Electronic Cruise Available?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, lets look at it a different way if you are NOT so TECHNICALLY inclined to do the install yourself:

1) Audiovox CCS100

Audiovox CCS100 Unit = $ 90

Skyway's mount = $100

Install at dealer @65/hr * 7 = $455

===

$645

2) MCCruise

Unit itself = $545

Install at dealer @65/hr * 3 = $195

===

$740

The difference isn't that significant if you look at it that way.

Best Regards,

Shane

You make VERY good points.

However,

[SIZE=36pt]$545[/SIZE]

:dribble: :blink: :huh: :eek:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...ETC.
It all comes down to what each individual wants / can afford / ability, etc.

I would love for everyone who thinks the $545 for the MCCruise is priced too high to come out with a plug-and-play solution for the FJR (use the Audiovox CCS100 as a base if you can).

Most riders I have talked to who have installed it said it was a 7+ hour job. Since I can't do it, I have to take them at their word.

Right now I am leaning towards the MCCruise as soon as they have a model for the FJR1300AE.

Best Regards,

Shane

for the $600 approx cost for either of these I can buy about 42 tanks of gas and run about 8,000 miles.
Dang, it sure makes that $20 Vista Cruise look good..
Makes my $50 Audiovox CC look even better!

BTW, either your FJR needs a tune-up, or your math is off.

42 fill-ups, not even full tanks, gets me 10,000 miles at a conservative 40mpg.

If I figure a full 6.6 gallons-per-tank at a VERY attainable 50 highway miles per gallon, 42 tanks gets me almost 14,000 miles. You need to ease off on the throttle JUST a touch. :)

Also, where are you buying gas at $2.16 a gallon?

[SIZE=8pt](Damn, don't ya just HATE assholes who check your math for ya?)[/SIZE]

Unbelievable what Google can do for ya...

Just found a dealer about 40 miles from me who sells and installs MC Cruise units for the FJR...

$589 + $150 installation.

Told me it's a 5 hour job on a cold bike. Won't work on a hot one. Told him I couldn't blame him. :)

I will never figure out why people want a cruise control on a motorcycle.

It's not like a car where you can take your foot off the pedal..... You gotta hold the handlebars, so you might as well twist the throttle too.

It's not like a car where you can take your foot off the pedal..... You gotta hold the handlebars, so you might as well twist the throttle too.
I can give you a couple of reasons why I want one:

1) To keep me within the speed limit at times.

2) The 2006 FJR1300 puts a strain on my right wrist after a long ride.

But again, each person can do as she/he wishes to their bike!

Best Regards,

Shane

C'mon...you're trolling, right? Half of us are half-in-the-bag old farts with neuritis, neuralgia, rheumatism, arthritis, carpal tunnel and worse. The more time we can "de-hand" the bars, either right or left, the longer we can ride.

Says who? One of my favorite superslab pasttimes is to lock the throttle, slide my fat ass up on the pillion portion of the seat, drape my legs over the tank, a-la Indian Larry fashion, and watch the miles glide by.

Kids in passing cars laugh their asses off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found this on Spoiled Biker:

Their description of MC cruise for '06:

Motorcycle Cruise Control Yamaha FJR1300 ABS 2006 Manual Shift **Free Shipping**

$589.00

Cruise Control Yamaha FJR1300 ABS', 'Motorcycle Cruise Uses the safe Cable Interface Unit (CIU) Tested and configured, specifically for the Yamaha FJR1300 ABS 2006 manual shift. Installation is "plug and play" no cutting of wires and virtually no modification of the standard motorcycle is required Five major components to the kit: computer,electronic actuator, CIU, Control switch, and electrical Harness for Yamaha FJR1300ABS 2006 manual shift May take up to two weeks to deliver.

Unfortunately, Indian Larry is dead...
Yeah...but he died as he lived...doing what he loved doing.

For those who didn't know, Indian Larry died from severe head injuries sustained during a crash while performing a stunt. He was not wearing a helmet. According to witnesses, the crash occured when the bike developed a wobble while Indian Larry was performing a stunt of standing on the seat. The wobble threw Larry off the bike.

