electronic cruise control

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is your skill level? We gots some folks here that think nothing of pulling the engine out, spitting the cases and rebuilding the transmission and have the motorcycle actually run right when they are done. Then we have others that may be a Geek god but in the garage he's an 'Andy Cap where bolts fall out and fuses blow just by his mere presence
wink.png

Three sides to the answer. 1. buy a '13 FJR and never worry. 2. buy a Murphs Kit and do some 6 out of 10 difficulty wiring and 7 out of 10 mechanical connections and 3 out of 10 vacuum plumbing with scantly sufficient documentation and some hand holding on the Forum. 3. for 5 x the $$$ get a MCCruise where the kit is complete for a FJR, there are excellent instructions but the end product is almost exactly like the Murphs Kit in operation and installation. Those instructions are very expensive.

And option D. an all electronic cruise which installs just like the vacuum operated cruise controls less the vacuum hose. So far the completely electronic cruise controls do not perform any better than a vacuum unit.

For most people it is worth it. If you are a cruise user in your car you will love it. There is a local FJR owner that thought so little of the cruise control that he took the time and effort to uninstall it instead of ignoring it. I will probably never have another motorcycle without an electronic controlled cruise control of some sort.

There is A LOT of cruise control information in the Forum that a little digging can find.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or go the easiest route and use a throttlemeister. Round here I hardly use it because my FJR likes curves, not long boring slabs of highway.

A cruse control on a bike it totally worth it!! I have installed 3. 2 of them were the vacuum type and the other was the Rostra all electric. I put the Rostra on my first FJR and I could never get it tuned to work right. It would engage and hold speed but as soon as I went over a hill it would get off and try to correct and just keep over correcting. It would start pulsing back and forth hunting for the right speed and just get worse and worse until I cut it off and reset it. I SWORE to myself that if I ever got another FJR I'd put a vacuum type on the next time. thats what I did and I'm very happy with it.

As for installation, There is a lot to it but its not to hard. I'd say 7 out of 10...

Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought about getting a CC on a bike. Then I had a Goldwing for a couple of years. I was spoiled rotten! I do like the FJR a whole lot better, but I sure do miss the CC.

I put a McCruise electronic cruise control on my '06. There are a lot of parts and one has to take off a lot of plastic and install cabling in the engine compartment. Took me quite some time. However, it worked flawlessly and IMHO is well worth it... Out here in the west it is common to have to travel long distances and it is nice to be able to unlimber one's throttle hand and sit up straight. (Especially when one crosses 65 years of age.) I used it often, even when riding in "loose formation". After the demise of my '06 and after a 3 year wait, I just bought a Gen III, the stock cruise is one of the main reasons...other than I wanted another FJR! Brand new, but I love it already! The fact it disengages at 80 mph doesn't bother me a bit.

There have been quite a few posts on Electronic Cruise Control Installations like this one

if you want to find more, try typing something like this in your favourite search engine:

rostra global cruise installation site:fjrforum.com

Enjoy the reading...................

I'm installing my 3rd. Murph's kit right now. It definitely gets a lot easier after a couple of installs. All mine were on AE's which created some extra problems as to where to mount the control unit. Combining information from several sources allowed me to install a beautiful custom set-up that you can hardly notice. Only a micro switch can be seen. No plastics were needed to be removed, just a little flexing. I can install one now in about 3 hrs. if no-one bothers me. And yes, the vacuum controlled cruise is super smooth. Even going to work, which is only 15 minutes away, I use the cruise as it will save me many speeding tickets.

Good luck.

I did install on my 07' MC Cruise four years ago. It is expensive but after 55.000 km It works perfectly and I did not have any single problem so far. You will receive complete set with all what you need, unit is relatively easy to install and it is very reliable.