Eclipse tank bag slides too much

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBEmerson

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I have an Eclipse bag which meets my needs but...

The front strap harness is wrapped around the front of the frame around the steering head. The single strap is attached to the frame so the strap comes out at the front of the saddle. All very much as Eclipse suggests.

Unless I put really outrageous tension on the straps, the bag slides left and right too readily. Not Good. Lots of tension also makes releasing and re-connecting the back strap a PITN when getting gas.

I have a '17 with gloss paint which, no surprise, makes skidding easier. I'd like to see how other Eclipse owners address this issue. Maybe making up a different non-scratch pad is the way to go?

I have a couple of different brand tank bags that use magnets to keep the bags in place. Still, to prevent any chance of them moving around I got some black rubber mesh drawer liner material from Target, which I cut to the bottom of the tank bags' shape and taped them to bottom of the bags with some gaffer's tape. This way the liners stay stuck to the bottom of the tank bag when I fill up. The bags are not moving during rides, and because of the soft rubber, the bottom of the tank bag won't scratch the paint below it.

I put 3M PPF on my tank and have an Oxford tank bag with magnets. Never moves, ever. Worked on 2 FJRs and a VFR as well.

I also have tourmaster eclipse bag system, great item. However, I also have the strap mount, don’t care for it much with this mount and looking for updates and may do as suggested on the comments. Tourmaster also makes the magnet base as a seperate item, but is on back order, uggghhh.. I have input my email address to alert me when this item becomes available if it ever does.

I have the Sw-Motech Pro Daypack tank bag. It needs a mounting ring which is extra but is really easy to install and doesn't detract from the look of the tank.

I'm really happy with it. Easy to put on and take off. Won't scratch the tank. You can lock it in place (extra) or make your own locking system. It holds what I need for a day out on the bike. If you're planning a longer trip, you may need a larger bag.

They also make other styles of tank bag and everyone I know who has one is very pleased with it.

Very highly recommend them.

SW-Motech Pro Tank Bags

Last edited:
I use a magnet tankbag with a anti slip mat between tank and bag, works a treat. this is the sort of Mat, mind I may have to change the bag soon as fitting a MV Motorrad bar riser and not sure of how much room I will have.