So what killed him? The stunt? The wobble? The bike? Not wearing a helmet? The impact with the ground?

What's your point?

Found this on Spoiled Biker:
Their description of MC cruise for '06:

Motorcycle Cruise Control Yamaha FJR1300 ABS 2006 Manual Shift **Free Shipping**

$589.00

Cruise Control Yamaha FJR1300 ABS', 'Motorcycle Cruise Uses the safe Cable Interface Unit (CIU) Tested and configured, specifically for the Yamaha FJR1300 ABS 2006 manual shift. Installation is "plug and play" no cutting of wires and virtually no modification of the standard motorcycle is required Five major components to the kit: computer,electronic actuator, CIU, Control switch, and electrical Harness for Yamaha FJR1300ABS 2006 manual shift May take up to two weeks to deliver.
That's the dealer 40 miles from me I referred to in an earlier post.

got pix of thay spdt mounted?
Here you go, two pics of the switch mounted in the left switch cluster. It's in easy reach of my left index finger without taking my hand off the grip.

avcc1.jpg

avcc2.jpg

This single switch does everything I need it to do, and takes the place of the entire CC control pad. The CC is on all the time, so with the CC disengaged, pushing the switch down 'sets' the current speed, or pushing the switch up 'resumes' a previously set speed. If the CC is already engaged, then pushing the switch down = 'coast' while pushing the switch up = 'accel'. I may add a 2nd switch someday to act as master On/Off, but I doubt it. The servo doesn't seem to draw enough current to worry about it, plus it's individually fused on my Blue Sea power distribution block under the pillion seat so it's easy enough to pull the fuse if there's a problem.

Wiring was a piece of cake. In the wiring harness that goes to the control pad, there's a Green wire, a Brown wire, and a Yellow wire. At rest, none of these are connected to each other. For Accel/Resume, connect Brown to Yellow; and for Set/Coast connect Brown to Green. In other words, connect the Brown wire to the switch's center terminal, Green to the upper terminal, and Yellow to the lower terminal. I ran the wires inside the existing loom that runs up to the left switch cluster, so no new wires are visible. The other wires in the control pad harness are not used. I also connected the Brown wire to the Red wire (at the servo unit) in order to put 12VDC onto the Brown wire, although I'm not sure I had to do that.

The switch and rubber boot were ordered from Digi-Key using the following part numbers.

360-1091-ND SPDT Mini Toggle Switch

335-1003-ND Rubber boot, Black

The boot is used to completely weatherproof the switch, and comes in Red if you prefer.

I think that's about it! Easy peasy, and best of all, it all blends in and (nearly) looks like it belongs there. There's enough room in the switch cluster to add two more of these switches beside the one that I added, and there's room for yet another switch in the front of the cluster, just above the horn button where the Euro bikes have the high beam push button.

Credit to BrunDog for the idea.

got pix of thay spdt mounted?
Here you go, two pics of the switch mounted in the left switch cluster. It's in easy reach of my left index finger without taking my hand off the grip.

avcc1.jpg

avcc2.jpg

This single switch does everything I need it to do, and takes the place of the entire CC control pad. The CC is on all the time, so with the CC disengaged, pushing the switch down 'sets' the current speed, or pushing the switch up 'resumes' a previously set speed. If the CC is already engaged, then pushing the switch down = 'coast' while pushing the switch up = 'accel'. I may add a 2nd switch someday to act as master On/Off, but I doubt it. The servo doesn't seem to draw enough current to worry about it, plus it's individually fused on my Blue Sea power distribution block under the pillion seat so it's easy enough to pull the fuse if there's a problem.

Wiring was a piece of cake. In the wiring harness that goes to the control pad, there's a Green wire, a Brown wire, and a Yellow wire. At rest, none of these are connected to each other. For Accel/Resume, connect Brown to Yellow; and for Set/Coast connect Brown to Green. In other words, connect the Brown wire to the switch's center terminal, Green to the upper terminal, and Yellow to the lower terminal. I ran the wires inside the existing loom that runs up to the left switch cluster, so no new wires are visible. The other wires in the control pad harness are not used. I also connected the Brown wire to the Red wire (at the servo unit) in order to put 12VDC onto the Brown wire, although I'm not sure I had to do that.

