Earplugs: just me?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThwartedEfforts

Reaction score
Each time I buy new gear, or upgrade my helmet, I vow to get earplugs that work for me because I know I should be looking after my lugholes.

The problem I have is that ALL plugs I've ever tried, from the cheap twist-and-stuff ones my instructor gave me 20 years ago (and which I secretly stashed in a pocket rather than wore), to today's vastly more expensive silicone rockets that come with their own carry case, all give me that slightly remote feeling I associate with a head cold. They screw with my balance, equilibrium, call it what you want, and I know when I'm using them that I'm a worse rider.

I get scrappy. They make me feel clumsy, like I have congestion. It's quiet but I don't feel safe, so I don't wear them
fool.gif

First question: is this really just me? Second question: is there anything else that works? I can't have things stuffed into my ears because, try as I might to get used to the idea, the feeling is basically wrong. I've spent days of riding trying to get over the sense of detachment and... I can't.

What I'm imagining is some sort of over-the-ear, noise-cancelling device whose level I can dial in and out to find a sweet spot. Does such a thing exist?

Last edited by a moderator:
I always wear ear plugs when riding and I do not experience any of the issues you describe. In fact, back when I did not wear ear plugs I would get tired a lot sooner. I do not know of any on ear or over the ear noise cancelling device that would fit inside a helmet.

It's not just you, but it affects some people more than others.

It sounds to me as if your head is going to pop because you can't get the steam to vent.

This may be what is causing your equilibrium to be thrown off.

smile.png

Tinnitus is no fun. It never goes away. Never. Protect your ears.

Have you tried some of these newer plugs yet?

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection.html

Granted, they still go into the ear, but I've found that the Etymotic 20XS didn't pressurize my ears like foam plugs sometimes do.

These do not block as much noise as foam plugs, but they also don't make things sounds muffled. I can carry on a conversation with these, and most of the sound range (voice and music) is still available.

https://eargasmearplugs.com/pages/motorcycle-page?gclid=Cj0KCQjw5fDWBRDaARIsAA5uWTj3KmYD81SW1k8ERygIoJ1WLsvqCr0Q5Zy0VEKV6cD1XaJPgF59xMEaAmepEALw_wcB

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nonoise-motorsport-noise-filter-ear-protection

I alternate between the above pairs of plugs - they work wonderfully for me.

This after trying all the usual foam ones and expensive custom molded types.

Tinnitus is NOT fun ! I've been afflicted with it since I was 40 years old -- so, nearly 33 years now. With me day and night so I've had to make it "my friend"

Best of luck with your search Sir.

I've sometimes experimented with use of earplugs in the past (different times, different bikes), but have not found a significant need to use them while pounding out the miles on my old Gen 1.

I do take my hearing pretty seriously, and love high fidelity music. However, most of my highway miles on the FJR are with an oversize windshield up in its max height position, and I find that I'm sometimes turning my old Sena communicator volume level down - even at highway speeds.

So, I would agree, it does vary with each person, and I think we have to all be careful to honestly assess the real need. A number of factors are involved, including how quiet our helmets are. My buddies chide me for using a modular helmet (their concern is not of noise, but a widely held maxim about modulars being less safe by design), - and I have read that cheaper modulars may be a few db louder than solid helmets. Still, someone who routinely wants/needs to ride around with their visor open is going to get more noise, so another consideration for earplugs.

One of my buddies swears by a small kit he bought a couple years ago, which allows you to form ear plugs exactly fitting your aural canal - from a combination of some rubber compound + a catalyst. I however, remain uncommitted for now.

Take this from an old guy that will likely need hearing aids soon. (Waiting for Medicare to kick in when I retire)

Wear some kind of hearing protection. 40+ years of riding have already done their damage on me. If wearing earplugs effects your balance...there's something wrong. Go see a doctor. You might have a sinus issue or punctured drums. Or something more serious.

I'm pretty happy just using the cheap foam ones now that I get at work for free. Sadly I didn't start sooner. Even the quietest helmet and a tall windscreen will not protect you over time. And that's what it's about....time. Every day you ride will slowly add to it. You will tell yourself "it's not really loud, my ears seem fine" Then you hit 60 and your kids and wife complain about how loud you need to have the TV turned up to hear what's going on. And sometimes you still don't.

Trust me. If you ride a motorcycle on any regular basis and don't wear hearing protection you will end up where I am. You won't see it happening until it's too late.

