Dyno run on 107,000 mile 07 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panman

Reaction score
I took the old 07 107,000 mile red head down to Two Wheel Dynoworks (Nels Byersdorf for you PNW folks) looking to smooth out off throttle lean issues and improve the PC III fuel mapping. Nels stated that he needed to re-calibrate the TPS, that it was running lean at the top and tweaked the low end

Not a lot miles yet but smoother for sure and I won't know about fuel usage till I ride with some folks to see if I'm still the guy using the most fuel.

Only modes besides the PC III are the Remus cans and K & N air filter.

He are the results, which don't seem to shabby for a 107,000 mile bike.

IMG_20180711_150728190_zpsjdyz5mdi.jpg

IMG_20180711_150721651_zpsofysegfv.jpg

Don, your new ride might be better with the re-flash that Ivan's doing. Ask G about it.

Pretty good numbers Kevin. That is right about where my 03 was with the PC3 and dynoed at Skagit many moons ago.

Not bad for an old bike - wonder how my '07 would do with 186,000 miles?

Not a lot miles yet but smoother for sure and I won't know about fuel usage till I ride with some folks to see if I'm still the guy using the most fuel.
I used to be the guy using the most fuel when I had the Power Commander on the bike. Took it off and got used to the snatchy throttle - probably should have spent some time playing with it to come up with compromise conditions. The original owner (who put a grand total of 12,000 miles on the bike) had it set up by someone with more power as the primary objective (not smoothness or economy). Never had it Dyno'd after pulling the PC III but it didn't seem to be all that different.

Nels does great work! He did my red headed '07 back in '12 and she's been purring ever since, 44-46 MPG, sometimes a little less...;-). WOW Kevin, 107K!! I thought I rode mine a lot and I'm a 46K! Good Job!

Not bad for an old bike - wonder how my '07 would do with 186,000 miles?

I used to be the guy using the most fuel when I had the Power Commander on the bike. Took it off and got used to the snatchy throttle - probably should have spent some time playing with it to come up with compromise conditions. The original owner (who put a grand total of 12,000 miles on the bike) had it set up by someone with more power as the primary objective (not smoothness or economy). Never had it Dyno'd after pulling the PC III but it didn't seem to be all that different.
My 07 was real jerky off corners, I had a long time FJR rider trade me bikes on the way to the 08 NAFO and the first thing he said was go home and put that PC III in.

Nels does great work! He did my red headed '07 back in '12 and she's been purring ever since, 44-46 MPG, sometimes a little less...;-). WOW Kevin, 107K!! I thought I rode mine a lot and I'm a 46K! Good Job!
Mostly play time miles, drove a Snohomish Co Community Transit Van all the while I have owned the FJR (since new). I have always looked at myself as a worthy candidate for Carvers CBA.

I guess for the wetside of Wa 10,000 a year isn't bad. Even tho I retired 1/31/18 I don't see those miles going up as I have a Super Tenere now and it will be splitting duties now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps my '07 was not as bad as some. Or maybe I'm more tolerant (or dumber) than others?? My 2011 is somewhat smoother but it just feels a bit more refined rather than a night-and-day difference.

Anyway, its nice to know they can still put out the power when needed. My (new-to-me) 2011 "feels" like it may have a few more ponies on tap but it has 140,000 fewer miles. It also does a bit better at the gas pump than the '07 ever did. Perhaps some changes in the 2011 fuelling may make it seem a little livelier. The '07 has ever consumed a measureable amount of oil between changes and shows no symptoms of giving up in the near future.

Tempted to take it for a dyno run, just to see. Are the blue and red lines before and after tweaking? Improvement is decent!

Blue before and Red after.

I was told that altering my riding style may also help my fuel economy. I some times tend not to down shift and let the motor pull it which takes more throttle impute and using more gas.

I don't recall seeing any dyno runs for the FJR before.

If anyone knows, how does this compare to a bone stock bike? To a bone stock bike with that kind of mileage?

Thanks for the chart and the other links, Panman.

My very narrow interpretation: max torque occurs between 5,000 and 7,000 rpm, so that's where I should be when riding twisties. The power band between 5K and 7K will provide the quickest throttle response, whether speeding up or engine braking. Sound right?

CraigRegs' chart shows lowest fuel consumption starts above 100 mph, so that's where I should be for long distance cruising economy.
coolsmiley02.gif
"But Officer, I'm just trying to be environmentally friendly!"

Seriously, last weekend was a hoot running interstates at 90+ mph ... with the "ECO" light illuminated on my dashboard. Gas mileage was significantly lower than 40 mpg, however.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty typical for every FJR I've ever seen. The 145 number is at the crank and with the shaft, there's some loss. The 123 and 125 is respectable. I want to say, back when some of the guys were really trying to eek out every last drop, 125 was about the max.

Really though --- Dyno numbers are only relative to that particular dyno.

Take it across town to another dyno and get another number.

They are useful for A/F ratio readings but for ultimate HP - torque numbers it means little.