Earplugs: just me?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone else tried Mack's Moldable Pillow Soft Silicone Earplugs? I started using them a few years back and like them pretty well. Works well with sound systems. For me, damage done though. Tinnitus sufferer for more than thirty years. Logging equipment in southwest Washington. Probably more than a few gunshots too. You can always tell an old logger, but you have to tell it loud.
Silicone works for me. Tear one in half and stuff em in. When you take a break just stick em to the tank till later. The only problem is when you step on one by accident and track it in the house.
rolleyes.gif

Two thumbs up for NoNoise. I've used various foam plugs - meh - OK but not great. Early on, I thought I'd been conned into buying them and tried going without (Shoei Air GT). And put them back in at the next stop! Besides, there's that way cool carrier thingie. It goes on my neck strap key carrier, next to the brake disk lock key, helmet cable lock code, and (surprise) ignition key.

Tinnitus - check. I guess I'm lucky, I can tune it out most of the time. Except when the white noise turns into a single tone. Argh!

Hearing aids, know I need 'em but not enough to push me past the tipping point. Yet. Even Eric Clapton needs them now. :(

I had the custom earplugs made also but had heard to put your helmet on after the gel was poured in because your ears change shape when your helmet is on so I did that and the plugs fit great. I always wear Arai helmets that are long oval shape so the plugs fit the same with different helmets. I've been using the plugs for about 10 yrs and they work as good as day one and can be worn for long periods, just clean them with antibacterial cleaner now and then like FJRPittsburgh said.

,Course there's always the choice between blissful silence and the sound of an ambulance screaming at some numb-nuts motorcycle type who acts as if there were no siren. That's why I like the NoNoise plugs and, finally, mounted speakers that don't ...um... plug up my hearing.

I just use cheap plugs on line usually the yellow ones with blue cord. They do great. If you don't use plugs and ride a lot you'll have hearing loss. Good luck.

I'd just about kill for plugs that turn down wind noise, let sirens and speakers through, and don't create hot spots. Sometimes I'm good for a few hours, sometimes 30 minutes will do me in. I've accumulated a collection of foam, soft plastic, buds (gave them up as too much aggro). I should start swapping them around on a ride. Or maybe just put duct tape over my ears... ;)

Get the ones with a cord between them. Too easy to lose one if they're not tethered together. Same reason Mom made me wear those stupid mittens with the cord connecting them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Each time I buy new gear, or upgrade my helmet, I vow to get earplugs that work for me because I know I should be looking after my lugholes.
The problem I have is that ALL plugs I've ever tried, from the cheap twist-and-stuff ones my instructor gave me 20 years ago (and which I secretly stashed in a pocket rather than wore), to today's vastly more expensive silicone rockets that come with their own carry case, all give me that slightly remote feeling I associate with a head cold. They screw with my balance, equilibrium, call it what you want, and I know when I'm using them that I'm a worse rider.

I get scrappy. They make me feel clumsy, like I have congestion. It's quiet but I don't feel safe, so I don't wear them
fool.gif

First question: is this really just me? Second question: is there anything else that works? I can't have things stuffed into my ears because, try as I might to get used to the idea, the feeling is basically wrong. I've spent days of riding trying to get over the sense of detachment and... I can't.

What I'm imagining is some sort of over-the-ear, noise-cancelling device whose level I can dial in and out to find a sweet spot. Does such a thing exist?
Get custom molded silicone ones.

Mine block out the harmful stuff, but I still hear enough to be safe and aware of what's going on around me.

Bonus is, not being as tired after a full day riding. One less annoyance your brain has to process

do it

Tried out a set of these today:

https://www.earpeace.com/products/motorcycle-ear-plugs?variant=40836255236

There are others around, basically designed around the needs of musicians (playing flute right in front of the brass section in a Wagner Opera orchestra ain't no picnic), these are motorcycle specific. Work just right. They get rid of the road and wind noise remaining with the new helmet and address several issues:

- My Neotec II with SRL headset doesn't accommodate earbuds.

- Earbuds are a pain to deal with.

- The earplugs I've otherwise used mask too much of the audio. These do just the right thing with the audio.

- These are visually unobtrusive and allow normal conversation, so I don't need to constantly insert/remove when running errands.

- They stay put donning and removing the helmet.

I've historically had no particular problem wearing plugs (or in-ear headsets) in my ears on full days of flying and biking, so I doubt I'll have problems wearing these all day. The downside is they are really small and translucent. Drop one and it may be gone forever.

I will be trying these out the next time I go flying to see how well they augment my ANR headset.

@RichDoyle Interesting... the Earpeace plugs look extremely like a set of plugs made by Pinlock (the anti-fog insert people). I bought them from Hein Gericke in Germany. They're OK but nothing great.

[/...]Get custom molded silicone ones.

Mine block out the harmful stuff, but I still hear enough to be safe and aware of what's going on around me.

Bonus is, not being as tired after a full day riding. One less annoyance your brain has to process

do it
IIRC molded plugs are spendy. I think I've seen somewhere around $130. Ouch.

RBEmerson posted: I can see how they're disappointing. The molded part is interesting but they're "only" supporting standard in-ear buds. Nice try, Fuze, but no.
Tried 'em? If not, your opinion is worthless.

I stand by the post. The part of any bud that goes in the ear canal often creates a hot spot. Hot spots are what make buds and ear plugs downright hurt. Fuze has a molded outer part, which is a good thing. But having a part that goes into the ear canal undoes that. In the end, they're just one more "in the ear" bud, but with a better outer seal.

When I saw the web site, I wondered if the seal alone would work as a sound reducer. I'm not $40 curious.

If that offends you, ignore the post and move on.

I have a set of these with short chords which I plug into my Sena 20s. They seal fairly well dry, but if you smear a little antibiotic ointment on them they suck in and seal really well. The ointment is also a good way to get your ears use to having ear-molds in. Less pain while your ears are breaking in.

https://www.earplugstore.com/noname11.html

got-ears-brand-challenger-custom-molded-isolation-earphones-49.jpg

[/...]
Get custom molded silicone ones.

do it
IIRC molded plugs are spendy. I think I've seen somewhere around $130. Ouch.
I have 2 sets. One set with their standard length cord and the 2nd with a 3' cord. Both were about $150 but well worth it. I like the shorter cord better.

Custom molded outer and canal sections for a better fit.

https://www.fjr-tips.org/acc/ear/ear.html

RBEmerson posted: <snip> If that offends you, ignore the post and move on.
The post itself doesn't offend me. It's your opinion being masked as 'knowledgable' by some pseudo-reasoning backed by zero experience. THAT is what offends me.

And I will never ignore pseudo-reasoning, as I see it as an effort to mislead.

If my efforts to encourage accurate information on this board offends you, ignore my posts and move on.