ECU Reflash Question...Turned Rev Limiter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunnyorlando

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I have a question regarding the ECU re-flash - a scenario that I don't remember having come up before the re-flash.

> Bike in gear - 1st., 2nd or 3rd

> Clutch pulled (open), 

> Stopped or rolling/coasting up to about 25~30 mph -apply throttle and rev limiter kicks in at about 4k RPM. So if you had a need to rev up to get a bit more power at that moment, its not happening.

> Is this a re-flash issue/change or are they all like this? I don't remember doing this before, but I did come up on a situation recently where I wanted that extra bit of power out of 3rd gear - momentarily -  and this is what I noticed, and that was in 3rd gear. Granted I dont do this often... So I tested 1st and 2nd - same thing. Now I wonder if this is one of the changes they made so you cannot over rev and release clutch, or is this standard for all?

Are you sure it's the actual rev limiting feature?  It could be a traction control feature too, yes?  Is the TC light coming on?

Are you sure it's the actual rev limiting feature?  It could be a traction control feature too, yes?  Is the TC light coming on?
It is definitely a rev limiting control. Just coast at slow up to about 30mph in 1st, 2nd or 3rd - pull (open) the clutch lever and rev up -  the limiter it kicks in at 4k.

I checked this weekend.  No rev limitiing on mine.  I checked it several times.  Then I checked it again, and again.
Were you going slow enough? Road speed is important. The limiter kicked in when I was moving at/below 35 kph, about 20 mph. At 42/45 kph no limiter.

-of course its possible the dealer didnt do the re-flash  .  .  .

-Steve

I experience something similar on my 2013A.  Drive normally with the RPM at about 3K (any gear), need to quickly accelerate to pass, give it handful of throttle and it will slowly accelerate (no traction control light comes on), but drop it a gear and it will jump forward with authority.  Previous bikes would respond with quicker acceleration in the same scenario.  First time I've experienced this was a puckering moment as I started to pass and another car from opposite direction was bearing down on my.  Now I need to ensure I keep the revs up before proceeding with a passing maneuver.  

One of the reasons why I was contemplating getting the Ivan's ECU re-flash....

Were you going slow enough? Road speed is important. The limiter kicked in when I was moving at/below 35 kph, about 20 mph. At 42/45 kph no limiter.

-Steve
I'll double check.  But it will have to wait until tomorrow.

-Steve
Correct, sped is important - I notice it up to about 30mph.

I may want to reverse the flash.. is that possible?

This post?

"The reflash interrupts the spark when bike is started (begins to move) in second gear with above idle revs. No other change. Also mentioned that there are no reported Canadian 2nd gear failures."

Sounds like it - my recall had not been done yet in Feb so I missed didn't pay much attention to this post - thanks. It happens with 1st, 2nd and 3rd - cannot go above 4k RPMs in this scenario

This post?

"The reflash interrupts the spark when bike is started (begins to move) in second gear with above idle revs. No other change. Also mentioned that there are no reported Canadian 2nd gear failures."

Sounds like it - my recall had not been done yet in Feb so I missed didn't pay much attention to this post - thanks. It happens with 1st, 2nd and 3rd - cannot go above 4k RPMs in this scenario
Yup, thats it.

-Steve

I tried some rolling accels from 20-25 mph and had no limiter kick in.  I'll try it again next time out.
If “rolling accels” are open throttle while moving at 20-25 mph that wont trigger the limiter.

What works for me - 

In either of the 2 lowest gears, traveling no faster than 22/25 mph, pull in clutch and open throttle. Limiter kicks in around 4k rpm.

-Steve

If “rolling accels” are open throttle while moving at 20-25 mph that wont trigger the limiter.

What works for me - 

In either of the 2 lowest gears, traveling no faster than 22/25 mph, pull in clutch and open throttle. Limiter kicks in around 4k rpm.

-Steve
Yep, that the symptom. I see it happen in 3rd as well and up to about 30mph.

I've had a chance to ride the bike more this week, picking up my daughter from her internship.  I will say the remapping totally sucks.  The throttle is really herky jerky, now, in either mode, in the 2-4K rev range.  Plus sometimes there is a bit of a stumble starting out from a stop. It may be exacerbated two-up.  I now plan to send the ECU out to Ivan after he returns from his vacation.

I've had a chance to ride the bike more this week, picking up my daughter from her internship.  I will say the remapping totally sucks.  The throttle is really herky jerky, now, in either mode, in the 2-4K rev range.  Plus sometimes there is a bit of a stumble starting out from a stop. It may be exacerbated two-up.  I now plan to send the ECU out to Ivan after he returns from his vacation.
No one else has reported anything similar to what you describe.

Perhaps a chat with the dealer that did the work ? Maybe something didnt get put together properly?

Just a thought.

-Steve