Dunlop RoadSmart Feedback

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After hearing lots of positive feedback on the RS Rear and seeing it in action I'll be putting one on in a few weeks. Stay as far away from the Front RS as you can since it's total POS, at least on the FJR, it cups badly and quickly, becoming trapezoidal in shape. Btw, this is the same experience I've just personally been through with the new Bridgestone BT-023 GT Front, plus it was hard as a rock and tried to wash out in the most unexpected and unwarranted conditions and situations. For the front you could try the Pirelli Angel ST. These are nice tires, unfortunately the rear burns up too quickly, about 3k miles or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need new tires for my 2008. Does anyone have thoughts or experience with Dunlop Roadsmart tires?

I only managed to get 5000 miles out of a new set of roadsmarts last year - about half (or less) than the Michelin PR2's. Nice tires but not particularly long-lived in my experience. Didn't have any issues with the front tire; changed out both at the same time.

Ross

Let me add this....

The rear did last and it's still in the garage. The front lasted maybe 2K and had that funky trapezoidal wear. That being said, I did like the grip and handling while they lasted. But no way worth only 2K-5K miles. I got 10K out of my PR2s and they had another 2K left easy.

I installed one on the rear prior to heading to the NAFO in Knoxville this fall. Have about 3500 miles on it (mostly -2up) and it still shows a good amount of tread. We’ll see how long it lasts, but overall I’m very pleased with the Dunlop Roadsmart.

S.O.'s '09 Fz6R came with Dunlop RoadSmarts -- same size as FJR front, narrower than FJR rear. With 4,500 miles, the rear is quite "sqared-off" and looks like it has, maybe?, 1~2K miles left in it. The front has "the look".

BTW, although they say 'Dunlop' -- they're made by Sumitomo Rubber, Inc., Japan.

From what I see on a bike considerably lighter and less-powerful than the FJR, I won't be using them -- I seriously doubt they'd "stand the gaff" (for me...)? :unsure:

Have a set of Roads Smarts on my '08 coming up on 8K for both tires. I am not a "gentle" rider & they both are wearing evenly. Have about 4K left on front & 2K left on the rear.

The secret to not have uneven wear for the front tire is make sure the tire is not underinflated. They call for 42 PSI front & rear. Do not run the front lower than 40 PSI & you will experience even wear.

The grip is the best of any tires I have previously tried especially in the rain. Would definitly buy another set.

I ran a set front and rear.

They were both pretty much toast at 4000 mi.

Everyone's mileage is different because of the numerous variables that contribute to tire wear.

I really liked the way they felt and I may try them again at some point.

The rear wore evenly from side to side but the front wore the sides much quicker than the center.

ymmv

Funny how there are so many differing opinions. I put them on my 08 and had no issues at all Got approx 10k miles on them Just for change sake I just installed new Bridgestone BT023 and we,ll see how they do

Funny how there are so many differing opinions. I put them on my 08 and had no issues at all Got approx 10k miles on them Just for change sake I just installed new Bridgestone BT023 and we,ll see how they do
Maybe you do a fair bit of slabbing, but certainly if you ride nice roads and ride them hard, you'd find the front RS to be a POS.

I just recently removed the total POS BT-023 GT front, this was the worst front tire I've ever run on the FJR. Here is a link to my experiences with it:

BT-023 GT summary

I need new tires for my 2008. Does anyone have thoughts or experience with Dunlop Roadsmart tires?
If there's a Pirelli Diablo Strada front, lying around your area, waiting on clearance, scoop it up and run it with the RoadSmart rear. Superb combo.

The front RoadSmart is a total POS on the FJR. Way too soft of compound for the heavy girl.

You can pair the RoadSmart rear with the Pirelli Angel front and that performs well. However, there is a noticeable little quirk with that combo. You will feel the RoadSmart transition across its dual-compound lines. Nothing weird happens, but it is a feedback I would rather not have.

In general, you should experience 10-20% more tread life/mileage from a RoadSmart rear than the Pirelli Angel rear. If you don't mind feeling the compound transition feedback, go for it. But save yourself some money and stay the hell away from the RoadSmart front on an FJR.

I guess it depends on where and how you ride, but unlike some others, I love my RoadSmarts...Front and rear. I am on my 3rd full set and will be buying a 4th here real soon. I get almost 6k out of each set, and have not experienced any of the "trapezoid" stuff others have.

I ride the bike pretty hard, but don't have the really tight stuff like the eastern guys do. They seem to be the ones with the worst trapezoid issues. Here in NM, and the trips east I have taken, the tires have been flawless.

I run 42 front and 43 rear. They have never slipped, let loose, or made me shit myself. Well...On good pavement. Like all tires, I have had a couple pucker moments on sand/gravel, and I despise tar-snakes. They will give some movement on the snakes, but they always catch. Earlier this year, in Tennessee, my rear broke loose over some gravel in a tight right turn. As soon as the pavement cleaned up, the tire caught and righted itself. I was impressed. Their grip in the rain is phenominal!

For around $200 or a set, I won't be going to anything else anytime soon.

I guess it depends on where and how you ride, but unlike some others, I love my RoadSmarts...Front and rear. I am on my 3rd full set and will be buying a 4th here real soon. I get almost 6k out of each set, and have not experienced any of the "trapezoid" stuff others have.

I ride the bike pretty hard, but don't have the really tight stuff like the eastern guys do. They seem to be the ones with the worst trapezoid issues. Here in NM, and the trips east I have taken, the tires have been flawless.
You're absolutely right. The RoadSmart pair runs extremely well in what we call "sweepers" and "slab". It's the super-tight twisties and chipseal surfaces that eat the front alive!

I should learn to be more concise with my opinions. Oh what the hell, why start now!