Dumped my bike this morning...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Toro Joe

FYYFF
Reaction score
Well, this morning was my turn...streets were wet, and hit a patch of diesel fuel, turning on to the street I work on. One mirror snapped off, the other shattered, both mirror stays are broken, rash on both sides of upper fairing, and both bags. Not a good way to start the day
sadsmiley.gif
...at least the gear did it's job, I'm ok

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear. Glad you are OK, hope that the bike will be taken care of very quickly!

Sorry to hear this. Too easy when there's diesel about.

Just for the record, it's not "both mirror stays", it's one very expensive and difficult to replace (DAMHIK) piece on your '16 (whether it's Gen 3, 3.5, or 4 :) ).

(Click on image for larger view)

Oh, look, you can see the broken-off bit on the right.

And a closer view of my break.

I'm really sorry to hear of your mishap, but very glad to know you're ok.

FWIW, I flipped in an exciting high side in 1972 and had to replace both mirrors, tach, speedo, gas tank, seat and tail light. Not another mark on the bike.

That sucks marble bag. Glad you're OK. About 5 years ago, on Arkansas 123, mine low sided, then grabbed and smashed the other side, just like you described. I feel your (financial) pain.

I hope that your insurance coverage is adequate. Other than the mirrors, is there any other structural damage that you can tell?

Mirrors

Mirror stay

Possibly other up-front stuff

Windshield??

Two bags

Fairings

(Is front fairing OK or trash?)

Forks or frame tweaked?

Rear subframe?

Lots of labor

I wonder whether it is close to being totaled by the insurance company?

Nothing much slicker than diesel fuel on a wet road with wet tires!!!

Edit - just saw the photos. Not as bad as I thought (although it is sometimes hard to tell). Good luck with the settlement.

I hope that your insurance coverage is adequate. Other than the mirrors, is there any other structural damage that you can tell?
Mirrors

Mirror stay

Possibly other up-front stuff

Windshield??

Two bags

Fairings

(Is front fairing OK or trash?)

Forks or frame tweaked?

Rear subframe?

Lots of labor

I wonder whether it is close to being totaled by the insurance company?

Nothing much slicker than diesel fuel on a wet road with wet tires!!!

Edit - just saw the photos. Not as bad as I thought (although it is sometimes hard to tell). Good luck with the settlement.
The front sub frame/mirror stay, and both mirrors are toast, The rest as far as I can tell at the moment is just cosmetic (and I can live with that), but I'll find out when I get it into the dealer, later today. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Man, as often and as far as I ride, I'm truly surprised I haven't it a patch of crap and gone down. I mean, I got knocked down, but that wasn't the same. Makes me think of my bad habit of shedding the mesh when it gets hot. Even mesh burns me up above 80. I'm a poster child for gear in the morning, and a bad example for the 4pm commute. Been that way forever. Good on you for keeping the damage to your bike. How's your gear?