Duluth around lake superior

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UB2slo

Reaction score
I'm thinking about taking this route sometime this summer. Anyone have any thoughts? Map looks great. Just wondering if anyone has ridden it before? I will be leaving from Iowa.

I've done it a few times - prefer the clockwise version. A must do ride if you are able.

I did it counter clockwise out of SSM. Morning fog was thick, but the north shore is sweet. Are you planning a Lake Superior SS1000 or an off the clock spin?

Weather can be an issue. Those storms pop up quickly and can be interesting without a face shield.
rolleyes.gif

The south side can be summed up with one word ... DEER !

Did it counter clockwise from southern Minnesota in 1980. Beautiful scenery, but watch for deer and moose. And be prepared for drastic weather changes. First day or two of July, it went from a beautiful 70 degree day to 38 degrees the next morning and rain, and the temperature topped out at 45. To repeat, that was July.

All good to know. I will be taking 4-5 days to do it. 400mi days give or take. I was thinking of going second weekend in September. But that may be to late.

Went CCW a couple years ago, touring pace over 6 days in early August, round trip from DM. I didn't tour the southern shore, so I can't offer any insights there. But 4-5 days will allow at least some time to get off the bike and walk around in the beautiful scenery.

Recommended stops in approximate CW order: Patch together a route on the WI side to Duluth, don't slab I-35. In Duluth, Aerostich, of course, and the aerial bridge; ride some of the bluffs around Duluth, too, and imagine what it must be like with snow. Blue Water Cafe in Grand Marais, MN; Kakabeka Falls, west of Thunder Bay (good camping, beautiful just for a sidetrip, too); Rainbow Falls Provincial Park; Ouimet Canyon; and in Wawa, ON, look for a little place called Kinniwabi Pines Fine Dining. I hope they're still there. Excellent food served on china, in a casual atmosphere. The locks at Sault Ste. Marie, MI.

LOTS of photo opportunities. It was a fantastic trip. Happy to share more details if you like.

I chose to go clockwise thinking if there was a reason to want to pull over to take a picture or whatever - there would be no need to cross over the oncoming lane.

All good to know. I will be taking 4-5 days to do it. 400mi days give or take. I was thinking of going second weekend in September. But that may be to late.
I don't think so really. Bug season over, not driving the critters onto the roads, leaves turning colour, weather still warm enough........ early September would be good.

I would have added a couple of things...... the Pie Shop Cafe in Grand Marais, Kakabecka Falls near Thunder Bay, Ouimet Canyon east of Thunder Bay, and the pictographs at Agawa Rock...... I mean, there are some other roses to smell along the way..........

I'm thinking about taking this route sometime this summer. Anyone have any thoughts? Map looks great. Just wondering if anyone has ridden it before? I will be leaving from Iowa.
Where in IA are you? I'm in Cedar Rapids.

I grew up in MN, one side of the family is all from the Duluth area. It's a good ride, but be prepared for nearly any kind of weather. Canadian speed limits are low, and there is plenty of wildlife to watch for.

If you get lucky with the weather, it's as nice a ride as you can imagine.

All the best,

Shane

Great, great ride. Don't miss Kakabecka Falls. Old Woman Bay is gorgeous. Ride up and early, the roads up there are stunning and traffic free in the morning. The north shore views look like Greece, simply stunning.

I ride around Lake Superior every other summer or so. Awesome trip. Beautiful scenery.

You've got lots of good advice already so here's a different idea to add to your trip.

Ride around Lake Michigan too on your way home - or vice versa I `spose. That way you'll get to cross the Mackinac bridge which is awesome - 5th longest suspension bridge in the world.

South of the Mackinac hug the west coast and find the Tunnel of Trees, Petosky, Traverse City and other nice summer towns.

Another thought - if you want to tour the southern coast of Lake Superior, ride up to Copper Harbor (the tip of the 1st major peninsula east of Duluth). Continue east to Pictured Rocks lakeshore - east of marquette. Interesting.

Good tip on Copper Harbor. Up at the top end there are some awesome twisties you can rock and roll on. Some of it right along the shore of Superior. Watch for blown sand in some areas.

So I'm getting really excited about this little trip already. And its only 8 months away. Yep 8!! The trip sounds great. I only have a couple of concerns. The traffic, I'm obviously hoping for as few cars as possible, but just curious to the amount of traffic I should expect. Don't get me wrong, I won't be doing any break neck speeds. But if the road gods a line I wouldn't mind tearing it up once and awhile. I'm sure there are really good roads off the beaten path, lets hope I can find a few. I will be camping this trip. To this point I have hoteled it. But this is going to be an adventure. Keep the comments coming. I need to pass the time until spring hits.

If I were you, when that urge to "tear it up once and awhile" arises, make sure you keep it in check when North of the border. The provencial LEOs would be more than happy to hand you a performance award, you being an out-of-towner and all. IIRC, 50km over posted is a felony up there. One of them tickets will ruin any flower sniffin trip. Also bear in mind that the speed limits drop quickly as you come into towns, at least that's how they appeared to me.

Have a great time planning for your trip and for when you actually take your trip. I have always enjoyed my rides North of the border.

If I were you, when that urge to "tear it up once and awhile" arises, make sure you keep it in check when North of the border. The provencial LEOs would be more than happy to hand you a performance award, you being an out-of-towner and all. IIRC, 50km over posted is a felony up there. One of them tickets will ruin any flower sniffin trip. Also bear in mind that the speed limits drop quickly as you come into towns, at least that's how they appeared to me.
The ONLY time that I have been pulled over was on the Lake Superior SS1000. The ONLY time that I have pulled over for bad weather was on the Lake Michigan SS1000 the day before Superior.

A storm came up in the night as I approached the Mac. Bridge that was very interesting.