ECU Reflash Question...Turned Rev Limiter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I experience something similar on my 2013A.  Drive normally with the RPM at about 3K (any gear), need to quickly accelerate to pass, give it handful of throttle and it will slowly accelerate (no traction control light comes on), but drop it a gear and it will jump forward with authority.  Previous bikes would respond with quicker acceleration in the same scenario.  First time I've experienced this was a puckering moment as I started to pass and another car from opposite direction was bearing down on my.  Now I need to ensure I keep the revs up before proceeding with a passing maneuver.  

One of the reasons why I was contemplating getting the Ivan's ECU re-flash....

Were you in Touring mode maybe?

Any which way.. send the ECU to Ivan. Guaranteed smiles.

Sort of.  I am not smiling having to fill with mid-grade fuel after all the years of the normal gas.  I have Ivan's re-flash on my '13.  Normal ECU on my '14 and '17.  Not sure the (what I  consider) subtle improvements are worth the cost and need for mid-grade fuel.  

As for the original post, I think the symptoms you describe are part of the re-flash of the ECU.  But I don't understand why those symptoms are a big deal?

You won’t hit the (lower gear) limiter unless you’re purposely abusing your clutch. It doesn’t come into play no matter how hard you’re accelerating, in any gear, unless you’re murderating the clutch. 

Won’t happen with the clutch lever in. Won’t happen with the clutch lever out. 

Any which way.. send the ECU to Ivan. Guaranteed smiles.
Sent my ECU to Ivan a week ago today.  Out the door on monday, I had it back on friday.  Took a short test ride on saturday and a long ride yesterday.  Ivans reflash eliminated all the herky-jerky throttle response that appeared after the recall was done.  Nice and smooth throttle response, it got rid of all of the fuel cuts.  Plus I got the third riding mode (still getting to 'know it').  The reflash also eliminates the PAIR activation, so no block-off plates needed.

So far, I'm pretty happy with the results. 

I have also been contemplating Ivan's flash, but I see he tunes it with "corn fuel."

I run Ethanol-free, and that does not get the extra oxygenation from the 10% ethanol.  Does anyone know if he has an Ethanol-free version of his flash?

The reflash also eliminates the PAIR activation, so no block-off plates needed.
Sorry for being daft, but what is “PAIR activation”? I searched the forum but only found a bunch of posts about Bluetooth pairing.

I’m fortunate in that the throttle response was not at all affected when my ecu was reflashed during the recall. No jerky jerk when it went in, no difference when it came out. 

I like the ride mode and PAIR functionality described from Ivan’s flash. Sounds pretty cool. 

I took my bike in yesterday for the ECU flash 'recall' and they completed it in just a few mins.
They recall moved the rev limit for 1, 2 and 3rd gear that was kicking in at 4k RPM to 6k RPM. Frankly, had they moved the kick in point to 4500 or 5k would have been enough.
Everythine else reamins the same as to how the 'limit' is engaged in 1, 2 and 3rd gears.
This solves the issue for me.