Dunlap Road Smarts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a good price; however....

No thanks, never again Roadsmarts....

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you still have my rear one that we took off there at your place? If you take a picture of where it's just starting to show the threads I'll figure out how many miles are on it and post back here. Personally, I'm thinking I'll never run them again. PR2's for me (once I wear out the my last BT021 I put on yesterday).

When I saw that there were two replies, I thought maybe some others had found an even better price. That price looked pretty good. Thanks, Steve!

Alas, it was just some people taking an opportunity to shit on somebody else's good intent. SOS, different day...

How 'bout a new thread, with some actual information as to why you find the RoadSmart tires undesirable, instead of vague negativity? Go read Ashe's stuff for a good example of useful info....

That's definitely a good price if shipping is free. Is it?

Also...has anyone purchased from them before? Do they have good customer service?

How 'bout a new thread, with some actual information as to why you find the RoadSmart tires undesirable, instead of vague negativity? Go read Ashe's stuff for a good example of useful info....
Bob, there are threads about the subject. Evidently some are geting very low mileage from the Roadsmarts...like 3500 miles, etc. I can't imagine they are worse than the 021s but.....evidently they are for some people.

When I saw that there were two replies, I thought maybe some others had found an even better price. That price looked pretty good. Thanks, Steve!

Alas, it was just some people taking an opportunity to shit on somebody else's good intent. SOS, different day...

That is a good price....
Reading the entire post, I did say that was a good price...

We are talking about the title, "Dunlap's" correct? :p

I guess each person can interpret it how they wish. ;)

That is a good price....
Reading the entire post, I did say that was a good price...

We are talking about the title, "Dunlap's" correct? :p

I guess each person can interpret it how they wish. ;)
It appears to me that you've missed Toecutter's point....again. As a fireman, Bob works weird shifts and doesn't get to the Forum in a timely manner so as to be aware of other threads posted about Roadsmarts. There are many others who do not frequent the forum on a regular basis. It would also have been nice, and helpful, of you to state clearly and succinctly why you wouldn't use them again (i.e., "I only got 3700 miles of service from the last pair I mounted. I'll not use them again, no matter how good the price sounds.) or provided a link to the thread wherein you voiced your opinion.

For those interested in a little research:

Road Smarts site:fjrforum.com

LINK to thread about 5K on Dunlop Roadsmarts where FJRBluesman's post is included.

I lucked out about 6 weeks ago on Ebay and and got a set of Roadsmarts $154 including shipping.

Also scored on a pair of Qualifiers (not my favorite, but the price was good) for $134 including shipping.

Do you still have my rear one that we took off there at your place? If you take a picture of where it's just starting to show the threads I'll figure out how many miles are on it and post back here. Personally, I'm thinking I'll never run them again. PR2's for me (once I wear out the my last BT021 I put on yesterday).
Sorry, tire has been disposed of

Well, I just checked all my usual favorite tire vendors and couldn't touch that price. I've only tried the rear Roadsmart, but so far it has lasted longer (5600 miles) than any other rear tire I've tried on either of my FJRs and still looks damn good. Some complaints I've heard here on the front Roadsmart though have made me consider trying other options when I come due. Helluva price though.

Some data, that hopefully will be positive info for this thread. I keep a tire log. I've gone through 19 tires, (combined F&R, not 19 pairs), and have gotten approx. 10k from every rear except for the Storm, (5700). I pulled the RoadSmart rear at 3k to install the Car Tire, but it shows more wear than I would normally expect for 3k. Already shows a mild squaring.

Front tires usually last me 10-15k. I did run one Azaro to 17k, when it got to the wear bars, but it was pretty crappy for the last 2k or so. Cupped and bumpy wear.

That gives you some idea of how I ride.

The current RoadSmart front tire is about shot now. I'll get a few more miles out of it, but probably less than 1k. Wear has been fairly even, w/o the ribs some have mentioned, but I did see hints of them prior to my last 2300 mile trip, which was a good mix of slab and twisties, and you can see the 'edges' of those areas in the pics below. This front has 5678 miles on it today. I'm not positive it will last past 6k. It feels a bit bumpy, and has some mild cupping that translates to some noise during cornering, but doesn't ride badly, just enough that I do notice it.

Basically I'm saying that it's lasting about half the life I get from almost anything else. That's apples to apples, the way I ride. The rear looks like it would have given about the same life, perhaps slightly better than 50% of my 'normal' tread life. Pics of front tire taken today.

s248et.jpg

20koio9.jpg

Some data, that hopefully will be positive info for this thread....Basically I'm saying that it's lasting about half the life I get from almost anything else.
Yeah, it's all good.

My earlier point was that this is a "Tire Price" thread. There are plenty of "Tire Performance" threads out there to weigh in on. When a thread is hijacked, it should be about tail or boozin', or something funny. Not dissin'.

Personally, I found this post to be one of the best tire performance bits of info to come along to date....