Electronic interference?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiggerDr.

Reaction score
I have noticed at times while driving my 2008  Jeep that when in close proximity to a semi truck, my TPM system goes out. It eventually comes back after distancing myself from trucks. This has happened several times. Only while interstate driving. My 2015 Challenger never does that. I'm guessing that 2 way radio, (possibly running at illegal power levels) is the problem. My question is, Has anyone else ever had an intermittant electronic issue with their electronic accessories? I want to add GPS,mapping and communications but want to avoid issues if possible. It may be that the Jeep has older more sensitive systems. This Jeep has 197,000 miles and the ONLY time it has ever done this is interstate driving in close proximity to trucks. It would not be good to lose trip routing for  miles if time was an issue.

DiggerDR,

I can believe that happened, but I think it may be proximity (blindspot) radar, rather than comm radios.  Truckers may chat, but they will not be transmitting continuously, while blindspot radar is never off, and it's possible that it may increase in amplitude or pulse rate when a target is nearby.  As for GPS and other gadgets, it will probably be a case-by-case issue; try out the gadget, and see if it is affected by other vehicles. A number of older radar detectors have become almost useless now, because expensive civilian vehicles set off the alarms.  It may be wise to contact manufacturers directly to ask if their gadget would be affected by other vehicles.  I doubt there will be any one answer to that problem, to cover all possibilities.

I appreciate your reply. And thats probably as close as I'm going to get with that question. I do know personally that a citizens band radio with an amplifier will bleed over into older cell phones TV's and car radios. I dont drive the Jeep unless snow is forecasted but I'll keep an eye out and see if there are any other common things around when it does that.

Just checked, TPMS frequency is 315 Megahertz which is well above C.B. radios at 27 megahertz....Hmmmm.

Many truckers use aftermarket TPMS with repeaters, like Doran.

Those repeaters might be drowning your vehicle signals.

The only interference I have run into is having the sat radio antenna to close to a Zumo GPS. Killed the bluetooth.

YMMV

-Steve

DiggerDr,

Once you get past the intended operating frequency, radio gear runs at an Intermediate Frequency (IF) and that IF may be common to a variety of radio gear.  Once a strong signal blasts through the channnelizing stage, it can overpower the normal IF signals, and you can get interference, bleed-through, or unexpected results (such as inoperable, for the intended use).  Stronger signals can interfere with more gadgets, even when the designated frequencies of each device are not close.

That makes sense. When this happens, Warning chime, display shows tire pressure individually for all 4. One at a time the number value will go to .... until all 4 read that. After indeterminate time they come back one at a time. Just wondered if anyone else had an issue like this with their electronics. It could be the system in the Jeep is more susceptible than other electronics.

In 1998 when I worked for one of the county highway departments, mounting the county's 2 way radio by removing the new Ram dash mounted cup holders and placing the radio there would cause the wipers to swipe once every time the microphone was keyed up. Moving the radio solved that.

I believe what all of this is telling me is to buy top tier electronics. I'd be willing to bet there is some cheap knock offs on the market.