Find some hearing protection that works. My ears are ringing now constant. Its a distraction you don't want forever.

I like the soft ones Heroes.

Many years ago I had serious balance problems and other issues. Doctors never found the problem but it mostly went away on its on. I do have sinus issues MRI back then showed it.

Nice ride today 265 .

Trust me. If you ride a motorcycle on any regular basis and don't wear hearing protection you will end up where I am. You won't see it happening until it's too late.
I'm in exactly the same position. Hearing aids in the next couple of months.

In addition to motorcycling you can add lawn mowing, snowblower, (motor) boating, music concerts and firearm use to the list!

Always use earplugs, even for a short ride around the block. Usage is split between my favorite foamies and a custom molded set, although foamies get the nod more often than not.

Once your hearing is compromised it's no fun.

--G

I spent 27 years turning tax dollars into smoke and very loud noises. Thankfully the Army put great emphasis on hearing protection and I wore earplugs when the circumstances allowed. Now when my hearing is tested I find I have better than average hearing for a person of my age. Riding a bike without hearing protection is just as damaging in the long run as gunfire and explosions; it just does its harm in an insidious way.

I don't ride anywhere without ear plugs. I use the foam ones, but kept trying different ones until I found some I liked best. BTW, my ears ring all the time - loud music, hunting and riding motorcycles without ear plugs did it to me.

In 2003, I rode to the Honda Hoot in Knoxville, TN. At the vendor area, there was a lady making custom earplugs. She stuffed a little cotton down deep in both ear canals and injected some type of plastic goop in my ears. I had to sit for a while until the goop set up. Once dried, she took the hardened material out of my ears, filed off the excess stuff and sprayed them with some type of sealant. She asked me to stop back in about an hour to pick up the finished product. I've been wearing them for 15 years now and clean them with antibacterial soap every once in a while. They are fantastic! I've never been able to locate the woman again, but I'm sure these things are still made. I recommend them highly and wouldn't ride without them.

I had a set of custom silicone earplugs made for me as well. My experience was not as good. They fit well and attenuated sound very well UNTIL I put my helmet on. The subtle pressure that the helmet placed on my outer ear evidently changed the shape of the inner ear sufficiently to break the seal so the plugs were ineffective.

I have been using the orange Howard Leight foam plugs for a number of years and find they work very well. Very important to insert them correctly for maximum volume reduction but without causing discomfort after several hours of use. I will typically use a set for several days.

81cbdOn0hTL._SL1500_.jpg

Ross, If you still have the custom ones, maybe you could try filing down the outer side of the custom plugs so they don't stick out so far. Mine have seated and sealed perfectly with multiple helmets throughout the years. Just a thought.

Take this from an old guy that will likely need hearing aids soon. (Waiting for Medicare to kick in when I retire)
Wear some kind of hearing protection. 40+ years of riding have already done their damage on me. If wearing earplugs effects your balance...there's something wrong. Go see a doctor. You might have a sinus issue or punctured drums. Or something more serious.

I'm pretty happy just using the cheap foam ones now that I get at work for free. Sadly I didn't start sooner. Even the quietest helmet and a tall windscreen will not protect you over time. And that's what it's about....time. Every day you ride will slowly add to it. You will tell yourself "it's not really loud, my ears seem fine" Then you hit 60 and your kids and wife complain about how loud you need to have the TV turned up to hear what's going on. And sometimes you still don't.

I agree, something isn't right and you should see a audiologist. You might find a problem in your ears or learn you are doing thing wrong. I've even heard of a bad wax buildup cause some strange problems as well.

Good luck!! Finding hearing protection that works for you definitely isn't one size fits all.

Ross, If you still have the custom ones, maybe you could try filing down the outer side of the custom plugs so they don't stick out so far. Mine have seated and sealed perfectly with multiple helmets throughout the years. Just a thought.
I might give it a try before I toss them - or just keep them for applications where I am not wearing the helmet.

I used to wear a cheap(er) Bell helmet, and found tons of noise and buffeting.

Now I use a Shoei and found it smoother and quieter than most... and a larger windshield.

All the foam ear plugs got moved a little when I donned the helmet, and I'm too cheap for custom foam, so now I squish up a 1/4 of a kleenex tissue , and I'm golden. It seems to eliminate wind noise, but not much audible sound. I can still talk w/ most folks or my passenger easily.

Usually I forget they're in there until someone asks about them at a stop. Cheap and easy to toss and replace.