Electrical farkles added over Christmas

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverHound

Reaction score
During the Christmas break and since my Fuzeblock showed up on the 26th I decided to tear into the FJR and add some of my accumulated farkles. All turned out very well with some minor "adjustments" needed now but overall I am pretty pleased.

I would have finished a day earlier but dropped an 8mm socket into the nether-regions of the bike innards and spent several hours taking it apart piece by piece until I found it.

Martin Driving Lights - these cost less than half of what Motolights cost and while some may argue with the quality, they were exactly what I was looking for. They come with a switch and wiring harness which I quickly dsipatched to make my own set-up.

MartinLights.jpg

Powerlet Plugs - Mounted them on the right side. One is switched power and one is constant.

Powerlets.jpg

LED License plate frame connected to Back-Off brake light module - I have it set for five flashes and then steady when I apply the brakes.

LEDs.jpg

Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter - I had one of these on my Valkyrie and it worked well. Photocell dims the LEDs in the dark. I need to build a little backplate to improve the viewing angle. A project for another day.

Voltmeter.jpg

Switches for the driving lights and hardwired garage door opener. The switch with the green LED is for the driving lights and the black one is a momentary on/off for the garage door opener. Both are waterproof and the bezel fit nicely into the stock dash opening with a little dremel trimming to enlarge the opening just a bit.

Switches.jpg

Here's the Fuzeblock. The garage door opener is hidden under there somewhere too. The external relay is for the driving lights to be turned off when the highbeams are on. This is actually opposite of how it should be but I wanted the driving lights to work with the low beams for better visability by others. I'll neaten up the wires when I get some more tie-wraps which I ran out of during the install. I also installed a 30amp fuse before the Fuzeblock just in case. I also have my Garmin Zumo GPS mount hooked into the Fuzeblock.

Fuseblock.jpg

All in all a fun three day project.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice setup and a good install. I wish I was better with the electrical stuff.....

Keep us posted on those lights. They look good and if they save a few bucks that wouldn't be bad either!!

Nice, I have collected a few farkles my self and need to get them installed. I bought the same powerlet set up, some heated gear and a Datel voltage meter, hope to get them installed before spring. So you like those lights? I might have to look into that.

So you like those lights? I might have to look into that.
Well like I said, the primary reason I bought them was to increase MY visability to others as I don't ride too much at night and for that purpose I think they will be fine. There are very few things that I can't justify the cost on if I want them bad enough but $350+ for Motolights is just too much IMO. The Martin lights were about $142 including shipping, mounted up nicely and seem to be pretty sturdy (not plastic housings). I did buy the wireloom to cover the wires separately as the sheathing they come with looks pretty cheesy but other than that in the two days they have been installed they seem to work fine.

They offer them in black, chrome and black with chrome trim. The FJR takes the "standard" kit. Here's the link to the website: Clicky Here

very nice and great pics - thanx.

per Motorcycle Consumer News "best buy" recommendation, for lights I went with Lazer Light Bullet Lights.

$135-$140 depending on finish/color, $35 harness with rocker switch ($30 with toggle), and $80 for cyclegadgets Martin fender bolt mounts on the forks.

Love 'em,

check pics in flickr acct using my sig click-on.

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

thats some cool stuff my 04 ebay fjr has the powerlet jacks on the left side and was wondering what runs off them???

thats some cool stuff my 04 ebay fjr has the powerlet jacks on the left side and was wondering what runs off them???
Well you can get an adapter to run just about anything off them that runs on 12VDC. My plans are to use the unswitched (30amp) one for connecting to a Battery Tender or hopefully never running my mini-compressor and the switched one is for heated gear.

I'm assuming they are mounted on the side of the bike to the frame ???

Usually, IMHO, they are for plugging in heated clothing like a vest (driver & passenger separate plug)

Any powerlet at any location can be used for a Battery Tender charging port.

I have one in the right side top panel running my unswitched elecrical farkles on the handlebar area until my on-order fuzeblock comes in and I will then clean up all the wiring to the powerlet and to the battery area.

Maybe someone else will chime in on this.

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'