The switch and rubber boot were ordered from Digi-Key using the following part numbers.

360-1091-ND SPDT Mini Toggle Switch

335-1003-ND Rubber boot, Black

The boot is used to completely weatherproof the switch, and comes in Red if you prefer.

I think that's about it! Easy peasy, and best of all, it all blends in and (nearly) looks like it belongs there. There's enough room in the switch cluster to add two more of these switches beside the one that I added, and there's room for yet another switch in the front of the cluster, just above the horn button where the Euro bikes have the high beam push button.

Credit to BrunDog for the idea.
How long did it take to install this cruise control with spdt switch? How much quicker do you think this install is compared to installing cruise control in Skyway's case?

FJRayJ

How long did it take to install this cruise control with spdt switch? How much quicker do you think this install is compared to installing cruise control in Skyway's case?
FJRayJ
I spent about 2 hours on a Friday evening, taking off panels and getting the work area ready, then on Saturday I started early, say a little after 10 AM, and was ready for the test ride by 4:30. During that time I took a short lunch break, did a TBS, adjusted throttle cable free play, changed grips, and generally took my time poking around under the tank, so a dedicated and skilled person could easily do it quicker.

I guess it's hard to say which way is faster because I didn't do it both ways. :p It's probably pretty close either way.

Please call me when you're into day 9 of 11, at 3am, with most days being at (or over) 1000 miles.

RadioHowie - you are correct, your numbers are more accurate but I figured if I threw out really large numbers no one would pay attention.

10,000 miles is a lot of riding for the $600 figure that's being bantered about.

BTW, my 05 FJR is averaging 45 mpg every day on my commute and I got 52 mpg at steady highway riding on trips the last two weekends.

No, it does not need a tuneup..

Maybe some of you guys need to work out a little more to develop those limp wrist muscles?

But hey, it's your money and your bike so spend it how you want to...

RadioHowie - you are correct, your numbers are more accurate but I figured if I threw out really large numbers no one would pay attention.

In other words, do what most posters on the forum do...

"Blind 'em with bullshit!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please call me when you're into day 9 of 11, at 3am, with most days being at (or over) 1000 miles.

I can't call you; I'm holding the handlebars and twisting the throttle 'cuz I don't have a cruise control--duh.... :lol:

I have had the MC Cruise installed for about 90 days and it has worked flawlessly so far. Yeah it was damn expensive plus I had it installed at a dealer at 79.00/hour. Took 3 hours. How do I justify it. First I suck working on bikes and the frustration of me trying to install any unit is not worth the aggravation. :angry: Second I picked up 2 overtime shifts due to the crime being up in Mpls and it was paid for. I'll take two days of locking up assholes which I still enjoy, :yahoo: over wrenching on my bike anyday! Third my right hand goes numb constantly and risers were no help. When I commute 60 miles to work each day this is the only thing that gives me relief. Don't get down on people for spending money on items to improve their comfort if they are not mechanically inclined. I may suck at working on the bike but I don't have a line of people wanting to do my job either.

I have had the MC Cruise installed for about 90 days and it has worked flawlessly so far. Yeah it was damn expensive plus I had it installed at a dealer at 79.00/hour. Took 3 hours. How do I justify it. First I suck working on bikes and the frustration of me trying to install any unit is not worth the aggravation. :angry: Second I picked up 2 overtime shifts due to the crime being up in Mpls and it was paid for. I'll take two days of locking up assholes which I still enjoy, :yahoo: over wrenching on my bike anyday! Third my right hand goes numb constantly and risers were no help. When I commute 60 miles to work each day this is the only thing that gives me relief. Don't get down on people for spending money on items to improve their comfort if they are not mechanically inclined. I may suck at working on the bike but I don't have a line of people wanting to do my job either.
First, congrats! As soon as they finish this AE model, I am going to have one installed.

I am never sure why others are so quick to say something is overpriced and they don't offer a similar solution. It would be interesting to find out what many of the people, who seem to jump into EVERY thread with their 2 cents about something being overpriced, what they do for a living.

Best Regards,

Shane