Earplugs: just me?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've ridden (and flown) many, many hours with in-ear foam plugs or tips without discomfort. This includes substantial variations in elevation. The only thing I've found it necessary to do with them is clean out the earwax periodically. And more infrequently replace them. The flanged silicon products have been easier to keep clean and never seem to need replacement. No discomfort experienced with these, either.

This stuff is all subjective. What's true for me isn't necessarily true for others.

Last edited by a moderator:
[/...]
Get custom molded silicone ones.

Mine block out the harmful stuff, but I still hear enough to be safe and aware of what's going on around me.

Bonus is, not being as tired after a full day riding. One less annoyance your brain has to process

do it
IIRC molded plugs are spendy. I think I've seen somewhere around $130. Ouch.
Mine were $100 cdn, so like $5.... that included a couple visits back to have the audiologist adjust a couple spots for max comfort. WELL worth it IMHO

Foam "roll 'em up" plugs seem to come and go for me. That is some go in and work like a charm, some won't roll up well fresh out of the bag. Sometimes they make hopspots, sometimes they don't. I even brought some back from Obi, a German "Home Depot". Some work... etc.And, yes, I do try to keep earwax too a minimum (euwww TMI!). Plugging up my buds with ...um... biological material is not a good thing (buds used while on my tractor or waving powered tools around - never with a chain saw! I wear "Mickey Mouse" muffs over the buds).

For anyone interested in foam plugs, Home Depot and Lowe's sell 3M foam plugs in quantity boxes and even in hot red and raspberry purple. Woohoo!

I take it you're not a fan of David Clark gear?

I use to have to wear the foam earplugs at work for many years ( extreamly noisy job) for 8 hours a day and did not have a problem with them. But now if I use them my ears quickly feel pressureized and I feel very isolated from the world. I tried the Alpine Motosafe Tour earplugs and find them great. No more isolation, I can hear general conversation when stopped, can hear road sounds that is the bike and traffic etc. and my music and intercom are crystal clear. They cut out most of the wind noise and low frequency noise of exhaust noise. No more pressurised feel either and cause they are so soft they are very comfortable for long periods of time.

I have tried the Alpine Motosafe Sport that cut out more sound and they were great but the Tour is what is the best for me.

So:

Yesterday we had an Opera Bend Board meeting at lunch at Cafe Sintra in Bend. As we were sitting down and commenced our conversation dozens of other folks inconsiderately decided to come in and have lunch at the same time. The place being in a small brick-walled space, my tinnitus-crippled ears were soon useless to hear any of our world-changing deliberations. Since I had ridden the bike to town for this meeting I decided to put the Ear Peace doodads into said ears.

'Twas wonderful! All the background din disappeared and I could actually hear and participate in the conversation.

RichDoyle posted: <snipped a bit>So:

Yesterday we had an Opera Bend Board meeting at lunch at Cafe Sintra in Bend. ... I decided to put the Ear Peace doodads into said ears.
Which of the Ear Peace models do you use? I could discern no difference among the three except color.

(And kudos for supporting the Opera!)

I got the Ear Peace M model (for Motosports). There are three sets of filters each with different levels of sound attenuation. I used the filters that came preinstalled in it, the red one (medium). I assume the various models come with different filter sets.

The only difference among the filters that one can see is the diameter of the passage.

Generic foam plugs do all this for me.

I'd just about kill for plugs that turn down wind noise, let sirens and speakers through, and don't create hot spots. Sometimes I'm good for a few hours, sometimes 30 minutes will do me in. I've accumulated a collection of foam, soft plastic, buds (gave them up as too much aggro). I should start swapping them around on a ride. Or maybe just put duct tape over my ears... ;)

I have three different foam plugs in red, purple, and green and... some days they work well and don't irritate me, some days...

Seriously, this is a good video about choices for ear noise control.

https://eargasmearplugs.com/pages/motorcycle-page?gclid=Cj0KCQjw5fDWBRDaARIsAA5uWTj3KmYD81SW1k8ERygIoJ1WLsvqCr0Q5Zy0VEKV6cD1XaJPgF59xMEaAmepEALw_wcB
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nonoise-motorsport-noise-filter-ear-protection

I alternate between the above pairs of plugs - they work wonderfully for me.

This after trying all the usual foam ones and expensive custom molded types.

Tinnitus is NOT fun ! I've been afflicted with it since I was 40 years old -- so, nearly 33 years now. With me day and night so I've had to make it "my friend"

Best of luck with your search Sir.
Thanks for those links. I have a box of the foam ones and a pair of the custom molded silicone ones. For me the foam ones are more effective. I can't use the tapered ones; it seems like they're too tight in my ear canal.

Question about the ones above: Do you have any issue keeping them in place when you put your helmet on? I just got a new Shoei RF-1200, and one or both of the silicone plugs will dislodge at least part way when I'm getting the helmet on and getting my ears tucked into place.

The only plugs I have not tried are custom molded plugs. "Christmas tree"-shaped plugs from different vendors, foam plugs from different vendors... BTDT. They all work differently, but all of them varied from day to day, and all of them fit better on one day and not well another day. The take-away here is: it's all individual. What works or fits for me, might or might not work for you, and vice versa. It can be an expensive process, but the surest way to find the best choice is to keep trying them. Too bad I don't have a Plugs-R-Us franchise. ;)

Funny video. But the fact you can't clean the foam cheap foam ones as a "negative" is negated because they are so damn cheap...you don't clean them, you throw them away and grab a fresh pair. The Howard Leight ones in the vid are the exact ones I use. The cheap factor is completely removed because I get them free at work.

I do however cut the cord off them, along with about 3/16" of the end. This keeps them from sticking out enough to get pulled out putting my helmet on. I found the cord annoying rubbing against my neck and jaw. I can usually use them several times before I toss them for a new pair.

I've tried the wax ones a few times. Didn't like them over the foam. More of a pain to take out and put back in. I think they are more usuful for swimmers.

Again, us whatever works for you, the important part is just wearing some no matter which kind you get.

Out of curiousity, from this thread, I ordered ear peace plugs. Nice packaging. Nice aluminum holder. Very comfortable. Like not even wearing plugs. And there was the problem. With the two lower level inserts, sound reduction at speed was imperceptible. With the highest (Black) inserts, the sound reduction was about what I’d get from putting a set of stock plastic Apple earbuds in. They sealed well. They just didn’t do the job. Generic foam plugs are just as good at letting me hear the noise of cars around me, but far better at decreasing roar from wind. Just one guy’s experience. I’ve used them for three days now, and tomorrow, I’ll be going back to effective disposable earplugs from Moldex.

Bill Lumberg posted,in part: With the two lower level inserts, sound reduction at speed was imperceptible. With the highest (Black) inserts, the sound reduction was about what I’d get from putting a set of stock plastic Apple earbuds in. They sealed well. They just didn’t do the job.
Chit. My Ear Peace kit came in Tuesday. Haven't had a chance to test 'em out yet.

Howard Leight by Honeywell TrustFit Pod Push-In Reusable Foam Earplugs, 100 Pairs Per Box

These work very well with MC helmets. (Shoei Multitec and Neotec) My wife and I both use them. (easily 200K plus miles) Even with Sena speakers in the helmets, they are very comfortable. Easy to position the flexible stem so it doesn't interfere. Work Great! We collapse/roll them b/4 inserting for the perfect fit and function, however, they advertise that collapsing them is not necessary.

Click

RJ9xSY3m.jpg
eS76gEcm.jpg

Keep Going!