Electrical problem!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaster

Reaction score
After trailering my 06' FJR1300ae from Indiana to Denver with a group of bikes, I unloaded it successfully and prepped for the next morning ride. This was to be a 10 day tour of Colorado. The next morning, after a hard rain the night before, I turned the key on and the bike instantly started. I immediately shut it off and made several more attempts with the same results. I then started looking for the cause, I disconnected some of my accessories and fiddled with wiring I could reach. It eventually started acting correctly. Road 60 miles, stopped for gas, wouldn't restart. Battery acted weak, using a lithium/ion battery. A nice older couple offered their jumper cables. After several attempts to crank it, smoke started rolling out the side of the bike. So, I caught a ride back to the motel where we left the truck & trailer, picked up the broke Yammy and drove it non-stop to Indiana. I switched it out for my 13' VFR1200f Honda and trailered it back to Colorado to catch up with my group, 2300 mile round trip. The rest of the trip went flawless, weather was near perfect, Honda didn't miss a beat, though luggage capacity was a little more restrictive.

I haven't torn into the FJR yet, does anyone have any thoughts on what I need to look for? Appreciate any feedback, thanks.

I turned the key on and the bike instantly started. I immediately shut it off and made several more attempts with the same results.
???
Suspect you didn't say what you meant to say...
You need to find the source of the smoke (obviously).
Start with the infamous ground "spiders". Although they get toasted, I wouldn't expect copious amounts of smoke.
I wonder if the starter motor cooked? There are occasional issues with starters but they don't normally burn up. If, however, it was drawing excessive current for an extended period of cranking, overheat is a distinct possibility. A "bad" starter can draw well over 150 amperes
I assume the battery wasn't smoking? Lithium battery might not like to be jumped.
You didn't say exactly where the smoke was coming from...

???
Suspect you didn't say what you meant to say...
You need to find the source of the smoke (obviously).
Start with the infamous ground "spiders". Although they get toasted, I wouldn't expect copious amounts of smoke.
I wonder if the starter motor cooked? There are occasional issues with starters but they don't normally burn up. If, however, it was drawing excessive current for an extended period of cranking, overheat is a distinct possibility. A "bad" starter can draw well over 150 amperes
I assume the battery wasn't smoking? Lithium battery might not like to be jumped.
You didn't say exactly where the smoke was coming from...
Yes, this is exactly what happened. Turned the key to the on position and the bike started without pushing the start button, multiple times. I suspected a stuck starter button and thought it got un-stuck after messing with it for a while. My other theory is the starter never disengaged and run the battery down during my 60 mile trip to a gas station and burned up trying to jump it, maybe? I have not started looking for the problem yet, it's my winter project. Just seeing if anyone had a similar problem or had some good advise. Thanks for the feedback.

I didn't understand (obviously). That sounds like a stuck starter relay was the root cause but the smoke might have been the starter itself (or anything else that didn't like the high continuous current). Relay for sure and you need to have a good look at the starter and associated wiring. I suppose it might have been the starter button or a wiring short but I think an internally welded relay is more likely.

Last edited:
I had an equivalent problem two years ago, and it comes from the starter relay which had stuck. As soon as I saw the bike start on its own, I didn't insist, so my starter was not damaged.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback. This gives me a couple good places to start looking. I'll let you know what I find, thanks...