters is the current conditions! If the ground is sloped & you choose to put it on the centerstand anyway, then don't blame the bike when it falls over!
Ok...I'm not actually blaming the bike. I think if I woulda left it on its stand, it might have fallen over while I was fueling it. I'm not sure. What I am mad about is 1- I dropped my bike, 2- I dropped it twice, 3- I broke shit after not breaking shit, 4- If this bike wasn't so top heavy, I don't think I would have had a problem, 5- If I had thought more about that slant, I would have never dropped the bike and would be burning turns right now. I know it's my fault, but I wanna redirect the blame to the defenseless inanimate object; so just go with me on this.
==

I hear you!!! now go shoot somethin :yahoo:

B......

This is a heavy one, especially for a sport(tourer) bike. I dropped mine 1st week. Not my fault, but I feel your pain. I came over from a Honda 1800 VTX. That Damn bike was so top heavy I could barely turn it around and I'm a big guy. Nothing but engine on that one. Dropped it on the PARKING LOT of the dealer, surprised me, never in 15 years dropped one. Not a scratch on that one. Seemed to be made to drop. No kidding.

So coming off that this bike actually feels very light and agile. But I did drop it too, so here's to ya.

:assassin:

I have to admit, everytime I see a bike without sliders I think about the big scuff on mine and how much it saved my ass!

I cannot believe this thing turned into 9 (N-I-N-E) pages so far.
Shit neither can I

I pissed myself the day this happened.

Ok then what?

I was glad to see it drop

?????

It is actually funny to see me plant my head in my ass end and pick my nose. I'm a wanker...
I hate reading "between the lines"

:jester:

Droped the beast 3 times but never putting gas in the bike . I dont see how i can drop it putting gas in it with both feet are on the ground .

I used to get a kick out of the ST1100 ads on ebay. It seemed like they all said "Never dropped except once at low speed while loading in a trailer." Or "Never dropped but fell over once in the garage." I think they were just about all dropped at low speed once.

Personally, I think the FJR is LESS prone to dropping than many other bikes of similar weight. I think it maneuvers at low speed better than its weight would suggest. However, it is still mighty heavy, and once its past the tipping point, you're screwed for sure.