Earplugs: just me?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't the yellow things cause problems? The red&yellow part looks more or less like standard foam, but the bit sticking out?
That was a concern, especially with the Sena speakers installed in the helmet ear hole and I was prepared to snip the flexible stem off if need be. To both of our surprise, that is not necessary and is a non-issue. YMMV

Keep Going!

So I've done a few more tweaking and testing and such with my main combination. Given my ears (along with 72 years of abuse) + the Neotec + Sena SRL + 2013 FJR + National Cycle non-Vstream windshield + Ear Peace with the lowest (which they call medium) sound suppression filter seems to work best for the music I usually listen to. More faithfully renders the broad dynamics of and wide range of instruments of symphonic music than the middle (high) filter. I feel like all this is pretty close to using earbuds without the hassle thereof.

Peripherally, I've quit using my Vstream, as this older NC windshield I had laying around seems to me to be quieter. It looks like they no longer make this model (whatever it is).

Did I leave well enough alone? Silly people, of course not. I tried out my Bell Mag-9 Sena with everything else the same. This is an open-face helmet with integrated SMH-10. As with the Neotec there is no provision for earbuds, as the custom mount for the SMH-10 doesn't provide for it. This is a pretty noisy helmet and especially does very little to suppress road/engine/wind noise coming in from below. I wouldn't dream of using this for any serious traveling. But the Ear Peace deal helps quite a bit, making life acceptable. A useful setup for driving around locally (i.e. slowly) in hot weather, as it's reasonably cool. Music is easily heard as clear, noise is reduced quite a bit, but there's more to begin with. NOTE: do not even think about enabling VOX-initiated intercom with this helmet unless you want almost non-stop whining about "intercom failed"
weirdsmiley.gif

creg-ny-baa posted: Give us a report at SFO?
They worked well, filtering out lots of road noise and only a little of the podcasts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having started this thread back in April and not been automatically subscribed to it, I'd no idea it was still rumbling along. Really interested to read all the further responses.

Adding to the pool of opinion, I bought the following a week or so back:

Alpine MotoSafe Tour

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06Y2BQ15R

alpine_motosafe_tour.jpg

Someone else mentioned these as well but sadly they're not for me.

The MotoSafe design makes their presence in your ear almost undetectable over any distance, whereas the ACS ER2s quickly start to chafe - in fairness the ACS plugs are aimed at festival goers, not motorcyclists, and their stems are too long to be comfortable jammed against a helmet - but sadly the Alpine pair just don't seem to match their performance. On the motorway I find the wind tiring and at all speeds the blacktop roar and patter and mechanical noises from the machine are more intrusive than I think they should be.

One of the bullet points on Alpine marketing literature says "No feeling of isolation" and it's certainly true you don't feel that detached from the bike or the road
weirdsmiley.gif
However because of their comfort I'm going to stick with the brand and try the MotoSafe Sport variants instead. They purport to be a notch quieter and I'll report back.

I can’t stand “insertion” type of earplugs for more then 30 min, found “ Mack's Pillow Soft Silicone Earplugs“ on amazon, work great.

I started wearing the cheap foam plugs a couple of years ago and noticed a big difference in noise reduction and comfort. For longer trips I wanted to be able to listen to my GPS and music so I started wearing ear buds but it was frustrating when they would slip out (usually as soon as I put on my helmet). I went with one of these helmets last year and so far I am impressed.

https://www.quietridehelmets.com/

very interesting - did you get the in helmet speaker option? Does that work on the Bluetooth principle or wired?

very interesting - did you get the in helmet speaker option? Does that work on the Bluetooth principle or wired?
Yes, with the speakers. You can hear very clearly. They are wired which makes them simple but a BT option was in the works when I last talked to Alvin.

Out of curiousity, from this thread, I ordered ear peace plugs. Nice packaging. Nice aluminum holder. Very comfortable. Like not even wearing plugs. And there was the problem. With the two lower level inserts, sound reduction at speed was imperceptible. With the highest (Black) inserts, the sound reduction was about what I’d get from putting a set of stock plastic Apple earbuds in. They sealed well. They just didn’t do the job. Generic foam plugs are just as good at letting me hear the noise of cars around me, but far better at decreasing roar from wind. Just one guy’s experience. I’ve used them for three days now, and tomorrow, I’ll be going back to effective disposable earplugs from Moldex.
I had the exact same experience with the Ear Piece plugs. I've been using Howard Leight foamies for thousands of miles. They work for me.

I even went through a couple of Aerostich variety packs and found any of the foamies work well for me.

https://www.aerostich.com/clothing/visibility-protection/earplugs/aerostich-disposable-earplug-sample-kit.html

https://www.aerostich.com/clothing/visibility-protection/earplugs/aerostich-reusable-earplug-sample-kit.html

I've been half following this thread this year and didn't (yet) see any mention of the S-Plug in ear speaker. After years of using foam disposable (Max Leight 33) preceded by years of no protection, I bought my first Sena helmet setup. I was so disappointed with the helmet speakers I set out to find a better solution.

Researching here at the nuthouse, I learned of the S-plugs and bought a set. Very impressed with the comfort and the greatly improved sound quality, especially when playing music. The speaker is very small and fits in the ear canal. The whole bud is inside and doesn't interfere with helmet padding, etc. And the speaker obviously doesn't have to power through your super-duper 33db foam earplugs. I did have to buy a different helmet clamp kit from Sena to plug the earbuds into. Sorta pricey at ~$50 but worth it to me.

I wore this set up this year for my 27 day, 10,000 mile road trip and have no complaints. Once in a while one ear bud would work its way out a little but that is due to poor installation by the rider I think.

The S-plugs do a fine job of knocking down the ambient noise, probably as good as a foam plug, with the advantage of much better sound quality. And they come in handy when using yardwork power tools too. Amazing how much lawn you can mow during 'In Memory of Elizabeth Reed'.

FJReady posted ... Amazing how much lawn you can mow during 'In Memory of Elizabeth Reed'.
I've been to Elizabeth Reed's grave in Rose Hill Cemetery, Macon.

rose-hill-cemetery.jpg

Mrs. Elizabeth Jones Reed Napier rests near the railroad track in a section with small, bricked terraces. That part of the cemetery, overlooking the Ocmulgee River, is private and very quiet. Easy to see why the band would hang out there.

Berry Oakley, Duane, and Greg Allman are at 32.847243, -83.631487 if you're interested in a somber road trip. Mrs. Napier is a very short walk to the north.

Last edited by a moderator: